• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly single bunny - New friend?

Murphy30

Warren Scout
Hi all

I've not posted for a while, but I wanted to see if anyone could offer any advice. On Tuesday evening we tragically lost our little boy Milo. He was only five years old, and he choked on a pellet which he then aspirated. I rushed him to the vets, who luckily are only five minutes away but there was nothing they could do to help him and he was suffering terribly and struggling to breathe so I made the decision to have him put to sleep. He and his sister have been together since they were babies, and apart from a few months separation while they were both being neutered, have never been apart. Milo was always the people bunny, he didn't mind being stroked and having a fuss, but Cookie has always been a "Bunny bunny", preferring the company of her brother to humans. She never got to see his body (Something which I now regret, as I think she is confused as to where he is gone, and every so often looks for him). She is eating well, and even did some binkies in the garden last night, but I can't help but be worried about her being on her own. They had a large 5ft x 7ft shed with permanent attached 6ft run at the bottom of our garden, and I really worry about her being down there on her own, especially over the Winter. Ideally I'd like to get her another friend, but I would prefer to get another bunny the same age as her, who is nice and laid back, as although hers and Milo's was an easy bond, she can be slightly stroppy so I think she would end up being the dominant one in a new partnership (Milo was the dominant one in their coupling, but she did challenge him every so often) Sorry for the long post, I'm still in shock over what happened, and missing my little boy like crazy. He was my funny little furball, and I still can't believe he's gone, and in such a horrible way as well. I'll never be able to get his terrified little face out of my head :cry:

I guess what I'm asking is - Is it too soon to think about getting her a partner? Our other option would be to bring her into the house and have her as a single house bunny - We have a very large kitchen and could bring her kennel and litter tray in from the shed for her. She could have the run of the place even when we're not there, but she's never lived inside before so I don't know if she would like it. If we do get her a partner, does anyone know of any rescues in the Oxfordshire area that would help us bond - She doesn't like travelling, so going too far to bond her with another bunny isn't an option.

Again, apologies for the long post - Thanks for reading if you got this far..

I'm so sorry you lost Milo.
I have no experience of this, but I've certainly seen posts on here where people have bonded their newly single bunnies very quickly because they were lonely.

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: I've not had any experience of this either, but just wanted to offer my condolences. Have you looked on the rabbits in need section, there may be a rescue on there with rabbits needing homes?

We lost one of our buns, Alfie, very sadly and suddenly on Sunday night. Sweetie, his wife, did see his body, but it still seemed a bit like she was looking for him at first. I think she just felt lost. :cry:

We have just been to our local rescue today with her and (we got Sweetie from there a year ago) got her a new husbun. I always go by what the rescue advise and they suggested bonding sooner rather than later. She seems to be accepting him far better than when we bonded her with Alfie actually, it's going very well so far, but we've only been home an hour or so.

Later on in the year the rescue are going to try and bond them into a quad with our other pair, as I don't want to risk one bun being left alone again, it has been awful and made losing Alfie so much worse.

Thanks guys - I did have a look on the rabbits in need section, but the ones I could see were all either too far away, were girls, or were very young. It's my preference to have one similar in age to her rather than any worries about bonding different ages, as I'd rather they grew old together if you see what I mean?

I'll keep looking and in the meantime if anyone does hear of a laid back dwarf lop sized middle aged buck looking for a lady bun and a new home, please keep me in mind..

We have a great set up for them, and I admit (as I'm sure you all do!) to spoiling my babies rotten so any bun we did decide to adopt would have a loving home for life. :love:

Thanks guys - I did have a look on the rabbits in need section, but the ones I could see were all either too far away, were girls, or were very young. It's my preference to have one similar in age to her rather than any worries about bonding different ages, as I'd rather they grew old together if you see what I mean?

I'll keep looking and in the meantime if anyone does hear of a laid back dwarf lop sized middle aged buck looking for a lady bun and a new home, please keep me in mind..

We have a great set up for them, and I admit (as I'm sure you all do!) to spoiling my babies rotten so any bun we did decide to adopt would have a loving home for life. :love:

I went through a similar thing with my boys earlier in the year. Frasier got sick very suddenly & passed away to gut stasis. Niles, thankfully, has been ok since & he been eating well, showing no real signs of depression. He is a housebun, so he gets plenty of attention from us.

It took me a long time to find him a potential wifebun, but I finally feel ready for it. He's a nethie so I really wanted a nethie to bond with him, thankfully I've just found her! :D

I say give yourself & him a little bit of time to grieve and then you can get a feel for how he is on his own. Niles is a completely different bun now, much more chilled out & will happily play in the lounge. Whereas with Frasier, he was grumpier, hated being held (more than he does now! Lol) & they would mostly sit around in the lounge. He's actually started binkying now too, which was a rarity with Frasier about. Niles is still very bunny oriented, which is why I wanted a wifey for him.. Someone to cuddle & groom <3

I am really sorry for your loss :( I hope Cookie is coping well xx

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had 2 little nethies who were brother and sister with a really close bond. Poppy sadly died 2 months ago. Like yours, it was very sudden and quick and the vets couldn't save her. We got Will a new friend after 2 weeks. They were outside buns in a big hutch and run but I wanted him bonded before it turned cold so he had someone to snuggle.

We took him to the rescue where we got him from. I really wanted another Nethie but the only one there was another male and it was instant hate. Will finally chose Nancy who is classed as a mixed medium breed. So she is quite a lot bigger than Will.

I'm in Essex so unfortunately cant recommend a rescue near to you but dont worry about them having to be the same size as Will chose Nancy, not me.

Back