• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on how it's going?

Steph_fuzzy239

Warren Scout
Hiya.

Today I started bonding my rabbits Freddie and Rosie. My bonding space is a brand new 6x4 run that I've laid onto a ground sheet type thing and put 4 small pavers in each corner so if they dig it'll be harder etc. I provided them with a cardboard box that was open at the top but had sides and holes at either end to run through. Big pile of hay in the middle and 2 brand new water bottles.

First off I decided to get them out of their comfort zone, I put them in separate carriers and went for a short drive to the shops. I stayed in car while I sent the bf in for our lunch!

When we got back we put them both in the run at the same time but at opposite ends of the run. All they wanted to do first was explore the run and have a good old nosey round! Lol. Then they spotted each other, had a little sniff then carried on. This went on for the first half hour or so. Behaviour in that time was happy, lots of binkying, washing themselves, munching hay etc. Freddie then laid down, so Rosie approached him and started to lick his ear. To which he started humping her all over the place. She was quite submissive to this I think? Sort of laid down taking it so to speak. But now everytime he approaches her she runs away or backs down to let him hump her. Is this all normal? I wouldn't say they've been getting on like a house on fire but there had been no aggression of any kind. Just Rosie running away from him. They've been relaxed a few times ad well, lots of laying down but at opposite ends of the run. :)

My next step is to put them both back into there hutches ( there next to each other so can still see each other) then do the same thing again tomorrow but for a longer period of time. It's been nearly 3 hours today which I think is good going really!! Please let me know if all this sounds positive and what my next step should be after there time tomorrow, providing it goes well.
Thanks in advance, Steph :)

Yes, it sounds really promising. It's quite normal for the girl to run away and that will possibly continue for a few days so just keep going slowly, don't rush things. If they start eating together that is a very good sign, don't expect any grooming yet, but maybe they will. I've just been bonding 2 of mine, it's been really easy so far, maybe because the boy is 8 now and the girl is a very gentle raabbit so they were eating with heads close together so I don't think I am going to have any problems. Can you not keep them together all the time, supervised, but if not they will carry on tomorrow where they left off. Befo Let us know how things proceed.re you leave them all night tooogether make sure you feel certain they will be ok.

I agree, it sounds really promising. If you're able, keeping them together for a whole day would be good, than if they are happy don't split them :)

Thanks guys :)

I can't actually stay with them through the night as the only neutral space I had was in the garden!! Although it's lovely weather at the moment not sure I really fancy camping outside :lol:

So my plan is to hopefully monitor them and get them to a stage where I feel confident enough to leave them over night :? very nervous really, but fingers crossed! I'll keep you updated on how things go. They both looked a bit down in the dumps this morning as if to say "why have you taken my new friend away" :( so I'm hoping they can pick things up where they left off yesterday :)

Steph

UD on bonding Freddie and Rosie

Hi

Just wanted to put an update on Freddie and Rosie's bonding and ask a few questions. Seems to still be going well so far. They've now spent 2 nights by themselves and are both doing great. I still wouldn't say they are in love but are more like close friends. They both seem really happy and Rosie has really come out of her shell. She is a grumpy bun but looks like she is a lot happier now and has been doing lots of bunny flops and binky's :) Freddie also seems to have calmed down now, less mounting going on. Rosie just seems to hop off if he goes near her bum so I think he'll soon get the message.

So far they have been in the 6x4 run, they have now moved into the bottom of Freddie's hutch which is the same size. In the run there are tubes, still hay in middle and currently still scatter feeding. I'm 4 days in now so was wondering when do you think it's a good idea to introduce things such as, litter trays, bowls, toys and also letting them upstairs into the hutch area? Any advice would be greatly received :)

Thank you,

Have you neutralised the hutch? It's best not to introduce too much space too quickly. Otherwise it sounds like it is going well.

Hi

Just wanted to put an update on Freddie and Rosie's bonding and ask a few questions. Seems to still be going well so far. They've now spent 2 nights by themselves and are both doing great. I still wouldn't say they are in love but are more like close friends. They both seem really happy and Rosie has really come out of her shell. She is a grumpy bun but looks like she is a lot happier now and has been doing lots of bunny flops and binky's :) Freddie also seems to have calmed down now, less mounting going on. Rosie just seems to hop off if he goes near her bum so I think he'll soon get the message.

So far they have been in the 6x4 run, they have now moved into the bottom of Freddie's hutch which is the same size. In the run there are tubes, still hay in middle and currently still scatter feeding. I'm 4 days in now so was wondering when do you think it's a good idea to introduce things such as, litter trays, bowls, toys and also letting them upstairs into the hutch area? Any advice would be greatly received :)

Thank you,

aslong as the litter tray is big enough for both of them to fit in, you could try introduce it, i just introduced a higee litter tray to my 2 day bonded quad, and they are doing fine :) x

Have you neutralised the hutch? It's best not to introduce too much space too quickly. Otherwise it sounds like it is going well.

Haven't cleaned the hutch bit yet ... On my to do list :lol: but I will be doing so. I may just leave the going upstairs bit for a few more days, maybe even Saturday when I can keep a watchful eye on them instead. Thanks :)

aslong as the litter tray is big enough for both of them to fit in, you could try introduce it, i just introduced a higee litter tray to my 2 day bonded quad, and they are doing fine :) x

Do you think a storage box type thing might work? I bought 2 new litter trays but I see your logic and think that one big one might be better. I can always use them for something else at a later date. Thanks :)

Back