• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persistent ear infection - U/D Smudge & Harley gone

sorry . . i should have re-read all the thread.

we did have a CT scan (or MRI I dont know which is which really - but involved being placed in a long tube and having 'sectional' images repeated) of Parsleys ear which revealed the location and extent of the problem. Much deeper than expected.

Not to worry..lots of posts to re-read!!!! Thanks for helping though!! :D

Right....good and bad news!:roll:

Harley - some disharge in ear,but not enough to warrant flushing, so she is to be rehecked next week... I think she may be deaf in right ear as she is very skittish now and doesn't move this ear at all, whereas left ear moves when she is listening! Typical! Other than that, she is a lot more her usual self!!! Thank God!

Smudge - less discharge than last wk, but more inflammation. She did have to have ears flushed today! Vet also says that she now has burst ear drums, which they suspected last wk. In herself, generally ok, but not so enthusiastic at feeding time, even though she is still eating.

Both on Septrin until beginning of next wk, when vets get in Zithromax!! They agree that we now need to change ab! Also, have to put Smudge on metacam aswell.

Vet did say that Harley is definitely improving so far.:D

Fingers crossed they keep improving!!!!
:wave::p:love:

Glad you've seen some improvement...that's got to be a good sign :D

If you don't have pet insurance, you might find that it's much cheaper to get a prescription for zithromax and buy it from a chemist. My vets charge nearly £25 per bottle, but it's only about £8 from my nearest chemist.

Sending lots more 'get well' vibes x

Glad you've seen some improvement...that's got to be a good sign :D

If you don't have pet insurance, you might find that it's much cheaper to get a prescription for zithromax and buy it from a chemist. My vets charge nearly £25 per bottle, but it's only about £8 from my nearest chemist.

Sending lots more 'get well' vibes x

Thanks!! Luckily they are both insured with Petplan!!! Vet did say it may be expensive!
;)

Fridays visit went fairley well...

Smudge didn't have to have ears flushedrhis time, but Harley did. Pus came away nicely fro left ear, nutation quite sticky and stubborn in right ear. Vet agrees that Harley probably deaf in this ear also, as it doesn't move at all and she has become skittish...

Head swaying still minimal.

Both are now on Zithromax. Watching carefully for changes in behaviour and poops!!! Also on Lacto b9, to keep gut healthy!!

So far, both eating ok and pooping....even had binkys round the garden again today-mainly
Smudge!!! She was having a right old party!!! Harley bit more tame...few laps..stopped..another lap...stopped....

Harley will take new ab by syringe but reluctantly... Smudge...well...thats a whole heap of stress!!! Smudge tries to spit back out!!! Great fun!!!

Both back again for check on Friday, so hopefully new ab will be working well, as Septrin didn't seem very effective!!

Well, we tried Zithromax for 4wls and it did nothing. Far from impressed considering cost!!!

Back to Septrin and on fortnightly flushes instead of weekly!

Any more ideas?? I'm at my wits end...cost £3000 odd so far!!

Both ate happy and well.

parsley is just on permanent baytril and genticin - the cultures say it shouldn't work - but it does (at least keeps it at bay). he had to come off them recently when he was on penicillin (injected) for something else (an abscess from a wound on his back) and the ear got worse when he was of them . . so he is back on them now.

Hi!

Not such good news for the buns! Where one vet had them on a 2wk break, they have gotten worse again!! Diff vet is concerned! She said if Zithromax didn't work, penicillin wouldn't as from same family, she said baytril not effective! On Septrin still.

Does your bun have burst eardrums, coz she said about trying ear drops again....but is reluctant if dgums burst. I dont want to do surgery as too risky and not fair on them...

At a point now where I may have to make that decision. If no improvement I think it solid bd fairer to them as you never know how much they are suffering!:cry::cry:

Gutted!!:cry::cry:

After having infection confirmed as Staphylococus, and being sensitive to Baytril, buns started to go downhill after 3 wks of meds end of June/beginning of July! Stopped baytril due to dramatic weight loss. Tried to get weight back on using various methods, slow progress, Smudge even had teeth done, due to both having gunky, moist eyes. No difference.

Usage slowly worsening-less active, no binkying, unbalanced,etc.

Harley went downhill overnite. Diahrhea, hunched over, not eating.

Went to bets tonite and minimal stuff left to do. Harley's blood tests from several weeks ago showed liver/kidney issues aswell.

Made the awful decision to have them both PTS.

Heartbroken!!! Tried so hard to nurse them back to even 60/70% health, but failed. :cry:

Thanks to All of you that helped and gave advice.

Back