• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oscar and Pandora... the start of something beautiful? PICS ADDED :)

Well I put my little girl and little boy together for the first time this week and so far it's going well.... when I figure out how to put pics up I will.
They are both mini lops. Oscar is 18 months and neutered, Pandora is 8 months old and I haven't had her spayed yet.
They have been living upstairs / downstairs in separate hutches outdoors and having had Oscar neutered 8 weeks ago this was long awaited!!
The first meeting was in the kitchen.... And in hindsight probably not th best place.... Oscar pestered her quite alot, there was lots of humping from him only and he was circling her and pulling her fur. She is not as tame as him, but when alone she does have quite a personality, but I think she was rather 'smothered' by him on this first occasion.
On date number two the next day I placed them in the bath tub as I had seen someone recommend on here.... And what a difference....
Pandoras personality came out much more with this meeting and within 10 minutes she was humping him. They were together for about 30'minutes but after she started foot thumping (she does this an awful lot) he sprayed in the bath, he hasn't sprayed since before he was neutered :( ) but I wanted to end on a positive note so I left them to it and within a few minutes they were snuggled together and he was grooming her :)
Tonight was date 3, they were together, again in th bath , for 2 hours! It seems to be going great... They both humped each other a bit, there was a little bit of circling and fur pulling but within 20 minutes they were snuggled again and mutual grooming!! So I decided to introduce a bowl of food... And within a couple of minutes they were happily eating from the same bowl!! They spent the remaining time happily eating and toileting .... Just normal bunny things, cuddling and grooming each other. So it seems to be going well :) !!
What I would like advice on is what should my next steps be ? They seem to be getting on so well, they travelled back to the hutch in the same carry cage and were snuggled together the whole time. They then took a few minutes in each others hutches and there was no squabbling.
Would love some advice from some of the experts on here as to what to do next.... I don't want to spoil things!! My aim is for them to share a large hutch and run. (I will long term, look to get Pandora spayed ).
Thanks for reading x

Last edited:
Oh and perhaps worth mentioning, there is lots of flopping, from both, both head to head , side by side and head to tail, and they followed each other into and out of the cage :) .....

:wave:It sounds like things are going well, I just wonder why you have bonded them before getting Pandora spayed? It is possible that the new bond will be broken when you separate them to have her spayed.

I'm not being critical of your decision to bond them, I'm just curious.

Dont take this the wrong way but Pandora not being spayed might make your bond alot more difficult, and if she gets territorial it could break a good bond.

Thanks people. Glad it's not just me and that things do seem to be going well!
As for why I have bonded them now... Well there's a couple of factors...
They were originally going to always live separately , but Oscars increasingly difficult behaviours, particularly the spraying , made me make the decision to have him neutered, more to calm him down than anything. My vet is very rabbit savvy and she did suggest I get them both done however she did suggest to me they could bond before she was spayed, as she has had lots of rabbits and she had kept neutered males with unsprayed females with no problem. However she has warned me that when the weather gets warmer she could start getting hormonal... I will have her done by then and hopefully their bond won't be broken (didn't realise this may happen :-/ )
I would have had them both done at the same time but at the time I was a bit worried as I have heard that spaying is quite major surgery ... However this was before I found Rabbits United and being in here where lots of people have spayed girls has reassured me somewhat so at least now I have made the decision to have her done....
Meanwhile they spent their first night together last night in my boyfriends dogs cage and it went amazingly. They are mutual grooming and cuddling up all the time and following each other around/ sharing bowls etc
I am going away next weekend and they are going to go .... All being well on a romantic break too to a bunny boarding centre. The woman there seemed to know her stuff about bonding when I went to have a look at the place and she is going to keep an eye on them (they will be sharing an 8ft hutch and a HUGE run) and if things go wrong they can be housed separately.
I am really pleased with how well they are getting on it's almost too good to be true right now :)

Date in the bath:
SAM_0446.jpg

SAM_0410.jpg

First night together: before lights out:
201110015.jpg

201110005.jpg

201110002.jpg

201110004.jpg

201110009.jpg

The photo's of them together are adorable :D
Spaying a female is major surgery in compaison to neutering a male & it does require a longer recovery period. However, the risks of not spaying are far greater - Not only will the female bunny start nesting & fur pulling, there is a high chance she will become agressive & start to growl & bite - not just her bunny companion but you aswell :(
The hormones aside, un-spayed female buns have a very high chance of developing uterine cancer well before old age :(
I would advise you to get Pandora spayed asap.

Just a little update for you all :)

Oscar and Pandora spent 4 nights together last weekend at a rabbit boarding centre in a huuuuge hutch and they got on fab... was a shame to separate them when I got them home to go back in their own hutches!

I have decided I am definitely going to get Pandora neutered in the new year as got a really busy few weeks ahead and want to be able to spend the time with her when she's had the op. So pleased my first bonding has been such a success :p

Back