• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

painted the hutch!! (pictures) U/D AGAIN!! - green hutch is staying :)

:cry: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh im so dumb!!!

just save the trouble and buy them a new one. :lol: (im really lazy lol - too much effort sanding it)
why is it dangerous anyway? i cant belive i was that stoopid and used it without checking.

do you think it would be ok to use as a litter tray for the garden?
i mean thats all they use it for in their run?

:cry: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh im so dumb!!!

just save the trouble and buy them a new one. :lol: (im really lazy lol - too much effort sanding it)
why is it dangerous anyway? i cant belive i was that stoopid and used it without checking.

do you think it would be ok to use as a litter tray for the garden?
i mean thats all they use it for in their run?

It will contain toxins which are posionios to rabbits if they chew it

Sorry, I don't see the need for the hutch to be sanded down as long as they are not chewing the exterior of it. Indoor rabbits are surrounded by gloss paint indoors on skirting boards, doors and frames. This is outside which is well ventilated not that ventilation is now an issue once the paint on the wood is thoroughly dry.

I would be interested to know if there is some new research surrounding using exterior paint on outdoor buildings / hutches.

The main problem I can see with using gloss is that once it chips or becomes weather it needs to be well rubbed down prior to repainting. Whereas wood treatments dont need so much preparation before repainting.

I mean on the other hand one house we lived in claude chewed the skirting boards quite bad and hes still alive:? and i dont know what that was painted with, but not sure its worth the risk when you do know?

The main problem I can see with using gloss is that once it chips or becomes weather it needs to be well rubbed down prior to repainting. Whereas wood treatments dont need so much preparation before repainting.

if i am going to use the hutch, its going to be under shelter where it cant be weatherd :)

I mean on the other hand one house we lived in claude chewed the skirting boards quite bad and hes still alive:? and i dont know what that was painted with, but not sure its worth the risk when you do know?

wouldnt it be far less poisonous becuase the paint is dry?

and my buns are not big chewers of wood, (actually the hutch is pristine - no chew marks at all) they go for the apple trees instead :lol:

if i am going to use the hutch, its going to be under shelter where it cant be weatherd :)

wouldnt it be far less poisonous becuase the paint is dry?

and my buns are not big chewers of wood, (actually the hutch is pristine - no chew marks at all) they go for the apple trees instead :lol:

You might be ok then;) just keep your eye on wether there chewing it

yeah id just keep an eye and if they dont chew the outside they will be fine, and if they dont chew the inside i doubt they will start munchin on ur gloss, but keep an eye out incase, my house buns chewed through my live fridge cable and survived!!:shock::lol:

look on page one! :lol:
i painted the hutch green with normal paint but didnt think it was ok,
but with special care, and supervision, i think it will be :D

I do agree that gloss can be toxic, but then the same could be said for the chewed skirting courtesy of bailey. woops.

Back