• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H adoptions

I dont think any petshops should sell livestock but i'd prefer PAH to rehome old stock like this rather than send them back to the breeder to go back into the breeding cycle like most petshops do.

Yep same here. And also the money doesn't go back into the store it goes to the charitable foundation instead. I still don't understand why people always focus the bad attention on Pets at Home who at least are trying to do the right thing. The other little independent manky petshops which i have been in are far far worse. Yes in an ideal world NO petshop would sell an animal but this world is far from ideal...

So the adoption centre at P@H is all for a good cause? Sorry I've never been near the adoption centre bit at P@H so am pretty clueless as to how it all works!

Yes thats right. To adopt from the PAH adoption centre you have to give some form of donation (the amount is just what you can give). The money then goes into their charitable foundation which is used to help animal rescues all over - my own gerbil rescue being one of them. Last year due to the charitable foundation we received a cheque for £300 for the gerbils in our care to get new housing, toys etc AND also received a box full of toys, treats and gerbil goodies.
Yes they put some of their old stock in it but in general its animals who have been bullied by the others or have other issues which may make them harder to sell - so they are then handed over to the adoption section

Aw thats really nice! :) I've only ever been to a P@H store once and didn't go near the adoption section (luckily or I probably would have ended up with another rabbit...). But I agree that at least they're trying to help. I think the main problem is that these stores feel that having live animals in the store it attracts people to the store, espeically with kids. I know that when I was a child I was always begging my Mum to take me into the pet store so I could look at the fish/birds/rabbits etc.

Exactly. TBH the amount of money they actually make on the animals themselves is probably minimal. They use it as a lure to get people into the store - if they buy an animal from them they are more than likely to buy the accessories too. Sad but true :?

I got my Bun from there last sunday , min donation is £15. The money goes to a local rescue here . And yes i did buy my hutch from there, wasn't going to but my old hutch was no good and i needed to get bun out of there , they had taken really good care of him . At least 2 of the staff keep rabbits and are very well informed about their needs but there is only so much they can do . One week later and Frodo is very content , not sure he's to happy about the 3 visits to the vets tho :lol: . For a bunny who was not looked after propely he is very trusting, he climbs all over you looking for food and eats out of your hand :love:.

I think it is better than nothing, but my only gripe is I got a girl from there and the lady said I would have to get her spayed and gave me literature about how it's essential etc... (which I know obv. it is...) but the bun had been in their care for weeks (I had been back to see her a few times before caving in) and they hadn't spayed or vacs her all the time she had been in their care even tho they even have a vet in store. :roll:

I still think it's best to rehome from a rescue- but adoption section is better than the babies in the middle pens...

It really irritates me when people say "it will only be replaced by another rabbit if you take it home" well the same can be said for rescues!! How do you justify that?! ALL rabbits deserve a good home and for somebody to love it so to say you are a rabbit lover then spill that bull **** line, it really makes no sense :roll: I really wish they didnt sell animals in pet shops and maybe if the rules were changed there wouldnt be so many rabbits in rescues but think over the things you say :roll:

It really irritates me when people say "it will only be replaced by another rabbit if you take it home" well the same can be said for rescues!! How do you justify that?! ALL rabbits deserve a good home and for somebody to love it so to say you are a rabbit lover then spill that bull **** line, it really makes no sense :roll: I really wish they didnt sell animals in pet shops and maybe if the rules were changed there wouldnt be so many rabbits in rescues but think over the things you say :roll:

Did i miss something ?

dont know how they get away with the tiny glass boxes they live in:cry:

Yes those glass things the adoption rabbits are kept in are horrendous. The smaller furries get a better deal (at ours anyway) as are kept in fairly good sized temp accommodation while in the store and always have toys etc.
Again though at the same time in a small pet store i went in they had 4 (im guessing at around 6 weeks old) bunnies in a four foot fish tank :( Made me sick.

I think neenee is talking about previous posts on this thread where it was said another will just replace the one taken.

yes sorry thats what i was talking about. In response to the op, im always in pets at home ( only pet shop near me, unfortunately) and im always so tempted to take home some rabbits that stand out to me but realistically i couldnt afford another rabbit if i took into consideration spaying and vaccinations. You never know where it could end up, could end up in a fantastic home and the owners could possibly end up signing onto RU :wave: :)

I failed at a one of these brought two home, was told a boy and a girl. It was two girls, no wonder they weren't 'getting along' :shock:

I think neenee is talking about previous posts on this thread where it was said another will just replace the one taken.

Right , i remember that now. And it's right, another will be replaced with another, they have a waiting list for people no longer able to or wanting to take care of their pets any more. Obv these people cant or dont want to take them to a rescue so they take them to P@H . Obv a rescue is better than P@H as they receive their vacc and are neutered at a rescue but P@H is better than leaving the animal to rot in a cage . It's not a perfect world .

My bun frodo is a adopted from P@H .

Back