• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh God not again :( Pip-ear infection U/D post #53 all seems well

I'm sorry I missed all this, I'm sending lots of vibes for her, and hugs for you xx

Thank you Zoobec :)
She seems stable for now, but still leaning right. She has her moments of complete uprightness but I know it won't last and as she tires she tilts sideways. I realize I have to give the meds time to work but usually when a bunny just has an infection you see a little more progress even the first few hours. I'm just so afraid it's a mechanical problem; i.e. her brain has been damaged and she may never regain what she's lost. :(

Sorry...don't mean to whinge on. I just don't know how much more I can take sometimes. All my bunnies have had such nasty sudden onset illnesses for how I dote on them, you'd think they'd be in peak health. Fiver with his stasis and his recent struggle with a lame foreleg, Pip with her 'seizures' and bladder issues, Mimzy with his arthritis/spondylosis, respiratory illnesses and headtilt...it's so unfair for such lovely wee creatures who do no harm to anyone. :cry:

Argh...I need to sleep. Please forgive me...I am far too stressed and no one but other bunny people can understand my angst. It is beginning to look like no one else in my family does. :( xxxx

Lots of understanding vibes coming your way. I know that my family would be horrified by the cost of my vet fees esp. lately with my lovely Mottle (tri coloured lop) going in regularly with slight head tilt and unsteadiness (like a minor version of what you are going through with Pip).

Mottle has had a full course of panecur (as has his doe, Peaches) and has had two courses of bayril. He seems a lot brighter. I hope Pip will respond well to treatment and that you are able to relax and rest.

MimzMum I do hope you can get some rest! You've had far too much stress recently.

Sending vibes and prayers for little Pip, and hoping that the treatment will help :wave:

Thanks again for all the wonderful vibes, everyone. :) They are always greatly appreciated! :love:
Just a brief update as I'm only now getting up and about...got maybe 4 hours sleep last night but hey, it's something. :lol:
Well at 4 or 5 this morning she was eating and moving about well. As I look at her now, (almost 11 AM) I still think I see some leaning over but she hasn't had her meds yet today so we'll see how she goes after that. Lots of mushy cecals in her litterbox though so the antibiotics are having an effect on her gut. Poor thing. My refrigerator just decided to go south as well so to keep anything cold (like baytril) I have to turn it way up and things start to freeze like all the bunnies' greens in the crisper. :( (Luckily I have my son's college mini fridge here or I'd be in even more of a pickle!) She is having a wee just now (I think) and as I look at her eyes she seems a bit brighter, but still too unsteady to groom herself because she's not taking her forepaws off the side of the pan.
Hoping there's some nice dandelions that haven't been waterlogged by the torrential rains lately for her to munch as her "spoonful of sugar" with her dose this morning!

Sending loads of vibes for Pip and anti stress vibes to you... With Kiki going through a similar thing at the moment i know how worrying it is and how much you hope to see improvement. X

Sorry to hear about Pip. Had a similar (but less traumatic) issue with Mokona. She was grooming herself and fell over. She got right back up looking more embarrassed than anything. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But her hocks got very sore (from sitting funny) and she spent alot of time chewing one front paw raw. She ended up on 3 weeks of penicillin shots, heavy-duty pain meds, and a bout of GI Stasis after having a bit of an ear infection. My vet said any ear issue would cause her to loose balance and I have to keep an eye on her if it comes back. At least she appreciates me more after all that handling.
Hope Pip gets better!

Topping up vibes for you and Pip, it's such a worry isn't it when they suddenly get ill, and can't tell you about it. Really hope the meds kick in and you see improvement, and hope you get a better night sleep too xxxx

Thanks all! :)
Jane, our baytril is a compounded type with (supposedly) flavoring bunnies love (Pip would disagree if the faces she pulls are any indication) and we always have to refrigerate it. No idea why...honestly I've seen them prefer the injectible orally and it doesn't have to be kept cold. :? But thanks for posting that. I have had it freeze before and become useless and also they mailed me some metacam last winter that stayed in the postal truck too long and it froze and it was nasty stuff when I opened it! :shock: I thought they'd sent me a completely different medication by accident.

giddermup, so sorry to hear that Mokona had to deal with this too. At least as an ear infection I have the hope it will resolve, whereas with headtilt I just couldn't imagine pulling her through it, Mimzy was hard enough to help but Pip would NOT handle restricted movement well and if she could never be completely upright again it would hamper her quality of life severely. It would be a difficult call to make whether to treat her or let her go. :(

Seeing as rabbits can't pass e.c./headtilt to people, it always boggles my mind how I've had vertigo since Mimzy fell ill...I do wonder if it's something environmental that causes our ears to have more problems. Even the dogs and cats are always at theirs and that is a bit too much coincidence to suit me.

Anyway...another update...spoke to the vet this afternoon and the in house bloods were back. Everything looked good except he found that Pip has a low protein (albumin) on her liver panel. He wants to check her again in two weeks, but we've got a ton of appointments for myself and my daughter at that time and then he's off on vacation for the end of the month, so we're going to test her blood again on July 1. I asked him what could cause that and he is a bit puzzled, it would be obvious if she were a baby bunny as they can have this condition a lot, but she is 8 years old, so he thinks her liver may not be producing protein well and it would indicate maybe she wasn't eating enough. Well, she did have a horrible stasis episode last month that had her in hospital overnight and perhaps her liver hasn't recovered/stored enough protein since then? And she was extremely stressed yesterday and is still jumpy today if you make a sudden noise or movement...moreso than usual. If he could have seen her rolling and the aftermath of it he would understand just how miserable she was. (I know I'll never forget what I saw and hope to God I never see it again...it keeps playing around in my head. :( )

Has anyone here ever dealt with an elderly bunny having low protein and if so, how was that resolved for you?
TIA :wave:

Older Rabbits can be found to have a low Albumin as a 'normal' finding. A re-test in July would give more of an indication as to whether Pip's low level is of clinical relevance. So try not to stress about that for now......and stay away from Dr Google !!

Hopefully once Pip's infection is under control and her appetite improves her next blood test will give an 'all OK' result xx

Just bumping this up for you in case anyone can help with your query about low protein in an elderly bunny :wave:

New issues..please bear with me

Thanks Jane and MM :D
So I have another question. Pip is eating 'okay' and eliminating...not drinking much or weeing much either, but there is some. I see that she is really tearing up her willow branch chew though and she's been digging at her blanket and flapping her ears about and scratching at them.
I've had as much a look down them as I can without an otoscope (sadly I just don't have one anymore :( ) and I only see a little bit of waxy stuff in her left ear and it's her right that was showing signs of infection. I'm concerned that we're going to have a burst eardrum despite the baytril. Is that possible? :(

I don't see any redness although the base of her ears do feel kind of warm, but there's no exudate or swelling at all. It's not a constant thing but I'm thinking there might be some residual pain as she's healing. (Having had plenty of ear infections as a kid I empathize with her, poor bub.)

Of course it's OOH. I know the ER vet hasn't got a clue about rabbits. Pip's vet won't be in likely until Monday but I'm going to call first thing tomorrow and be certain they can't get hold of him or if someone might be covering for him. Till then, is there anything I should watch for or can do to help keep Pip more comfy? I know that if she starts exhibiting any signs of tympanic rupture I'll get her to the ER despite them being numpties as I know they can do supportive care at least, but I'd rather not waste a trip if it's not necessary especially as it stresses her to travel.

Many TIA! :wave: You've all been stars for putting up with me so long! :lol: xxxx

So I have another question. Pip is eating 'okay' and eliminating...not drinking much or weeing much either, but there is some. I see that she is really tearing up her willow branch chew though and she's been digging at her blanket and flapping her ears about and scratching at them.
I've had as much a look down them as I can without an otoscope (sadly I just don't have one anymore :( ) and I only see a little bit of waxy stuff in her left ear and it's her right that was showing signs of infection. I'm concerned that we're going to have a burst eardrum despite the baytril. Is that possible? :(

I don't see any redness although the base of her ears do feel kind of warm, but there's no exudate or swelling at all. It's not a constant thing but I'm thinking there might be some residual pain as she's healing. (Having had plenty of ear infections as a kid I empathize with her, poor bub.)

Of course it's OOH. I know the ER vet hasn't got a clue about rabbits. Pip's vet won't be in likely until Monday but I'm going to call first thing tomorrow and be certain they can't get hold of him or if someone might be covering for him. Till then, is there anything I should watch for or can do to help keep Pip more comfy? I know that if she starts exhibiting any signs of tympanic rupture I'll get her to the ER despite them being numpties as I know they can do supportive care at least, but I'd rather not waste a trip if it's not necessary especially as it stresses her to travel.

Many TIA! :wave: You've all been stars for putting up with me so long! :lol: xxxx

Her ear(s) may be irritating her hence the agitated behaviour. During an ear infection sometimes a bit of lose wax/debris can make the ear really itchy as opposed to painful. If the effected Bun also happens to be arthritic then scratching at the ear with a hind foot may not be easy and so Bun tries other means of 'scratching' the itch (ie the agitated behaviour). Bun can also pull at their dewlap or their flanks.

I would not attempt to remove any debris from the ear canals unless it is already very near the surface. As she has input and output and appears to be more stable now regards to her balance I would just continue to monitor her and see what the Vet suggests when you call.

More vibes being sent over the pond :love:

Thank you Jane :love: I'll pass your kind vibes on to her majesty. :D
You know...the dewlap/flank pulling...my gosh she's been doing that for a long time but I just thought she was washing. :shock: She's always flipping her ears about but hasn't had any issues till now. I do know the vet looked in her ears when she was in for her stasis last month and didn't find anything untoward. Perhaps this has been going on longer than I thought. But yes, she is calm this evening so I don't see any further agitation. I also offered a few choice dried herbs to distract her earlier and they were gobbled right up. So she can't be feeling too badly.

I just wish she'd drink a bit more, but I can imagine moving that jaw might be a tad wince-inducing at this time. She's far too stroppy for sub-q's, so maybe I can get her some nice juicy greens at the store that would temp her. The orchard grass she is eating is stalky and dries her out if her poos are any indication. At least the cecals seem to be firming up.

Can't help but worry...it's a long way to the doctor if we have a problem so I'd like to be on top of it. I wouldn't dream of cleaning her ears out for her though. Simply can't be done, I've tried in the past and I learned long ago to leave it to the pros. (I like my fingers where they are, thank you very much. ;) )

Thank you Jane :love: I'll pass your kind vibes on to her majesty. :D
You know...the dewlap/flank pulling...my gosh she's been doing that for a long time but I just thought she was washing. :shock: She's always flipping her ears about but hasn't had any issues till now. I do know the vet looked in her ears when she was in for her stasis last month and didn't find anything untoward. Perhaps this has been going on longer than I thought. But yes, she is calm this evening so I don't see any further agitation. I also offered a few choice dried herbs to distract her earlier and they were gobbled right up. So she can't be feeling too badly.

I just wish she'd drink a bit more, but I can imagine moving that jaw might be a tad wince-inducing at this time. She's far too stroppy for sub-q's, so maybe I can get her some nice juicy greens at the store that would temp her. The orchard grass she is eating is stalky and dries her out if her poos are any indication. At least the cecals seem to be firming up.

Can't help but worry...it's a long way to the doctor if we have a problem so I'd like to be on top of it. I wouldn't dream of cleaning her ears out for her though. Simply can't be done, I've tried in the past and I learned long ago to leave it to the pros. (I like my fingers where they are, thank you very much. ;) )

Yes, always a bonus if we can keep all our digits intact !!

We can listen to you forever, MimzMum :wave:

We can but do very little, but we can certainly support you and send healing vibes at times of crisis. I will send anti-worry vibes for you, as you must have a permanent frown on your face, which shouldn't be there ......

Relax and breathe .. I have been trying not to stay awake all night with a rabbit problem/issue of my own :shock:
They are such a dear responsibility x

Lots of healing vibes for Pip and relaxing ones for you! Love hearing your news and updates. Thinking of you and Pip. Lots of love xxx

Thank you all :love:
MM, I'm sorry to hear you're having sleepless nights and bunny troubles. :( Sending you some vibes of my own that all will resolve well and soon. xxxx

Well we continue to have new strangeness. Pip certainly has odd tastes at the moment, she is more interested in dandelion greens than anything, or dried herbs. She is eating some of her hay (I've changed to oat or a timothy 2nd cut blend that is supposed to have mint in it for helping out her tummy) but passing very dried poos. She only began drinking a bit more today but although it's been hot she's not taking in her normal amount in my opinion and we have a heat wave coming up this week.
She is too quiet, inasmuch as I mean she is not quiet/ill as she is quiet/changed. She holds her right ear down and her left up. Also, her left corner of her mouth will twitch up and the other not move at all. It is not constant, but it's enough to suggest to me that maybe she's having some nerve problems. Perhaps this is why she's not eating and drinking as she used to.
She's also very alert to sound and I about came off at my son today pounding on the bathroom door frame with a hammer that almost sent poor Pip through the roof. It was just him trying to be 'handy' but I was not pleased. I've been trying to keep things at a more even level since her rolling episode because she is much more skittish now. Sometimes I can't even stand up and walk from the room without her jumping or looking very startled. I am beginning to wonder if she is not seeing/hearing correctly?

She does not appear to be in stasis but she simply isn't taking in a lot of nourishment. I left a message for the vet to call me today but he didn't. Probably a busy day, weekends usually are. Or maybe he's getting fed up.

The one thing that really prods me wrongly is she's eating her fecal pellets. Now truth be told this has happened with both she and Fiver of late but it looks like she's eaten every one she's made today unless she hasn't made that many. I'm not certain if they need more fiber (how is that possible when they're eating very stalky hay?) or they're missing some nutrient somewhere. Pip is ravenously gnawing on that willow chew I'd given her some time ago which she has heretofore ignored and left her haycake completely alone, which is unheard of. I think the baytril is working on her ear issue, but she is still doing the flapping and scratching and she simply doesn't seem 'right' to me, but I can't be certain if it's the ears or her stomach or what.

What I'm wondering is...are these changes physical from infection or mental from neurological problems? Could she have banged her head too hard on the pen siding whilst rolling? Think of kids tucking their arms to their sides and barreling down a grassy hill...that's what it was like except stuck in one place next to her litterbox and at violent speed with all limbs extended and wild eyes. She was so very frightened and it seems to have stuck with her, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised at. :cry:
Maybe she did have a stroke or seizure that was brought on by the ear infection or vice versa. She seems to be getting on...just not as my girl used to be and it's distressing to me because I want a problem that I can address...not one I can do nothing about. Hopefully I am making sense.

No real point to this latest rant except to vent my frustration. If wishing could make her well she'd be an Olympic Triathlete by now. :(

I hope someone will be by soonish to tell me how silly I am being. :oops:

Back