• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Numpty vet U/D pst 13 vet wont budge!

i think pictures of rU bunnies who have recovered from EC and treatments recieved are in order, flood them to the owner and to the vet, clearly the vet cannot be bothered to do her research another vet not keen on rabbits

If you would like these I have some...

At his illest (his body was upright, his head in this position parallel to the floor)...
DSC00137-vi.jpg

Ill... (this was actually after he started improving slightly)
IMGP4365-vi.jpg

IMGP4394-vi.jpg

Now...
_IGP0696-vi.jpg

_IGP0705-vi.jpg

_IGP0514-vi.jpg

It took 2-3 weeks, not days, before he showed improvement.

Last edited:
Our vet says a similar thing about antibiotic resistance :?

While I would agree that Metacam is very important part of treatment for EC , on 2 recent occasions we have only been able to give panacur as there were also indications of kidney problems and the vet advised us to stop the metacam.

I think it is so hard to know what to do for the best in many of these cases :cry:

That's really made me angry (at the vet not you). What twisted logic... to not prescribe antibioics because it would build up the rabbit's resistance when it's obvious they intend to put her to sleep anyway!

I agree! Why not just try it even if they dont agree with it, its a whole lot better than their alternative!

Sky-O yes Im at Colchester and Star lives in Braintree, but even if her owner wont swap Id still be interested in your rabbit savvy vet. I currently use Penrose but I wouldnt really trust them with anything other than the usual; rabbit problems!

This was Spring Lodge?
What on Earth!?!
Please can you confirm what branch, and vet so I will not use this person in future :evil:
Where's our Damien when you need him? :(

Yup Spring Lodge I was shocked!! Think she saw Joe and Portia! As neither of them were available at Witham this morning a vet phoned me from Black Notley didnt catch her name but it might have been Joe?!

Thank you Schuette I think I will be printing of a few piccies and RU stories! I think it will help Stars owner to see that its not all doom and gloom with the correct medication! Plus I may well send the info to the senior vet at the practice!

I do appreciate the issue with antibiotic resistence but in this case where they dont know for sure if its EC or a deep ear infection I think they should be precautionary and treat both!

Im hoping that its not too late for Star with the delay in getting her the medication she needs to make a full recovery!

Thank you all for your input!

If you would like these I have some...

At his illest (his body was upright, his head in this position parallel to the floor)...
DSC00137-vi.jpg

Ill... (this was actually after he started improving slightly)
IMGP4365-vi.jpg

IMGP4394-vi.jpg

Now...
http://images116.fotki.com/v695/photos/4/768474/9209418/_IGP0696-
vi.jpg
_IGP0705-vi.jpg

_IGP0514-vi.jpg

It took 2-3 weeks, not days, before he showed improvement.

Wow thank you this is exactly how little star is looking at the moment and were u given metacam for him?

I'd be inclined to complain to the head vet and ask them to fax the Bristol Rabbit Clinic for advice on treating these sorts of symptoms. If they are so convinced that metacam is no use, then they won't have anything to fear because Bristol should confirm their view...and if that isn't the case, well they will have learnt something won't they.

It's particularly disappointing as Spring Lodge are supposed to have a good reputation with rabbits. Maybe the suggestion to their head vet that they might lose some clients if they lose that repuation, wouldn't go amiss...

Wow thank you this is exactly how little star is looking at the moment and were u given metacam for him?

Glad I can help. It's tough. The toughest part is seeing them unable to stand but all the nursing and the pain watching him has been made up with by the at least three years since I've had with him. I pray there are many more to come.

I wasn't given metacam, he had several steroid injections along with a course of Baytril and at least two tubes in total of Panacur. But not only was 3 years ago now and at my old vets who weren't particularly rabbit savvy. Competent but not experienced with rabbits. It sounds to me based on this thread that the advice has changed in recent years to suggest Metacam instead of steroids.

ETA. Now I think about it I'm not sure. I've always assumed it was steroids (I have a bad memory - was sure the vet said steroid but I was a mess that day so who knows!) cos I thought Metacam only came in drops but it doesn't does it. Maybe it was Metacam. He had them that day, the day after and a couple of days after that, and maybe a week after that too.

Last edited:
Schuette it may well have been a steroid! Having looked on the internet it seems that cortico-steroids were used a lot more a few years ago but now they are contraindicated in rabbits most are prescribed a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like metacam.

Santa we are going to construct a letter with evidence to send to the practice owner and senior vet. We will add in the suggestion for them to contact the Bristol Rabbit Clinic!

This is a piccy Matilda&Twinks sent to me after her visit last night! She doesnt look quite as bad as some of the worst cases on here!

Star9Nov2010.jpg

Poor Star. I have no experience of EC personally but, from stories I've read on here and photos I've seen, Star seems to have a very good chance of recovery with the right treatment.

How frustrating that the vet doesn't seem open to any kind of suggestions and, from what you've described, has no real interest in bunny medicine at all. :(

Hope you get somewhere with the letter. :thumb:

Schuette it may well have been a steroid! Having looked on the internet it seems that cortico-steroids were used a lot more a few years ago but now they are contraindicated in rabbits most are prescribed a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like metacam.

Santa we are going to construct a letter with evidence to send to the practice owner and senior vet. We will add in the suggestion for them to contact the Bristol Rabbit Clinic!

This is a piccy Matilda&Twinks sent to me after her visit last night! She doesnt look quite as bad as some of the worst cases on here!

Star9Nov2010.jpg

I'm afraid so much was going on and I was so worried about him, Mischa is my special bun (not that I don't love the others but he has that something special), that I never took a lot in. I remember the Baytril and Panacur as I was doing that myself at home. I wonder what the contra-indications are. I knew little about rabbits and care back then. In fact that was the first time he'd been to a vet! I just didn't know about vaccinations. I was always going to get him neutered but past that I had no clue! Didn't even have a carrier! :oops:

The other thing obviously is making sure that he's eating. I was blessed in that Mischa is a pig and eats constantly, so I didn't have too much of an issue here. He hated Critical Care but was still eating his mix and hay. I did have to help him with the mix as he struggled to get to the bowl so had to handfeed him. He also appreciated having water syringed into his mouth.

Poor little mite. I hope he can get the treatment he needs. Sadly many vets seem to see this and think it's incurable or difficult to treat, I guess cos it looks so awful. We saw several different vets at the same practice over the period when he was ill and one took one look at him and said 'we must think carefully about whether to PTS'. I refused point blank as he was starting to improve and left the practice in floods of tears.

Poor little mite. I hope he can get the treatment he needs. Sadly many vets seem to see this and think it's incurable or difficult to treat, I guess cos it looks so awful. We saw several different vets at the same practice over the period when he was ill and one took one look at him and said 'we must think carefully about whether to PTS'. I refused point blank as he was starting to improve and left the practice in floods of tears.

She is taking star to the vet again on Monday as she is worried about the weight and only eating small amount of greens. I have told her if the vet says to pts then I will take star and her husbun toffee and medicate from there. I feel really useless and so sorry for star I really hooe she shows improvement soon. Xx thanks for your comments and pics they really help x

Back