• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oreo U/Date 30.01.18 - He's Gone! U/Date PM

Be aware though that hepatic cocci tests can often give false negatives, because the cocci live in the bile ducts, they're not hanging around in the intestines like the other sort of cocci, so you're less likely to find them in poop. Sadly I've known of massive outbreaks of hepatic cocci where it was only diagnosed after it had spread around badly and only then from a fresh post mortem examination done within the hour of death :( If you have a lot of bunnies and this is the only one poorly, then hopefully it's not hepatic cocci, as that would be a massive problem if it spread. Liver enzymes can get slightly out of kilter in an inappetent rabbit so I guess it would also depend on how far out of range the results were. Good luck, it's such a worry when they are poorly :(

I never thought to ask. They were going to do an x-ray as a follow-up. I am waiting for the Vet to 'phone me back atm with a view to having his liver US scanned, as if it is liver cancer there is no point in him having a GA/dental, is there?

In the case of my rabbit, we didn't do any further tests (after the initial bloods) but first off treated it. On retest the values were found to be normal.

Be aware though that hepatic cocci tests can often give false negatives, because the cocci live in the bile ducts, they're not hanging around in the intestines like the other sort of cocci, so you're less likely to find them in poop. Sadly I've known of massive outbreaks of hepatic cocci where it was only diagnosed after it had spread around badly and only then from a fresh post mortem examination done within the hour of death :( If you have a lot of bunnies and this is the only one poorly, then hopefully it's not hepatic cocci, as that would be a massive problem if it spread. Liver enzymes can get slightly out of kilter in an inappetent rabbit so I guess it would also depend on how far out of range the results were. Good luck, it's such a worry when they are poorly :(

Yes, that's very true. I remember your previous posts about the outbreak you became aware of :cry:

That you for this valuable info, Santa :thumb:

The Vet has just phoned (she phoned on Saturday and left a message to say she would phone today). and she wants me to take him in when she has the am surgery to have another look and possibly do an US scan. She agrees that it doesn't seem to be teeth related.

The Vet has just phoned (she phoned on Saturday and left a message to say she would phone today). and she wants me to take him in when she has the am surgery to have another look and possibly do an US scan. She agrees that it doesn't seem to be teeth related.

I hope that you get some answers soon. Topping up the vibes for Oreo xx

Good luck xx

I'm sorry tonibun. It's so hard when they are still so young. Thinking of you x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back