• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of the coldest winters in 100 years?

I hate the cold and snow and ice :evil:

And the gas bill is going to be through the roof :shock:

Only good thing in it all is that Louie lives in the house :D

I have a halogen heater, and i have it on about 20 minutes before i go in the shed, and then its on while i'm in the shed seeing to them, and then turn it off when i leave. it was only £7 and is 400w

It's not only the outdoor buns with problems. Thumper's free ranging indoors & has had issues with hypothermia & a dental between.
We've both moved into the back bedroom as the only room we can keep at 18C. He's no longer free ranging & I put a dressing gown over clothes to go to "essential places".

I have 2 snuggle safes, I feed them warm porridge( tonight I have added hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and alfalfa cubes as it is expected to get to -6 tonight), when there is snow on the ground. I have moved Sophie and Granite to the outhouse, as it isn't exposed, or as cold in there as it is outside. I have put a box of straw in there, is a small hutch there stuffed with straw and hay . I have given them extra hay and pellets.

Im freezing, come in to warm up, I had to scrap 3 inches of snow off their set up cover, before I could open the hutch :D oh the joys!!

Next I am going to do the trio. I am going to block them into the shed tonight, with plenty of toys. and yummies.

to be honest right now i don't think my bunnies could care less about wether I have a heater, they are usually sat out in the run on the frost & snow, and i have to pile them all inside to shut the door while i am in there.
but as it gets colder, what about one of those really big extension cords?

I thought last year was cold, can't believe it's another cold winter!!!

I've already seem temps of -7°C, when I've gotten into my car of a morning, I'm not sure I can cope with it going much lower!

Rabbit bottles didn't freeze last night so it couldn't have been too cold! They don't seem to mind too much, and the chickens are just huddles together to keep warm!

I too can not imagine what the gas bill will be like, I've not got it set high, but it still must be working hard as it's so cold outside! Been lighting a fire every day which is lovely and does make the living room warmer, don't think I'm the only one though as I had to go to 3 places to buy coal yesterday!

Roll on summer I say!

Hannah :)

We've been quick lucky here in Oxford. We've had hardly any snow here and its been quite sunny the last couple of days - very cold and frosty though.

Temps of -7 here last night and more snow this morning, in some places to is now over our wellies. Really starting to worry now, as the longer this goes on the harder it is on the older, outside animals- well most are in at night, and the goats are rugged as well as the horses, but it is still hard on them in this weather, especially for the older goats, they tend to stiffen up and get sore.

Thinking of you & your lovely animals, especially farm animals & farmers trying to care for them across the country.

Its freezing here and I have about 5 inches of snow (which is snowing turning to ice in my garden and estate i couldnt get home new years eve because i live and up and down huge hills my buns have lots of extra hay and im placing a snuggle safe in there bed area at night im hoping thats keeping them warm enough

Shamelessly bumping this

In view of the continuing, and expected to continue, Siberian cold snap.

Please plan ahead if you can. Don't leave it to the last minute to buy pellets, hay etc. Restock well before you run out in case your suppliers can't deliver, or you can't get out, when you really need the stuff.

Give some thought in advance to what you can do to help your rabbits survive. This cold snap isn't about the odd night below freezing, but about days on end, possibly weeks, of well-sub-zero temperatures which may take their toll on older rabbits or those with underlying health problems.

Back