• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh God not again :( Pip-ear infection U/D post #53 all seems well

Sorry to hear Pip still is not 100%. If she is eating the willow, perhaps she is in pain. I believe that it has asprin-like qualities in it. Is she on Metacam? I'm not sure what the dandelion means as it is a diuretic and you said she's not drinking much. Mokona had a very high dose of Metacam when she had her problems. She even had a controlled-drug pain killer (opiate? It's too early this morning to remember, sorry), which seemed a bit excessive at the time, but it did help her.

Rabbits generally tell us what's going on by what they are craving since they can't tell us directly.

And if she isn't eating much, she might be feeling dizzy from the ear issue. Mokona went into GI Stasis because she was so dizzy and wouldn't eat.

Hope she feels better!

Thought of you and Pip today so I thought I'd check to see the latest. Sending you many vibes and crossing fingers that things are improving or you're at least getting answers!

Hope Pip is improving, sending her lots of drinking and get well vibes, and calming vibes for yourself xxxx

Hello everyone :)
Sorry for not updating. Weather is terribly hot here (we're forecast for 80's F all the rest of the week and next week) and so my brain is not functioning well.

Pip actually is doing a bit better, although she and the other bunnies are slowly melting into puddles. :( I did finally connect with the vet again (we did a lot of phone tag the last few days) and he still thinks it's a wait and see thing. Her CBC came back and there is evidence of mild infection, but nothing systemic, so that is a big relief. Poor thing though, to think this is just an ear infection and that it affected her this badly just guts me. Most likely because she's getting older. I've always thought of her as my daughter's bunny, even though I've taken care of her pretty much all her life with us, but except for when she was bonded briefly to Mimzy I didn't really have quite the connection with her that I do with Fiver and Mimzy. I love her dearly, don't get me wrong, but I always had to be a bit off to the side in case daughter decided to move out and take her with her..and then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much to say goodbye to her, does that make sense?
But as of these last two illnesses back to back...not only am I more invested (and I'm not talking money) but I think Pip is almost upset if I spend much time away from her or out of her sight. Whereas she's always been the diva because she didn't seem to attach to any of us...not anymore. She has apparently decided that "mum" needs to be nearby at all times, bless her. :oops:

The heat is turning up a moult on her again too. :( She is difficult to groom, especially now that she's not feeling totally well. I'm doing my best not to aggravate her and cause any stress, so I just get a wee bit off at a time when I can. Hopefully we won't have another bout of stasis while this is going on. She still isn't eating/drinking a great deal but her mouth is moving a bit better than it was and she's back to enjoying her haycakes in the evening. And she sure stands up and takes notice when the dandelions come in the room, which is great to see. :)

Thank you all for keeping up with us and asking about her. She is really a love and it's always great to see when a former standoffish bunny becomes more interested in being friends with you. :love:

Sorry for not updating. Weather is terribly hot here (we're forecast for 80's F all the rest of the week and next week) and so my brain is not functioning well.

Pip actually is doing a bit better, although she and the other bunnies are slowly melting into puddles. :( I did finally connect with the vet again (we did a lot of phone tag the last few days) and he still thinks it's a wait and see thing. Her CBC came back and there is evidence of mild infection, but nothing systemic, so that is a big relief. Poor thing though, to think this is just an ear infection and that it affected her this badly just guts me. Most likely because she's getting older. I've always thought of her as my daughter's bunny, even though I've taken care of her pretty much all her life with us, but except for when she was bonded briefly to Mimzy I didn't really have quite the connection with her that I do with Fiver and Mimzy. I love her dearly, don't get me wrong, but I always had to be a bit off to the side in case daughter decided to move out and take her with her..and then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much to say goodbye to her, does that make sense?
But as of these last two illnesses back to back...not only am I more invested (and I'm not talking money) but I think Pip is almost upset if I spend much time away from her or out of her sight. Whereas she's always been the diva because she didn't seem to attach to any of us...not anymore. She has apparently decided that "mum" needs to be nearby at all times, bless her. :oops:

The heat is turning up a moult on her again too. :( She is difficult to groom, especially now that she's not feeling totally well. I'm doing my best not to aggravate her and cause any stress, so I just get a wee bit off at a time when I can. Hopefully we won't have another bout of stasis while this is going on. She still isn't eating/drinking a great deal but her mouth is moving a bit better than it was and she's back to enjoying her haycakes in the evening. And she sure stands up and takes notice when the dandelions come in the room, which is great to see. :)

Thank you all for keeping up with us and asking about her. She is really a love and it's always great to see when a former standoffish bunny becomes more interested in being friends with you. :love:

Bless her, I am glad that there has been some improvement. Ear problems are horrid and it will never cease to amaze me how 'upbeat' Morse always remained despite having chronic ear disease. Hopefully Pip will continue to improve. I am sure the heat must make things much harder for all of you, I certainly do not cope with the heat, I have very poor thermo-regulation !!

Sending lots more vibes for Pip xx

Thank you both :love:
I remember Morse's ear troubles. :( I empathize, I am tying myself in knots over Pip and she's an up eared bun so you'd think it would be an easy fix...it always saddened me to know that the lop ears I found so adorable on Mimzy were likely the main cause of most of his problems and his head tilt probably began there. :(

Yeah, we're all melting over here. In a place where the normal temps for this time of year are usually pretty mild about now, we're getting quite cooked. There's a few fires in state too that are gaining national attention and we can see and smell smoke from the nearer ones, but God willing we won't get any here this year. True to form though, already the numpties are at it with the fireworks even though they've been banned. Just not enough police out here to do anything about it. :( I am glad my buns and cats and dogs don't really react to them, the memory of how horrid it was for Shadow and Taiku is more than enough to think about.

And the neighbors are having another set of parties (went for three days last week) where they turn their music up so high they can probably hear it down in the states...gotta have the windows open to get cool air so have to hear it all. :roll:

Ears...meh...troublesome things in more than one aspect! :lol:

I am so glad to hear she's doing a bit better now. The heat can be very debilitating - especially for a bunny covered in fur already!

Many vibes for even more recovery xx

It's good to hear Pip is doing better. Hope she keeps eating and everyone stays cool.
Have you tried one of those grooming gloves with the rubber nobs? If she likes to be petted, it might be a less stressful option.
It seems as though there is a new person in charge of the weather these days. It was in the low 60's yesterday so my buns were all over the place and causing all sorts of trouble. Back to high 80's today so they are a bit comatose.

Sorry I haven't been back to this. But I thought I'd just let everyone know that Pip is still doing well and, despite the terrible heat we've been having, has shown some of her liveliness again. She does still have those very quiet moments but I really feel she was traumatised by her experience and is a much more sedate bunny as a result.
She is supposed to have a recheck of her bloods on July 1 (not sure I mentioned that before, if I did, oops...senility strikes!) and the vet left a refill order at the front desk for her baytril if she should need more. I actually need to call them and ask if he wants her on it for another week or so, she's had almost 14 days so far.

Mostly just trying to keep them all happy because the heat and the smoke from the wildfires is really distressing to them. I'm not a fan either. :(

giddermup, yes we have tried those gloves. Sadly they just don't do the trick and boy are they hard to clean. :( I've used Furminators and Hairbuster combs too and alas...no joy because they yank too much fur out, and really the best way to go is just having them sit with me and either wet my hands and give them rubdowns (in Fiver's case this works well) or just keep them calm as possible while I pluck what comes away easily. Sometimes this is a shocking amount. :shock: And believe it or not, even a lint roller can gently pull the loose stuff away without tugging uncomfortably, but it has to be a full roll. When the roll gets lean, the cardboard tube rattles against the handle and it makes Fiver thump when he hears the noise...then that gets Pip going...then poor Jenna runs out the door in a fright. :roll:
*sigh* Bunny maintenance is really a 24/7 job...in case anyone was wondering. ;) :lol:

Thanks again everyone for the vibes. :) xxxx

glad Pip is doing well. I know what you mean about de-fuzzing rabbits. I go for the 'put on old clothes and pluck, pluck, pluck' approach. :)

Great to hear Pip is well. Hope the fires stop very soon.

I am another plucker here, combs don't work so I gently pull out the tufts, Mr B is the only one moulting. I wouldn't dare touch the other two they would freak, but they don't seem to moult much.

So glad to hear Pip is doing well :thumb:

I use a cat's moulting comb. Having tried lots of things over the years, it seems to take out the right amount ...

Thank you, happybun, BYB, MightyMax and minilop1 :)
I don't think I'll ever be able to remove the sight of her rolling from my mind, but especially now it's good to see she is stable. (Hoping I don't jinx that by writing this.) I don't think, with the fire danger threatening, that I could handle another sick pet or for her to relapse.
As an aside, with the wild temperature swings due to either there being smoky air (traps heat by inversion layer) or sudden updrafts bringing thunderclouds through (quick cool downs after sudden temperature climbs), she goes from her fur staying put and it flying off in tufts as she moves, respectively.
Fiver and Mimzy however do not appear to be having the same loss of fur as Pip. Mimzy's is just a few chunks around his face, Fiver has mostly back fur coming away but tiny amounts. They're all exposed to the same heat/cold ratios so you'd think I'd be buried in fluff regardless.
Not complaining, just saying. It's really so weird how they moult. And the neighbor's bunny who is running loose and living under my porch (apparently :? ) looks like Edward Scissorhands has got to him. :shock:

Back