• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orange Urine

Thank you, I will have a look on there, they do also have things like Corriander and Parsley which they both love, occasionally have watercress, savoy cabbage, brocoli and celery.

I will assume they get most of their fluid from their veggies then, they have approx 10g of Burgess Excel pellets a day, and have Meadow mixed with Timothy hay refreshed daily.

I am quite overcautious as I love them to bits and want them to be healthy. Maybe I will try and cut down on the lettuces if this could be cause of his orange pee pee [emoji4]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

That seems to be a healthy diet to me. I think sometimes hay can colour their urine, it seems to do with mine.

I think I maybe being overcautious however the vet would give the Nobivac vaccine, I have an appointment Friday for Flop do I say that it's all cleared up?Otherwise I am fearful they will push it back again and they were due beggining of April.

I used the YouTube tutorial for Flops Baytril three times now and he just gets so stressed and throws his weight and starts thrashing, he then bites. I am firm and keep putting him back into the position but it can take up to ten minutes to get a small amount into him. He won't come near me now and turns his back on me all the time, seems super grumpy/down now, so I think I am going to stop the Baytril.

The Vet was correct in refusing to vaccinate him as you thought he wasn't quite right but he seems fine to me from what you are saying so I would go ahead with the vaccination if it were me. Tell the Vet what you have told us.

It's difficult, because you know how much trust you have in your vet and how easy it is to discuss things. If it were me I would want to find out from the vet what problems are likely to be caused by orange urine. I would certainly want to have no further delay in having the vaccination done and so I would be looking for a very good reason from the vet as to why further delay may be necessary. As far as I can tell, the orange urine is the only symptom observed in Flops and that in every other way he seems healthy?

In my view orange urine is perfectly normal and happens very often with my two bunnies. I would not want to try to adapt their diet to avoid it happening.

Baytril does not taste pleasant and most bunnies dislike it. I think I would want to have it confirmed that there was an infection before giving a rabbit an antibiotic. Have you tried to obtain a urine sample for testing?

It's difficult, because you know how much trust you have in your vet and how easy it is to discuss things. If it were me I would want to find out from the vet what problems are likely to be caused by orange urine. I would certainly want to have no further delay in having the vaccination done and so I would be looking for a very good reason from the vet as to why further delay may be necessary. As far as I can tell, the orange urine is the only symptom observed in Flops and that in every other way he seems healthy?

In my view orange urine is perfectly normal and happens very often with my two bunnies. I would not want to try to adapt their diet to avoid it happening.

Baytril does not taste pleasant and most bunnies dislike it. I think I would want to have it confirmed that there was an infection before giving a rabbit an antibiotic. Have you tried to obtain a urine sample for testing?

I second all of the above :)

I'm going to take him back as normal on Saturday and just see what they say, but I'm going to stop with the Baytril as its stressing him far too much.

I have called for the last three days to see if I can get a urine sample whether they can test it.. Still haven't heard back from them.

Thanks all [emoji4]

Back