• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet Combinations

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Hello :wave:

So I'm going over everything I do with Neo to try and find the most fitting way of life for his health, this has lead me to have lots of questions, one of which is about his diet.

After having a bit of a matted chin, I've been upping his hay (replenishing more frequently) and adding grass and herbs to his diet.

Originally when I first got him, he was on P@H pellets, he was transferred to SS, Burgess Excel and FibaFirst. Don't know why such a cocktail (I think back then I thought he'd get bored) but I'm now concerned that he may be getting upset belly due to the combination even if he's been fed this for the last year.

Ideally I'd like him off pellets altogether but believe that some benefit comes from them. I think I want to move to FF and grass/hay/herb combination but would like to know what damage such a mixed pellet diet might actually have been done by this?

I've searched the forum but it doesn't really answer my questions :)

So long as none have been fed in large quantities I can't see that having a combination would do any harm.

I started my Boys on Beaphars, but found it gave Clo a sticky bum, so gradually changed him over to SS, along with Dan who lived with him. Then I started adding Pro-fibre pellets to the SS, again to help Clo's gut.

Butters refused to change from Beaphars, so he still gets that, and now I'm bonding him and Clo I've been adding a few Beaphars to Clos mix for the past few days ready for the changeover. I'll be weaning him off the SS, but still keeping the pro-fibre in the mix.

My vote will always go for a pellet free diet whenever possible. I am on a bit of a mission with this now having seen the amazing improvement in the over-all GI tract health of my Rabbits. A few of my oldies do still need a hard feed to keep weight on. A good variety of hays/grass/forages plus some fresh herbs and edible weeds is the diet I personally think to be best. If I give any 'treats' at all it is half a Fibafirst stick.

So, in answer to your question I dont think the fact that you have fed a 'pellet cocktail' will have caused too much long term damage, apart from the 'upset belly' which could be due to him having too many pellets and also the 'matted chin' which might point toward a potential Dental problem. I feel both issues could be addressed by moving to a pellet free diet, or if you feel you must feed him some pellets I'd go for the Fibafirst or Vetcare Plus, only a very small amount too !

So long as none have been fed in large quantities I can't see that having a combination would do any harm.

I started my Boys on Beaphars, but found it gave Clo a sticky bum, so gradually changed him over to SS, along with Dan who lived with him. Then I started adding Pro-fibre pellets to the SS, again to help Clo's gut.

Butters refused to change from Beaphars, so he still gets that, and now I'm bonding him and Clo I've been adding a few Beaphars to Clos mix for the past few days ready for the changeover. I'll be weaning him off the SS, but still keeping the pro-fibre in the mix.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one, I guess each pellet has a different outcome in the end :)

My vote will always go for a pellet free diet whenever possible. I am on a bit of a mission with this now having seen the amazing improvement in the over-all GI tract health of my Rabbits. A few of my oldies do still need a hard feed to keep weight on. A good variety of hays/grass/forages plus some fresh herbs and edible weeds is the diet I personally think to be best. If I give any 'treats' at all it is half a Fibafirst stick.

So, in answer to your question I dont think the fact that you have fed a 'pellet cocktail' will have caused too much long term damage, apart from the 'upset belly' which could be due to him having too many pellets and also the 'matted chin' which might point toward a potential Dental problem. I feel both issues could be addressed by moving to a pellet free diet, or if you feel you must feed him some pellets I'd go for the Fibafirst or Vetcare Plus, only a very small amount too !

Thanks for your input Jane, I'd love for him to be pellet free, of course I need to improve my foraging skills past grass, dandelions (flowers and leaves) and occasional rose leaves/buds!

I've looked for a few guides online but still don't know how confident I feel! I can get lots of bramble, should I be feeding branches? Or removing the leaves only for him to eat? Some advice contradicts :?

I give all mine brambles, the whole thing. They usually leave a few bits of the stalk, but eat some of it. I give them pellets (harringtons) mainly cos they love them so much but have been feeling for sometime that it would be good to cut them down (handful each and two handfuls for the belgian hares atm).

Interesting to see what Jane has to say re; gi tract health.

Mine have hay (local bales and occasional hay for pets ings), hand picked grass, dandelions, etc and some herbs and veg. (not much veg these days). They all look very healthy and sleek.

I will be interested to see how you get on.

I've looked for a few guides online but still don't know how confident I feel! I can get lots of bramble, should I be feeding branches? Or removing the leaves only for him to eat? Some advice contradicts :?

I remove the stalks simply because otherwise mine leave them for me to stand on :roll: :lol:

I find herb plants from a garden centre do well. Mint is especially good, pot it into a bigger pot (don't put it in the garden, it goes mad!) and it'll come back each year. Fennel and sage are good as well. Parsley always grows strongly too but it only lasts a couple of years.

Hello :wave:

So I'm going over everything I do with Neo to try and find the most fitting way of life for his health, this has lead me to have lots of questions, one of which is about his diet.

After having a bit of a matted chin, I've been upping his hay (replenishing more frequently) and adding grass and herbs to his diet.

Originally when I first got him, he was on P@H pellets, he was transferred to SS, Burgess Excel and FibaFirst. Don't know why such a cocktail (I think back then I thought he'd get bored) but I'm now concerned that he may be getting upset belly due to the combination even if he's been fed this for the last year.

Ideally I'd like him off pellets altogether but believe that some benefit comes from them. I think I want to move to FF and grass/hay/herb combination but would like to know what damage such a mixed pellet diet might actually have been done by this?

I've searched the forum but it doesn't really answer my questions :)

I have seen so many rabbits who have started off on much worse diets than the one you describe and they have been 'rehabilitated' and are much better for it. That doesn't necessarily mean they have given up pellets altogether. For some rabbits they are an 'insurance' that they get the necessary vitamins and minerals they need. Also, some rabbits have dental issues and hay and tough leaves/ forage etc doesn't work at all.

I also find that genetics play a very important part in a rabbits' health and well-being.

Pellet free/ forage only diets are all very well, but difficult to maintain all year round, and for some people in some locations, hard to manage at all. I find a lot of low nutrient veggies are useful, which is contrary to a lot of the information given on here, where people feel they should feed only nutrient dense food to their buns.

We are all trying our best :wave:

Back