• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with uninsulated sheds

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Afternoon all!

The rabbits 8ft x 6ft shed is becoming rather damp inside, it's getting worse! :shock::cry:

Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? I can't insulate the shed until the better weather and hopefully get it dried out!

This shed is only a year old and already I want to tear it down and buy a new one FULLY INSULATED!

HELP!

As a quick, cheap and temporary measure, could you perhaps staple bubblewrap around the inside of the shed? Obviously making sure the buns can't nibble away at it. Or buy some cheap chipboard and screw into existing wood?

I hope you manage to sort something out best for you and the buns.:thumb:

I've had exactly the same problem. I guess mine was a cheap argos shed (8x6) and despite best efforts putting it together, it still had gaps. I don't think it helps that I have shrubs touching the back end, so water drips off the shrub onto the shed wall. I had got half way through insulating it with insulating bubble wrap type stuff in between the outer wood and tongue & groove on the inside. The rain just soaks up from the bottom :(

My only solution was to bring my buns indoors, they had the dining room for about 18 months but recently I moved them to bedroom (very expensive solution, as I had to move my son out of his bedroom and get bunkbeds...and the buns decided to strip the wall paper:shock:)

Due to possible severe allergy I had contemplated moving them back to shed (with heating!) so I put a humidity reader inside the shed and it got to 90% :shock:

Unfortunately the wet weather doesn't help...I have no idea how I'm going to fix my shed (though putting it on stilts may help :lol:)

Afternoon all!

The rabbits 8ft x 6ft shed is becoming rather damp inside, it's getting worse! :shock::cry:

Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it? I can't insulate the shed until the better weather and hopefully get it dried out!

This shed is only a year old and already I want to tear it down and buy a new one FULLY INSULATED!

HELP!

How much ventilation do you have?

Ideally you should provide more ventilation or you have a leak somewhere. Like 2 vents each side or at least one vent each side.
Most sheds aren't built to house pets.

It'll be condensation, you could get a dehumidifier or a bucket or a few buckets of rock salt, which is apparently a natural dehumidifier and all you have to do it dry it out and use again,

You can get rock salt from 99p store too

Rock Salt Homemade Dehumidifier
Rock salt is an affordable and reusable option that works steadily to dry air over a long period. Much like the silica gel, rock salt is a desiccant and can reduce air moisture without electricity or much preparation. The common approach is to fill a clean 5-gallon bucket with rock salt, let sit until the crystals are wet to the touch, pour the rock salt onto a tarp or plastic sheet and let dry before collecting in the bucket for reuse. Good air ventilation is key to the success of this method.

Last edited:
My shed is metal, and has lots of ventilation its open all day, its 8ftx10ft has ventalation all round the top on all 4 sides and we still get very damp through condensation, to the point, when its really cold, it drips from the ceiling, we either have to put a heater in, or get a dehumidifier, it freezes and makes the shed very cold, like a freezer, and holds the heat, oil filled heater is our life saver!

mine has started too and its relatively new. The weathr is just so incredibly wet I am unsure if you can stop it as wood is inevitably going to draw up moisture... My door has even warped.

i have foam playmats on the floor which are keeping the floor lovely and dry... The hutch is fab and snug....

See we have 4 sheds, 1 insulated and 3 unisulated, the only one suffering with the condensation/water is the one with rabbits in, the rest are bone dry, which is where we think the moisture is coming from due to raised temperature

Ours is a second hand one we got in September. Seemed perfectly fine but now the floor has rotted:roll: so have a very thick board over it and the roof was leaking :roll: so replaced the felt on the roof on the weekend.

Like you said, feel like burning the thing to the ground and starting again.

Since we put new felt on with the bituman adhesive it has been completely dry inside.

Last edited:
mine has started too and its relatively new. The weathr is just so incredibly wet I am unsure if you can stop it as wood is inevitably going to draw up moisture... My door has even warped.

i have foam playmats on the floor which are keeping the floor lovely and dry... The hutch is fab and snug....

Yes wood does soak in water but there are treatments to stop this, also good ventilation will also pay a big part in this. If the timber stays wet, it rots, if it gets to dry out it be fine.

Thanks Ganiel. i treated it with ducksback woodstain? Is this appropriate or not? Couldnt see a water repellant..

Our existing garden shed which cost us a fortune is aslo suffering and this is the first time since we got it...

Scotland has rained literally every day since amarch and really hasnt had time ti dry out... Grrrr!!,!

my sheds are insulated, but I have found that guttering and a water butt help massively in
keeping the shed dry as it prevents all the rainwater fAlling off the roof and bouncing back into the base of the shed

Thanks Ganiel. i treated it with ducksback woodstain? Is this appropriate or not? Couldnt see a water repellant..

Our existing garden shed which cost us a fortune is aslo suffering and this is the first time since we got it...

Scotland has rained literally every day since amarch and really hasnt had time ti dry out... Grrrr!!,!

Garden shades is something that stops water soaking in. If you provide details of the problem, pictures i maybe able to help. Its all how its built, if its built wrongly, it won't help.

my sheds are insulated, but I have found that guttering and a water butt help massively in
keeping the shed dry as it prevents all the rainwater fAlling off the roof and bouncing back into the base of the shed

Ah that is very interesting. All that water going back under the shed may rot floors.

Keeping out as much water as you can is obviously important, so fix up any leaks or holes and try to stop any water soaking up from the ground. In this weather though the wood hasn't had a chance to dry out properly between the wet periods. The best you may be able to do is to regularly wipe down the surfaces with a damp, clean, cloth to stop any mould forming.

Guttering will help alot, but even a insulated shed the timber can rot if there isn't enough ventilation between the walls.

Back