• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oops

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
After this morning's vet visit (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?482517-Chibbs-off-to-the-vets), bunnies have been ordered inside for a few days until the real cold passes. They're in the now-unheated but always cold bathroom and back passage, where it should be about 9-12C. No downstairs toileting for us though! I posted three on Twitter so I'll link to the tweet as well as it's not always a reliable image host:

Ety2De0XUAMlcbC

https://twitter.com/keletkezes/status/1359161373196967937

Lopsy is not happy about this arrangement and hasn't left the litter tray yet, but he was at least eating a few minutes ago. He's been fine :roll: Chibbs likes to hop up and down the carpet arrangement, and if she encounters laminate she walks on it :D I caught her tearing a bit of carpet a moment ago so I'll be checking she's not eating it because that's the last thing we need :roll:

Time to find some big boxes for hidey-holing in during colder snaps, as whatever we did wasn't good enough!

It is exceedingly cold at the moment!

My sister in law used to insulate the hutch and run with cardboard at night when it froze.

Then she had a cover thing on top to stop it getting wet. It was a bit of a faff but did seem to help a bit. Although I'm sure it never got quite as cold as now.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

That's a snug arrangement I have to say. But they are safe and warm and until this cold spell passes then that's what we must do to keep our little loved ones safe and comfortable. Slight thaw underway here atthe moment but tape measure count on the snowfall here was average of 6 inches and 1 foot of snow on the shed roof. Very cold temerpatures forecast overnight.

An uneventful night here: no-bun managed to get into the bath (we put hay and water in just in case :roll:), and some ginormous poos :)

Aww, I didn't realise that Chibbs had so much hair at the back of her neck :)
Matt was concerned she has a 'bald' spot where it fals away, but it is just how her fluff falls! How she doesn't get matty I don't know, we don't brush her!

I am in love with Chibbs.
She's a little weirdo :lol: She's supercute, she's not much into strokes (but I did manage a marathon 3-4mins last night!), she'll give up pellets after a couple of mouthfuls if there's something else in sight (leaving the rest for Lopsy), she grooms Lopsy's eyes loads and humps him a lot too :S She's abit more humpy ATM I think because they have less space.

We've added a curtain between the kitchen and back passage to keep some of the heat in out side and cold in their side but it's a bit short so I need to add something to the bottom of it!

I need the toilet:lol:
It's alright, we've got one upstairs :D But the window's open so it's freezing (clearing shower condensation), although the hot water comes through much quicker and the flush is better :lol:

I did add something to the bottom of the curtain yesterday but not being able to see out freaked Lopsy out completely so I had to take it off. He's fine with just a 4" strip of space to see out :lol: I've cracked the window open today so they can have some ventilation: we're peaking at highs of 9C in there now so much better (lower) :) We'll shut the window overnight.

We've managed to sort our cold weather setup for this though: the hall has the thermostat so we usually keep the downstairs doors open to let the heat flow around, but we've shut the door to the back of the house and OMG there's a massive difference. I usually shut the door to the lounge (the front part of the house off the hall, our front door is on the side of the house but front facing, in an extension) when I've got the woodburner on, and yesterday it was much cooler (as usual) in the hall and then really cold in the gaming room and kitchen XD We're supposed to be using this weekend to clear the house up for looking after a friend's cat soon, so we might have to layer up and get on with the dining room and kitchen!

We expect this arrangement to last until Monday. The surveyor's coming to measure up our windows Monday so I might get hm to start upstairs while I clear the bunnies back outside :lol: We'll have to barricade the bunnies into the bathroom while we deal with the washing machine Saturday night and Sunday morning. As for having a shower, I do that Sundays too so could either leave it until Monday after I've cleared them out of there or just use the upstairs one which I don't like as much XD Lots of logistics!

Last night's weather was a bit chilly:

148971935_10104152523772868_6945729511968188021_o.jpg

That said, I checked the temperature probe out the dining room window at 7:30am and that said -1.3, so probably about -2.5C, max. -3C realistically where we are :) The outside tap wasn't frozen either!

But it really hasn't got above 1C for more than a few hours at all during the day!

Aw, they look very cosy indoors. :love: I'm glad Chibbs feels better now. It does look very cold, even though it didn't get quite as cold as -7C where you are. Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer by Monday, since they're going back outside then. :)

It's a chilly 12C in the kitchen and peaked at 7.9C on top of the bathroom cabinet this morning! So we've successfully cooled the area to 'more like outside on normal days' temperatures. Sunday daytime is still forecast cold, so we'll aim for Monday morning when it's about 8C and it's light enough from 7am. Logistics might be an issue: we might try and rig the tube to the lawn into the back door, I'm sure they'll be keen to get out of their tiny area!

Back