• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nose to bum circle chasing?

Hi all. Our two boys are starting to settle and explore their new home but this last couple of nights they have been doing this thing where one will sniff the others bottom then the other sniffs back and then it turns into this made circle of chasing nose to bum until one decides to run off away. Is this something any of you have seen? Is it playing? I was worried at first as it looked a bit rough but I left them to it and they seemed fine and cosied up after, there was no fur missing or blood so I assumed all is ok?? :?

Circling can lead to fur pulling and fighting quite quickly, are they neutered? If they aren't neutered I would get them done asap, providing they are old enough, otherwise you may have to separate them and attempt to rebond 6 weeks after the neuter.

Circling can lead to fur pulling and fighting quite quickly, are they neutered? If they aren't neutered I would get them done asap, providing they are old enough, otherwise you may have to separate them and attempt to rebond 6 weeks after the neuter.

This.

If they start doing it again, they need to be separated and neutered. Circling is one step away from a serious fight and if they do fight, they may never bond again. Rabbits remember bad experiences.

How old are they? Boys can be neutered as soon as their "bits" drop if they weigh enough. :)

They are both neutered. They are 9 months old now and were both neutered together at the rescue as soon as they were old enough. They get on very well, sleeping together, grooming one another and happy to share their food.

The chasing has happened say 2 or 3 times in the past week and lasted about 5 seconds.

I will keep an eye on them.

They are both neutered. They are 9 months old now and were both neutered together at the rescue as soon as they were old enough. They get on very well, sleeping together, grooming one another and happy to share their food.

The chasing has happened say 2 or 3 times in the past week and lasted about 5 seconds.

I will keep an eye on them.

Have you recently got them, or moved them at all to new accommodation, or extended their space? Any of these can cause chasing etc, when I got my boys from the rescue the first day they were circling :shock: I restricted them to one level of their hutch and didn't allow access to the run for a couple of days, and it settled them down and they've been find ever since :thumb: I would recommend restricting their space for a few days to see if it settles them :thumb:

Thinking about it, if I see them start to sniff one another's bottom, should I try to distract them with something to prevent the chasing?

You could give them some herbs or something tasty to see if it distracts them, so long as they are used to whatever it is you are going to give them :thumb:

Have you recently got them, or moved them at all to new accommodation, or extended their space? Any of these can cause chasing etc, when I got my boys from the rescue the first day they were circling :shock: I restricted them to one level of their hutch and didn't allow access to the run for a couple of days, and it settled them down and they've been find ever since :thumb: I would recommend restricting their space for a few days to see if it settles them :thumb:

This. Fingers crossed reducing their space will help. My buns have been all bonded fr over a year and still chase and pull fur when in a new environment. They have never circled, though. Wonder if it's more a boy thing? (I have one boy and two girls).

Hi, yes, I should have said, they have been with us for 7 weeks now. When we first got them and extended their space this happened. We did exactly as you suggested and put them back in a smaller space and they settled. This past week they have started to venture from their room into our living room, which is next to their room, which they can see even when in their room as it is separated by puppy pen panels instead of doors.

It does sound like this could be due to the extra space. They are back in their room now and all seems to be ok.

We don't force them to come into the living room, we just open their pen and let them come if they want to.

Maybe I could limit their time out in the living room and increase it gradually?

I keep forgetting these things can't be rushed sometimes, after all they spent the first 7-8 months of their lives in a hutch together at the rescue :(

With the distracting, just be careful you don't reward the behaviour, you don't want bunnies that start circle chasing because they think it means they get treats :lol: So distract them, yes, but no treats until they've settled back down.

With the distracting, just be careful you don't reward the behaviour, you don't want bunnies that start circle chasing because they think it means they get treats :lol: So distract them, yes, but no treats until they've settled back down.

Tamsin, very good point! Thank you. :thumb:

May I also ask for some advice about at what point do I have to consider separating them? Which I hope I never have to do! As I have never had two bunnies before this is all a new experience for which I need to learn about. Any advice on what to look out for and how far is far enough etc would be welcomed.

I am also keen to know if it is usual for once this circling has occurred that they then cosy up again together after?

Mine tend to circle if food is coming, but if you see fur on the floor then that means they have had a scrap and if it happens again then you are seriously going to have to think about separating them. So just keep an eye out! :thumb:

I will most certainly keep an eye on them, they mean so much to me, I'd be devastated if anything happens to them. They are so happy together. I've not seen any fur so far so fingers crossed they will stay happy bunnies.

Oh my, I was absolutely distraught on Tuesday evening when we had another episode of circling which resulted in some fur pulled :( I separated them as quick as it started and didn't have a clue what to do. I contacted the rescue where they came from for advice and did what they suggested - put them in their carrier together and took them out in the car, drove round for half an hour then brought them back and put them in their cage with the doors shut. I stayed up with them for over two hours before going to bed which was well after midnight.

I have to say they seem to have settled back as they were and are sharing food and snuggling together.

This happened when i let them through to our living room so I think it was due to the extra space.

Could this have just been a bit of a blip that they have managed to get over?

Sounds like the extra space/new territory sparked things off which is very common. I would suggest keeping them in their own territory for as long as possible, several weeks to try to cement things :thumb:

It could definitely just be a blip, yeah. My two girls were spayed as soon as they were old enough, and have been together constantly for 5 years. They have had sporadic little blips for most of these years, perhaps once or twice a year. During those blips it'll last a week or possibly two where there's a slight bit of fuss - mostly chasing in my case. If one is in the way the other one goes over slightly more aggressively than they usually would and the other runs off. I usually just keep an eye on them and leave them to it - they're obviously working out their hierarchy, or something has spooked them etc. It's often been linked to one of them becoming poorly and the other sensing it. Speaking of which it may be an idea to pop them to the vet for a checkup if they haven't had one recently - the experience will make them closer even if the vet finds nothing. It could be anything setting it off if it's medical... if one has some dental problems emerging and had a shoot of pain just as the other brushed past him it could've easily sparked it off.

In non male/female pairs it can happen quite a lot and as long as it doesn't last for any significant period of time or result in any injuries it's best left for them to sort it out. Reducing their space can work well, and so can putting them back inside their hutch/cage if they're free ranging at the time. The carrier in the car idea has worked successfully for me in the past but I only do it when it gets more serious because I feel it's quite mean. However if it's the difference between them falling out and a trip in the car there's no contest :thumb:

Little spats and arguments can often occur at this time of year, and especially in spring - so much so that we have a name for it (spring fever!). A lot of people have found their bunnies get autumn fever too.

In terms of good ways to distract them I've found noises work well. If you have quite a loud cough that's a big loud distraction for them, and so is turning the tv/music up if you have any on. I've thumped my foot at my two before and they seemed to understand that :lol: Clapping quite loudly and going 'NO' is also a good one.

If you notice one grooming the other or asking for grooming... or just generally being good boys then it's always a good idea to praise them even if that's just afar with your voice.

Obviously be careful not to scare either of them since they're still quite new in your home.

Last edited:
Sounds like the extra space/new territory sparked things off which is very common. I would suggest keeping them in their own territory for as long as possible, several weeks to try to cement things :thumb:

:thumb: yes, I feel mean but I think it is the right thing to do for their sake. I need to remember that these two spent the first 8 months of their lives together in a rescue so it must all be very daunting for them and the space thing is obviously an issue that we need to take slowly. Thanks for your advice :D

Thanks yaretzi, sounds like you have a lot of experience of this. They had a check up when we got them 8 weeks ago but I did actually take them out again in their carrier to the vet today to get their nails trimmed and we checked their teeth, I only say a veterinary nurse but she was happy with their teeth in general. They have been a lot more chilled out in their cage and ventured out for a bit this evening just in their own room and things appear to be ok. Fingers crossed they have sorted their differences. I have also been giving them both a stroke together when they were laying next to one another and was telling them they are good boys. I know it's only been 8 weeks but they mean so much to me already :love:

Last edited:
Hi,
I started a rabbit farming about 3 weeks ago.
Each time any of my female rabbits come back home after a crossing by a male, another female in the pen would start chasing the crossed female around so much that it can't rest or even pause to eat or drink. I thought that the chasing would ease out, so I didn't take any action.
The next morning, I saw the nose of the chased female all bruised. Can anyone tell me what's going on.

Thank you.

Native Yolk Farms

Back