• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits

lovemypets

New Kit
Hi, tomorrow morning I will be bringing home two lovely little guys they area 8 wks old,what's the best way to get them to settle? Do I just put them in the hutch and leave them? Already have plans to get them neutered when they are old enough and they are from the same litter thanks

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hello :wave:
Let them settle in and take things in their own time.
Spend time with them, you lying on the floor, ignoring them (try reading a magazine or something) when they approach (bunnies are curious so they will) don't reach out straight away. Gradually they'll learn that you're not going to try to pick them up and they'll relax in your company.

I've assumed that they'll be house rabbits BTW, if they're going to be outside I'm sure someone else on the forum will come along with advice.
You might want to check out guidance on the RSPCA site https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits and the RWAF booklet http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

How exciting! :D

They are outdoors, both males, one of them loves cuddles and will even lick your face while he cuddles into your neck, not seen much of the brother as he always hides behind his sisters, so guessing he is not happy with cuddles lol

He might be more cuddly later on some do as they get older.
As for keeping two males it's not unheard of I just don't know anyone who has personally and just because they are litter mates doesn't mean they won't fight :/

Hopefully someone will have some advice :)

I have already spoken to a vet who said they will be fine as well bonded as long as I get them both neutered at 4 months old just worried how to help them settle as it's the first time they will be away from mum and sisters,

Back