• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH accidentally gave Inca too much Metacam tonight. - Update P8

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
As title, I was out so said to give her Twelve drops, OH heard me as Twenty......He told me on the phone and I panicked. I phoned the vet and he checked the max, dosage and said she should be ok.

Then I came home and found an uneaten part of her sugar snap pea with some Metacam left in, so we think that there maybe is 3 or 4 drops less than 20, which is not too bad.

Both me and OH were freaked out. Inca seems fine, thank goodness!

Last edited:
I am glad she is ok, thank goodness the vet could put your mind at rest. If there is any extra mischief tonight you'll know she's feeling extra good!

Really glad she's ok! It's an easy mistake to make! I nearly gave Parsnipbun's Parsley Piert 2ml metacam rather than 0.2ml because the syringe that comes with the box is dog sized. Realised at the last minute, but it terrified me the difference I could have given him all because the syringe that came with it wasn't the right size. :shock::shock: My vet always takes the large syringe out and gives me the smaller one!

The correct dosage is 0.3mg/kg - 0.6mg/kg but apparently you can give upto 1.5mg/kg for upto 5 days without causing lasting damage according to my vets formulary :wave:

Really glad she's ok! It's an easy mistake to make! I nearly gave Parsnipbun's Parsley Piert 2ml metacam rather than 0.2ml because the syringe that comes with the box is dog sized. Realised at the last minute, but it terrified me the difference I could have given him all because the syringe that came with it wasn't the right size. :shock::shock: My vet always takes the large syringe out and gives me the smaller one!

My vet normally gives a brown tub to pour a little into and small syringe to avoid that very problem!

Well she is her usual self this morning so the small over dose of Metacam must not have had much effect.....thank goodness!

That's not a massive dose anyway :) I'm glad Inca is okay though :)

Ginger can have up to 1.2ml/day if she struggles, which is something like 30 drops i think it is if you measure it out.

Its amazing how rabbits can cope with such a high dose, as their metabolise drugs so much quicker than most others.

That's not a massive dose anyway :)

Yip, but I just paniced cos it it was more than usual and cos she is such a poorly bunster......but then, she is one tough cookie as I have subjected her to so many meds and treatments since I got her.....all for her own good like!

Wee Inca (for Fluffers) You can see her wee turned in back leg in this pic, wee soul.
_MG_2195.jpg

Back