• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Olive and Simon--a bonding diary

piperknitsRN

Young Bun
I obtained Olive, a six month old Holland Lop, from a breeder this past July. She litter trained herself and hasn't been particularly destructive when free range in my house (she lives in a X pen in the kitchen). Self-assured and independent, but also good-natured, she has never been aggressive with me. I had her spayed quite young, about four months old.

Last week, I took her to the shelter to bunny date, and came home with a ? four month old New Zealand White bunny who I named Simon. At the shelter, they more or less did a bit of mild chasing, but no outright fighting. I made the mistake of putting them in Olive's X pen and hoping for the best; bad, bad move. Olive took instant umbrage to the idea, mounted poor Simon, which lead to a chase and fighting. I had to separate them. Then I tried again in the bathtub. They chased and fought again.

Not to be outdone by two bunnies, I quickly went to the next plan: stress bonding. I plopped them both in a laundry basket and carried it around the house, and then placed it on top of the laundry machine downstairs (and turned the dryer on). Then I let them out on the floor. They circled, chased and nipped for several days, but around mid week, they seemed to be ignoring each other more. Encouraged, I used the banana-on-the-forehead trick. Olive ate the banana from Simon's forehead, but didn't start any grooming for several days past that. In the meantime, I continued several-times-daily bonding sessions in neutral territory (the laundry room). Gradually, they began to calm down enough to tentatively sniff each other without too much fuss, and finally, Olive, with the help of Simon's poor banana-flavored forehead, started to groom him on the head, albeit a bit roughly at first.

Eventually, they got to the point where they were sitting near each other for brief periods of time without running off, and then even sharing a litterbox and eating hay together. When they got to this point (and Olive continued to groom Simon) I decided to go for broke and, even though it was only 6 days into bonding, thoroughly cleaned out her X pen, cleaned out the litterboxes and put both bunnies in the X pen, and watched. Miraculously, though Olive still chases Simon out of the litter boxes (there's two) from time to time, they are no longer nipping or fighting, and even spent the night in the X pen together without overt carping comment.

It is clear to me that Olive is the dominant bunny, but Simon has learned to acquiesce to her demands (such as "Move over, you great lump!"). He seems so gentle and kind, and she seems so bossy, cranky and domineering by comparison--and she's smaller in stature than he is! They've spent some time in the litter box together side-by-side with their noses touching this evening, as well as some floor time in the basement (I think Simon's well on his way to being litter trained, but I can't be sure yet, and I don't want him ruining the carpets upstairs). I get the feeling Olive didn't really need Simon for a friend (it seems more like a benevolent dictatorship) but I feel so much better having watched their relationship evolve from one of pure tension and chaos to tentative friendship.

I have to take Simon to the vet for a routine check up on Tuesday, and I'm a little afraid that, while I'm going to bring both of them, the stress of the trip will cause them to fight and set back their bonding success. On the other hand, I don't want to put their budding friendship on the line by not bringing him. Hopefully they are past fighting (I'm pretty sure they are, as Simon seems to submit to Her Highness's wishes at this point); they've come so far already.

More later as the drama unfolds.

It's actually going quite well, all things considered, and I hope it continues to go well. They are sharing a pen, litterpan, and hay/food without complaint. Olive is a little bossy but less so as the days go on. She grooms Simon and that's fun to see.

Oh my gosh! Simon is grooming Olive!!! This is the first time I've seen him groom her... so I think this is an excellent sign!

Aah thats so lovely!! Wont the trip to the vets bring them even closer? I've heard people on here taking their rabbits on a car journey to help with bonding. Hope it all goes well!!

2as3kg.jpg

This isn't the greatest photo in the world (I'm no photographer) but it's photographic proof they've gotten much chummier!

Aah thats so lovely!! Wont the trip to the vets bring them even closer? I've heard people on here taking their rabbits on a car journey to help with bonding. Hope it all goes well!!

Hi, ChristyRose: The literature I've read says to bring the bunnies together... except for one account where the bunnies in question fought and never did make up again. However, I'm thinking I will try to go with believing the majority of the literature, which says if you bring home a bunny from a vet and it smells differently, it may cause a previously bonded pair to fight. Since their relationship is so new and in the process of being cemented, I don't want to take that chance, so I think i will bring Olive along.

Hi, ChristyRose: The literature I've read says to bring the bunnies together... except for one account where the bunnies in question fought and never did make up again. However, I'm thinking I will try to go with believing the majority of the literature, which says if you bring home a bunny from a vet and it smells differently, it may cause a previously bonded pair to fight. Since their relationship is so new and in the process of being cemented, I don't want to take that chance, so I think i will bring Olive along.

Thank you! I am not the world's greatest photographer, but I just wanted to capture some moments of happiness. I, too, hope this match continues to go as well as it's doing. Seems we've turned a major corner; just want to see it progress naturally.

Thank you so much! They are doing wonderfully and I consider them bonded as they are spending all their time together--in the pen and out of it, eating together, using the same litterbox, and seemingly very happy. Last night I left them out of the X pen and was pleased to find they hadn't done any damage to the house (they don't went I supervise, but you never know. It takes a second for a bunny to be naughty).

Back