• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

only 50mls water a day!!!

emilybun

Warren Scout
My big girl Daisy may which I accquired last week from a lady who takes in unwanted bunnies, is only drinking around 50-75mls of water a day - probably 100mls at the very most in 24 hours. my other buns drink at least double that in 24 hours, and they are alot smaller! i rang the lady that i got her from and she just said that she didnt drink that much when she had her and it was normal for her.

the lady i got her from wasnt very reliable so i dont want to take her advise too quickly!

any suggestions?

I don't know about others but the amount my buns drink varies greatly from day to day. Do you use a bottle? If you do it might be worth switching to a heavy bowl as she will be able to get a better drink :)

well she has always had a bottle and whilst i am concerned about her fluid intake i thought it might be best to continue with the bottle as it is easier to see how much she is drinking??

She may still be settling in. I make sure Pebbles has lots of high-water content foods, like cucumber and celery.

But her drinking differs from day-to-day too. Sometimes she doesn't seem to touch her water bowl at all, and her bottle leaks, so I can't be sure that she's drank all that's missing from it :roll:

As LoopyLouie suggested, try her with a bowl.

Does she get a lot of watery veg? They can get quite a lot of fluid from that and don't need to drink so much.

Peach barely knows what water is!

And before anyone shouts, yes, she has a bottle when she's outside, a bowl inside, but rarely touches either. She gets plenty of fresh greens so I'm not a all bothered.

TBH the one time I saw her drink from her bowl in the house other than when she'd just come round from anaesthetic I was worried! But she had just been gorging on pellets. I do sometimes offer her the bowl when she's indoors (rather than leaving it in one place) but invariably she tips it up onto the carpet!

M

I hate drinking water- i'll drink it if i have too- i think some buns are the same. Most of my buns are fine water drinkers- but paws has never drank much ever. Just the way some are- i do think it can be medical though- so worth getting your bun checked over by a vet.

Ambience xx

Peach barely knows what water is!

And before anyone shouts, yes, she has a bottle when she's outside, a bowl inside, but rarely touches either. She gets plenty of fresh greens so I'm not a all bothered.

TBH the one time I saw her drink from her bowl in the house other than when she'd just come round from anaesthetic I was worried! But she had just been gorging on pellets. I do sometimes offer her the bowl when she's indoors (rather than leaving it in one place) but invariably she tips it up onto the carpet!

M

Louie never ever drinks water.

Louie never ever drinks water.

does he drink something else??

I have one 500ml water bottle up for my 3 bunnies.. they are quite small bunnies but they rarely drink more than 150mls a day between them all which works out as about 50mls each.. sometimes its alot less than that gone :shock: Two of them are 6yrs old and the 3rd one is 4yrs old and ive never known them drink any mpre than that.

does he drink something else??

I have one 500ml water bottle up for my 3 bunnies.. they are quite small bunnies but they rarely drink more than 150mls a day between them all which works out as about 50mls each.. sometimes its alot less than that gone :shock: Two of them are 6yrs old and the 3rd one is 4yrs old and ive never known them drink any mpre than that.

No :?

One of my bunnies , Bruce , doesnt seem to drink anything at all....he has a bottle and the water level doesnt seem to move between changes at all,I've tried giving him a bowl but he just tips it over .

He seems fine so I don't worry about it.

Back