• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Parasites treatment

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello everyone, one of the girls got xeno 450 today for parasites infection. She got it on at vets at 11am. Since then she’s not been active & hadn’t moved from under the bush. They like to hide in there. She came out just now & was sitting on grass. I put some hay & water under the bush & she’s been drinking. I was just a bit worried that she might have taken a reaction as it said something about this on leaflet inside med. has anyone’s bunny been on this & been lethargic like that? Perhaps it’s normal xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had a Rabbit who had an adverse reaction to Xeno 450. If your Rabbit is not eating or pooing then I would contact a Vet today as gut stasis could occur.

I have never had a Rabbit who had an adverse reaction to Xeno 450. If your Rabbit is not eating or pooing then I would contact a Vet today as gut stasis could occur.

Hello, was just coming in here to post that she’s out eating grass now [emoji846]. Maybe it was the stress of the vets or perhaps it just made her feel a bit rubbish as some meds can do to us. Thank you for commenting that’s reassuring. I will be keeping an eye on her pooing & eating incase of gut status. Can I ask if you’d advice giving some oxbow critical care? I have some in xx

Hello, was just coming in here to post that she’s out eating grass now [emoji846]. Maybe it was the stress of the vets or perhaps it just made her feel a bit rubbish as some meds can do to us. Thank you for commenting that’s reassuring. I will be keeping an eye on her pooing & eating incase of gut status. Can I ask if you’d advice giving some oxbow critical care? I have some in xx

She’s eating grass now but will keep an eye on her. I’m taking them in the house tonight so I can see how she’s doing xx

If she is eating now I would not syringe feed her as that would probably stress her out again. Just make sure she starts to pass some poo in the next few hours.

It's also worth noting that if she's being treated for mites, they are often a secondary symptom of something else being wrong. Rabbits that are not grooming properly can't remove the mites. So it could be dental, arthritis, or something else behind it which would need a vet to assess.

Back