• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with trios/groups

i had two bonded boys but after been seperated for two days after one bun had a minor op when they were re-introduced it resulted in a major fight, emergency vets and another op for poor george :( they now have seperate hutch/run combi's along side each other for company but can no longer be allowed out together. I have since been told that maybe the other bun (bailey) should of been brought in and the hutch disinfected to rid of smells and then both buns been put back out together as advised by my very rabbit savvy vet. Hope this helps :) bear in mind i had them seperated for two days not just a couple of hours, i wish i had sought advise like you have beforehand xx

Thanks Steph :) Is your house within walking distance from the train station? Im wondering wether to put their pen and their stuff in a suitcase and walk to yours for their mini holiday :lol:

It's about...25 mins walk roughly, depending on how heavy the stuff is you're carrying :lol: Takes me a bit longer when I'm lugging my suitcase with me!

It's about...25 mins walk roughly, depending on how heavy the stuff is you're carrying :lol: Takes me a bit longer when I'm lugging my suitcase with me!

:shock: Ill get mum to drive me in the car then, theyre heavy enough just walking from the car park to the vets! :lol:

I took ava to the vets the other day- she stayed overnight- i put her back the following day with rose and athena but in a different cage. They were fine. Hope this helps.

I usually take bonded groups in together, but i didn't as it was an emergency pick up with the vet. They do go back together if they are well bonded.

We are in the process at the moment of bonding a Mother and Daughter (Katie and Koko) with Kenzo who lost his companion Hope in November.

Kenzo and Hope live in a long hutch and so when Hope died and we got Katie and Koko we put a divide down the middle of the long hutch so that the two girls could see and smell Kenzo and he could see and smell them.

He is smitten with both but more with the Daughter Koko, we have been letting them out all together in a space that none of them have been before and they were brilliant but we are finding that Katie will put her head under Kenzo's face for washing and he won't wash her, and he will put his head under her face for washing and she won't wash him and this is causing the problem as it ends up with either Katie going for him or Kenzo going for Katie and then a scuffle breaks out and we take Kenzo away and try again the next day. There is no problem at all with Koko and Kenzo they are well in love but there is no way we are prepared to take Katie away from her Daughter Koko. Katie certainly isn't nasty due to protecting Koko it's seem's to be this 'head washing' thing and who's the dominant one. :?

We so want it to work out :(

I could come meet you to help if you couldnt get a lift :)

Thanks, ill let you know closer to the time. Im sure mum wont mind though :)

I took ava to the vets the other day- she stayed overnight- i put her back the following day with rose and athena but in a different cage. They were fine. Hope this helps.

I usually take bonded groups in together, but i didn't as it was an emergency pick up with the vet. They do go back together if they are well bonded.

I think i would maybe take the 2 girls to the vet if one was going, as i think it will be Dolly that has the problem. Marley had one hell of a problem with a buck that was staying with me once, he wasnt neutered, but it ended in referred aggression towards Dolly. This is something im worried about.

We are in the process at the moment of bonding a Mother and Daughter (Katie and Koko) with Kenzo who lost his companion Hope in November.

Kenzo and Hope live in a long hutch and so when Hope died and we got Katie and Koko we put a divide down the middle of the long hutch so that the two girls could see and smell Kenzo and he could see and smell them.

He is smitten with both but more with the Daughter Koko, we have been letting them out all together in a space that none of them have been before and they were brilliant but we are finding that Katie will put her head under Kenzo's face for washing and he won't wash her, and he will put his head under her face for washing and she won't wash him and this is causing the problem as it ends up with either Katie going for him or Kenzo going for Katie and then a scuffle breaks out and we take Kenzo away and try again the next day. There is no problem at all with Koko and Kenzo they are well in love but there is no way we are prepared to take Katie away from her Daughter Koko. Katie certainly isn't nasty due to protecting Koko it's seem's to be this 'head washing' thing and who's the dominant one. :?

We so want it to work out :(

Good Luck! :) The way your bonding this trio is the way i bonded Marley & Dolly, with gradual introductions. Whats the preferred method? Doing it this way, or putting them in a smallish pen and keeping watching them day and night?

Last edited:
I think i would maybe take the 2 girls to the vet if one was going, as i think it will be Dolly that has the problem. Marley had one hell of a problem with a buck that was staying with me once, he wasnt neutered, but it ended in referred aggression towards Dolly. This is something im worried about.
before I bonded mine I had them in cages next to each other (it was quite a while as we had to get Eli up to full health before we neutered him) and occasionally the girls did fight because of referred aggression, mainly when Eli was allowed to run too close to their run. I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about, as often it's just that they're frustrated with the situation.
I think since all rabbits really are complex individuals it's best just to see how things go rather than worry about it too much before hand.

in case you're interested this is how I bonded the trio:
-had them living next to each other for a while
-tried one short introduction that went horribly because it was in the garden (not neutral) and the space was too big
- moved house and did a 24 hour bond up in the bathroom
- put them in a new shed and run in a new garden.

We did start with a small space in the shed as recommended on here but the bunnies destroyed the pen so we just let them have it all and they were fine.
I was so worried after the first introduction that it wasn't going to work but it was unbelievably easy when we did it properly.:D

good luck with it.

Back