• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to all this - looking for help and tips :)

hi,
we just got a little boy bunny yesterday from preloved (free to a good home, see my post in the introductions forum :) ), please excuse all the questions but i want to learn all i can :love:

you can see a picture of him here... :love: http://www.keepingmesane.com/fuzzies.html
just scroll down the page :) the pictures arent great as i want to let them settle properly

I have to say, he is the most gorgeous rabbit i have ever seen, such a gorgeous ginger colouring (we are all red heads here so he fits in perfectly :p )

the last owners werent very forthcoming with details about him but i gained that he is about 6 months old, i cant remember what breed they said he is but they kept saying he was quite rare ? im not convinced on that but i would love to know what breed he is. He seems a medium size rabbit and has gorgeous soft silky coat. he is all over the one colour except for lighter colours on the insides of his ears and bottom of feet, and a white half of his tail

he came in an indoor cage that im not keen on at all, seems so small :( , will be replacing it sharpish but need to ask you if these hutches are any good? ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3304&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....1095&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

we are thinking of homing him in a shaded area just outside our patio doors so we can see him at all times, and he can see us. will use a moveable run for him to come out. Also his home will be moved to a shed during the winter months (the shed will be made suitable for the animals before they go in)

out of interest, when in pets at home, i saw a type of cover that went over the hutch to keep it warm in the winter... are they worth it and ok for diego? or is it another gimmick. cant believe what they sell saying its suitable for your pet and its nowhere near suitable.

I am worried that he is on his own, i have heard that two males can fight so does that mean he cant have a companion introduced? can he go out in the run with our guinea pigs.
what can we give him in his hutch to keep him happy and content?

what food would you recommend that is the best?

Are there any good uptodate books i should check out, i have two older pet books but looking around, the information seems outdated.

i think thats all for now :oops: sorry to ask so much, but i want to do whats best :)

Hiya, I'm still quite new to this too, but I think I can asnwer a couple of your questions. Really hutch wise, you should be looking for a minimum of a 5'x2'x2' hutch, with a run attached. The Happy Hutch Company seem popular on here, and the Thistle Hall from Pets at Home is a good size too. The covers are quite useful too. :) And if you get the p@h hutch, you can easily get one to fit. :) With all out side hutches, it's imperitive you take off what ever fastners there are on the doors and replace them with lockable bolts. This ensures that no one will get into your bunnies.

Food wise, a pelleted food is the best, so Sciance Selective, Burgess Excel, Wagg optimum, Oxbow and Allen and Paige are all good. :) I'm sure you know this but Bunny must have acess to hay all of the time. If he only has a bottle of water, give him a bowl too, as they seem to like to drink from bowls better then the bottles.

For books to check out, I beleive that one of the best is the Rabbitlopedia, especially for newbies like us. :D

Hi
Well done you for giving such a gorgeous bunny a home! Diego is beautiful! :love::love:
I would have though the hutches are ok. I have 4ft hutches, but they are open 24hrs, as they are in an aviary with 4½x6ft play space. :)
As far as I understand things, it's not a good idea to keep rabbits with guinea pigs, but again, not something I have experience of. I can say, my first bunny was a changed woman when I got her a husbun. She went from a very quiet, antisocial grump, to a friendly, mischievous monkey! :love:

Carmen

Hi:wave:, and welcome to the forum. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but does he have normal whiskers or are they very short and look as though they've been singed? If so he could be an Orange Rex(lucky you!!). He looks quite young..have you any idea of his age? When you take him to the vet for his check up and vaccinations get his sex confirmed and then you could arrange a neutring and start thinking about finding him a friend especially if he is going to be an outdoor bunster. Male/female pairings usually work the best and easiest although there are loads of people on here with same sex bonds. Consider finding his future friend through one of the rescues on here as the rabbit will come vet checked and neutered and some will even do the bonding process for you!!:). I can't wait for the next pictures! Get snapping..we LOVE photos!!!

Last edited:
Hi you have a lovely bun. He looks like he might be a rex to me but im not the most experienced when it comes to breeds. Hutch wise I would go for the largest you can if you are thinking of getting him a friend then a min of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and a good sized run too. I would definately suggest getting him a friend maybe neuter him and get a neutered female - most rescues will help with bonding :)

Hi there :wave: he looks like a thrianta, they are quite rare.

I wouldn't put him in with the guinea pigs. Rabbits back legs are very powerful and they kick out when playing which could seriously injure a guinea pig.
A neuterd male and neutered female rabbit will get on well, so if you get him neutered he could have a female friend :)

thanks guys, im definately going to look into a rescue lady bunny for him when he has been neutured.
just looking into making a whole new area in the garden for the new arrivals :)
call it a rabbit paradise :D

orange rex? im just off to see what they look like and i'll get back to you. i know he doesnt have a different coloured belly though, is that usual?

oh and no worries about putting him with the guineas, i knew they shouldnt be housed together but i was told they could run together which i thought a little odd so wanted to check it out first :)

Back