• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of my rabbits was killed by a weasel / stoat

Hello all.

I am a new member and have introduced myself in the introductions section. Tonight i will try and open a photobucket account to post pics of my lovely buns.

It has been a very sad few days for us as a weasel or stoat broke into both of our rabbit runs and killed my 7yr old lionhead female called Holly. As you can imagine we are very upset and kicking ourselves that we did'nt make it more secure as regards predators.

The predator had ripped the back of her head and neck out, and dragged her through the hole in the mesh and into a hole under the hutch that the bunnies had dug. It took me a while to find her but i managed to pull her out. Her mate sandy was extremely nervous and having lost a bun in september we knew that we should leave the body in the run for him to realise that she was dead. We did'nt know what had killed her at this point as we thought it was a small terrier that had done it (seen it hanging around). I repaired the run in the dark to what i thought was a satisfactory standard.

The next day my wife was at home and noticed sandy sat very still in the corner of the run in the pouring rain, looking extrememly nervous. She decided to go out and see what was wrong. Upon nearing the run she noticed holly had been moved from where i left her. She said a "thing" about the size of a squirrel ran off and it had a longish tail.

I then knew what we were dealing with but she cant give a good enough description to say if it was a weasel or stoat ( its one or the other).

Pest contorl have laid a trap with a wild rabbits head in it but in 3 days it is still empty. Our 3 remaining buns are now housed in my office/workshop where they have free roam of the floor. I have seperated the room into 2 spaces of 12ft by 5ft. This is only temporary until i have built new runs and hutches at which time we will find a new mate for sandy. I know they are safe where they are now and can sleep at night.The buns also seem to know they are safe too as they dont seem as spooked and nervous.

I have measured everything up and made a list of materials i need. The current runs (2 of) are 5M (17ft) by 2M (7ft) with the hutches on the end. We let them out into larger runs which are'nt covered over by opening the hutch doors.

I plan to use;

16g 13mm sq weld mesh doubled up with 50mm weld mesh which is probably 12g along the bottom of the sides.

I am going to make some larger hutches but i have'nt decided on materials yet.

I have some questions and please give any advice at all.

1) Will 13mm sg weld mesh be small enough to keep weasels, stoats and rats out? Is 16g strong enough? I cant find 13mm in anything stronger.

2) Is it advisable to build hutches out of brick with thick plywood floor and roof (felted)? I like the idea of using brick for the sides with the usual wooden doors at the front. I also already have alot of aluminum sheet, box section and angle that i can use if it is suitable.

3) How deep should i bury the weld mesh on the sides? 1ft or more? How deep will predators dig to get in?

4) Any general weasel / stoat info would be gladly received. Are they likely to come back or return in greater numbers?

5) should the hutches be inside the runs?

I find it easier to come up with solutions for keeping larger predators out but the small size of these damn things has caused much head scratching and wondering what to do for the best.

I want my buns to be as safe as possible and cost is not really a constraint (within reason).

Thanks for your help.

stu, henry, blossom and sandy.

p.s pics of what we have to date are to come .

The next

OH MY GOSH! :(:(
How horrific, it's every bunny owners worse nightmare, I'm so very very sorry that Holly suffered an awful passing....must a been terrible experience for you all.

Binkie free to the bridge little girl. xx

I am so sorry for your loss.

I think I would reccommend that you build something simular to a dog shed/run and use the best mesh you can find, a nice welded one with small squares. A possible way of eliminating the threat of digging preditors, is to use concrete slabs... they are also great for keeping nails down. You could add a 'raised bed' inside the run or put rolls of turf down to give them grass. Also, have the hutches inside the run/avary. You dont want any week points.

What do you think??

Stoats/weasels are every buns worse night mare, they are very well adapted rabbit killers and often arent thought about by rabbit owners (foxes are more generally feared).

Good luck making your rabbit heaven more secure. You did the best thing by bringing them in. You dont want the beastie telling his 'friends' where there is an 'easy meal' :(

I don't have much advise about the housing, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon, but how about having a playhouse/shed rather than a hutch? You can then attach a run to it.

I am so sorry about Holly. I hope Sandy gets over the trauma and eventually finds a new friend. x

It's better to put mesh underneath the whole floor of the run. You can lay turf on top of the mesh to make it comfortable for your buns. That way nothing can get in or out no matter how far down they dig outside and your buns won't be able to dig at all inside. 16guage mesh should be thick enough, the holes really need to be small though, 1inch x 1/2inch.

If you can put the hutches inside the run and keep the run big enough then this would be a good idea.

I am really really sorry to hear about Holly. :cry::cry: Sleep tight little one.

I am glad you have your other bunnies safe for now. x

That's really sad :( I hope Sandy is okay.

Just a thought, why dont you bond up sandy with your other pair? As you're making a new hutch anyway you can make it big enough for 3.

You've done the right thing with bringing them indoors.

You have the whole winter to build that hutch now so you can be sure its completely weasel-proof. Just remember you cant put them back out till its warm, I think April is generally considered the best time.

i'm useless in regards to the housing advice, but i just wanted to say im so sorry about your little holly, what an awful way to pass:( i hope sandy and your other buns are all okay.

I'm so sorry you lost your bun and in such a horrific way. I hope you do catch the predator soon and that all your buns remain safe

:( Omg, I'm so sorry to read this - what a terrible thing to experience .......... I've often thought about this, now am worried ...

i dont know what to suggest really as a stoat or weasel would be able to get in such a small gap i pressume. :?
i think your best bet would be to do a shed type construction as with them being in for a while they might loose thier winter coat. so if poss keep the room there in as cold as possible.
bonding them all together would be a cheaper idea as well as then your only building one home and not 2. are they all speyed and neutered?

Hi, thanks for all your kind wishes. I am just getting over the shock and this has made me cry.

All the buns are neutered but i dont like the idea of trying to bond them as a threesome as in september somebody left the gate open between the runs and there was a fight between henry (french lop) and jasper (lionhead cross). Jasper was holly's bonded friend of 3 years.

Henry had sunk his teeth into jaspers back leg causing some nerve damage. After a few weeks of vet visits, scans etc his mobility did improve but he became incontinent and was'nt very happy. On my birthday he went in for an exray and whilst under the vet called to ask what we would like to do as they could not do anything for him. It was the hardest decision to make but we decided with the help of the vet that it would be best to put him to sleep whilst he was still under.

This has put me off trying to bond another bun with henry and blossom. We decided to get another rescue bun to bond with holly and this is when sandy arrived (3yr old dwarf lop). He was found wandering the streets of Leeds and taken to the rescue place that we got him from. He's lovely and we would'nt want him to suffer the same fate as poor jasper.

The shed they are currently in is a home made extension at that back of our detached garage. It has a radiator in it but its turned off near the boiler which is in the garage. I went to see them this morning and it was really frosty outside. There was no frost in the shed, the water bottles were'nt frozen but it was still nearly as cold as outside. Hopefully they wont lose their winter coat whilst in here.

As far as the new housing plan is concerned, i am still a little scared that 13mm sq weld mesh will be small enough. I need to find out what size of hole a weasel can get through. I dont think 7mm sq will be strong enough to stop predators biting through it.

I have decided that the new hutches will be inside the runs and i am going to take up the turf which is in them and put weld mesh down and recover with new turf. Even with the hutches in, i think the runs will be big enough - 5 Metres by 2 Metres minus the hutch. I might even build the hutches on stilts so they can go underneath them.

These houses are going to be like fort knox when i get them finnished. I could'nt let any more buns go through what holly did. Luckily i am getting to a quiet period with my job (self employed gardening and landscaping) and i have all the tools i need to do a good job quickly.

Weasel trap is still empty unfortunately. Pest control man was supposed to come yesterday and put some more traps down but he did'nt turn up and would'nt answer his phone.

We are going to bury holly next to jasper on tuesday. I will have to add her name to the stone i engraved for him. I'm sure we will give the hole a good soaking with tears when the time comes.

Thanks again. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but maybe my experience will help save other bunnies from such agony.

stu, henry, blossom and sandy.

Pics of my buns past and present

Sandy and holly

Sandy004.jpg

Henry and blossom

IMG_0460.jpg

Holly (blossom in background)

IMG_0476.jpg

Jasper

IMG_0470.jpg

Hi Stu,

Im so very sorry for your loss :( :( It is truely heartbreaking :(

We have had what appeared to be a stoat / weasel in our garden 2 weeks ago. We have a big pond in the corner of our garden with fish in and next to it is a small pond (more for birds and the frogs :) ) It was a Saturday, mid-day ish and my bunnies Ginger and Bridget were out in the garden, I was in the dining room having a bit of brekkie!! (we can see buns from there) then I noticed this Brown coloured thing run at the back of the small pond round the back of the big pond. I though it was Bridge at first as she is Brown but then thought she cant get through the gap (there is a tree blocking the gap) me and my hubby went outside and I saw something at the back of the pond but when I shouted hubby it was gone!

We looked it up on the internet and figured it must have been a ferret as stoats and weasels tend to have different coloured underbellies.

That night we used a live suirrel catcher and next day it was there!!! Phoned RSPCA and a rescue, Rescue came to get it, was told it was a polecat and likely to be more :( :(

Touch wood though we have not had any since and have been setting the trap.

So just be careful, it could may well be a polecat or ferret :( :(

This is what it looked like:

polecatSmall.jpg

I am extremely sorry for your loss, I can understand how heart broken you must have been :( Holly was adorable and you other buns are precious..

I cant help you with the hutch questions but I do hope that you manage to make the desired setup soon..

I'm so very sorry for your loss, you must be devastated :(

It's clear that your rabbits are well loved and cared for and they are lucky to have such a thoughtful owner. Very well done for coming on here and sharing what is a dreadful experience and asking for some advice.

Re. the run, if you want them to have grass inside, you really need to slab around the edges to deter digging from the outside in. Hutches inside the runs are great but obviously this will take a little more space up. Definitely put the hutches on legs as apart from allowing the buns access underneath (which they'll love), it will keep them warmer - being off the ground.

16g weld mesh should be ok but if you're in any doubt lay it double :)

Really up to you what you build the hutches out of. Brick sounds lovely & will probably look great too :) Strong bolts, hinges & latches are vital though. Good strong tower bolts + padlocks are advisable on all doors.

Once you've finished the new set ups you could even consider some low level electric fencing. Set an inch or so above ground level and running around the perimeter of the runs it won't bother anything other than the predator ;)

A wild life rescue might be able to help you with mesh sizes, presumably they need to build cages that keep them in so will know what they can get out through.

Back