• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nic cubes or pens??

Barney rubble

Warren Scout
Just wondered what most people on here use or would advise for indoor bun set ups, I'm looking at both at the moment but unsure what to get, pens seem to be cheaper than the cubes but then cubes ur more flexible on shape/size etc.......Looking through pic of set ups most I can see are cubes so this turns me towards getting the cubes, what does everyone think????? would love to hear from u all.

I personally use both :lol: I use the NIC cages for their base area, for a cage, and I use the pens to block off areas of my room, or enclose them somewhere when I don't want them going where they normally go. The NIC grids also make good pens too (when you use cable ties).

I have pens as they were so much easier to get hold of than NIC cubes.

The buns have an XL dog crate with an 8-panel pen attached as their base (making 9ftx3ft in total, though the doors are always left open and they free-range in the living room).

Then we have an 8-panel pen that we use as a fence (we took off one set of 'hinges' to open it out) that fences off the area of the living room that has the computer/ telephone/ lamp/ antique chest of drawers in.

Then in our conservatory another 8-panel pen split into two 'fences' of 4 panels each, which fence off the piano at one end of the room and random stuff at the other end.

Finally we have a 6-panel drop-pin pen: 4 of the panels fence off the TV in the living room, and the remaining 2 panels are used to block off the conservatory doors when we open them.

I would recommend the 8-panel pens, as they're much better value for money than the 6-panel drop-pin pens. Also, because of how the drop-pin pens are hinged together, they can only really make hexagon shapes (you can't use them for straight fences, or a rectangular shaped pen). Whereas the 8-panel pens can be straight/rectangles/octagons, etc.

This thread caught my eye, my husband and I are moving in about a week to a rented flat so will not be able to let Jims have as much free range as we do at the moment, so have been thinking about attaching a pen to his current cage. (nic cubes) I would be interested where I could get hold of a pen?

We use NIC cubes as they are really flexible and you can change the shape/ size/ add to them/ make more levels. However we do have to use cable ties as the first night we had Blossom she did an escape act. Timmy has never escaped though.

Never used a pen!

I would be interested where I could get hold of a pen?
I've bought all mine from ebay. There are loads of actual pet shops that sell on there with buy it now prices, so you don't need to worry that you're buying from some random seller. Generally prices on ebay are about half the price of what you'd pay in a pet shop.

With pens, the panel width is always the same (2ft), but the taller the pen the more expensive. We've got two nethies who don't jump, so we've got 2 small pens and 2 medium ones.

:wave: I use NIC Cubes, I have 2 sets as mine are kept seperate but side by side at the mo hopefully when they are bonded I can take the middle panal out - they are good for protecting skirting boards too!

Making a door?

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting some of these to make a run to add to my indoor rabbits hutch. How do you make doors with these mesh boxes? I will have to have them at least two boxes high as Justin is really good at jumping!

Last edited:
Back