• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Normal Eyes? updated

Neleh

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I was giving Poppy a cuddle before bed and the angle I was at showed the light reflected in her eye. The pupil looked blue and cloudy. I got a pen light and flashed it over her eyes, both looked the same, she did not flinch. I compared to Malteser who tried to keep his eyes shut and his pupils were black but he hated it so much I didn't get to see the reflection but in photos they shine back bright red. I put my hand towards her eyes and she kept them open, only closing if I touched her eyelashes. Her eyes in photos this eve shone back a dull pink

We rescued her in Jan. At the time she had weeping eyes and her third lid was covering her eyes about 1 third of the way over. The RSPCA said they had their vet check her over and they saw no sign of dental issues (I agree as she loves hey, pellets and pear branches). They told me to keep a watch on her to see if anything developed further and to go back to them if we thought there was still an issue.
I've been looking online to see normal bun eyes and how the light should reflect back (most say bright red but I'm not sure if she could have some blue in her which would show blue? Her eyes are really dark in colour). I'm not sure if her eyes are normal or not, can anyone help?

She is skittishand jumpy when being stroked, especially near her scruff but we put that down to 5 years of minimal/poor handling and or being mistreated in her previous home. She always sat in one place at the RSPCA but wanders around following Mr Snowdrop here, also moves about on her own too. She isn't much of an explorer and needs tempting in new situations. When we first got her she sat in the carrier all day until we decided to take her out, and then when they were introduced she stayed in a box and tended to have a 'safe zone' which again we removed as Mr Snowdrop would mount her once he was done exploring. We just put this down to her nature but now I'm wondering if her vision could be making her this way?

Just putting the feelers out this eve so I can book her in in the morning if things seem to need attention. She is in great health (out of depression and has lost weight with being active and a careful diet, nice coat, clean bum) and otherwise OK.

Last edited:
I didn't want to "read and run" but i don't think I can offer any answers. The "cloudy" part of the description rings bells for me personally, I had a bun when I was younger who had similar to what you described in one eye; she was only confident when in her hutch with her mum and I was told it was cataracts... :shock: ????

Hope someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this soon, I would take her to the vets and let them take a look, put your mind at rest.xx

pop to your vets and get them to have a wee looksie, even if it turns out to be nothing it'll ease your mind :)

Cateracts was my first thought. We have called the RSPCA and they gave us the the number for the vet who checked Poopys eye's before we took her on. The vet is booked up and is the busiest in the practice so we are going to our lovely vet this eve. I'm hoping I'm panicking over nothing. I didn't want to wait any longer than needed. I will update later.
Thanks for your help guys

Just got back from the vets.
After a good look into her eyes vet was hqppy to say there are no lesions so no need for drops. Her pupils are slow to react and they do look blue. Vet said he thinks some of the issue is fear related and the other aspect is an outer end of the normality scale. He asked us how she gets about and is happy that she can see. He was pleased we took her as if this is the start of something he has something to compare it to. But for now he could see the retina and the back of the eys and all was within the normal limits.
Mr snowdrop came along too, vet was pleased to see him again and to meet our new addition. Mr snowdrop was flopped out in the carrier on the way there and back, poppy joined him in a flop on the way home:love: buns in love are adorable!!!!

Back