• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new rabbit owner.

I didn't mean for people to feel ashamed about their buns that come from pet shops. I'm very sorry if anyone felt this way from what I said. And please don't feel ashamed about all your beautiful bunnies.

I dont feel ashamed of my bunny, as im so proud of him,im ashamed of myself for not researching into bunnys a lot more. If i had of looked, id of found all those buns that need re-homing. Can 2 male rabbits live together as adults? My husbands going to build a bigger hutch,then maybe we will get another,or a guina pig, the pet shop said that its a boy, but i guess ill find out when he goes to the vets. Ill check the price this week and get him booked in. Thanks everyone:roll:

not really, it depends on the temprament and both would need to be neutered. the best pairing is a neutered male and spayed female as they tend to be more harmonious. having said that alot of people on here have kept males togather x

Hi, congrats on your new bun, I have 2 dutches, a tan and white and a blue and white, both boys and both the most affectionate and naughty of my 7 buns! I love them to bits! neither were handled particularly as babies, both were forgotten children's pets so hopefully yours being handled and loved from a babe will make him extra friendly!!! The best pairing is male/female, but i have 4 males and 3 females all living together with no problems. The key is making their environment interesting so they interact with it and with each other. Lots of things to explore, chew on, different textures, hay in a rack up high so they have to stretch to get it and so on. Also try sitting in the run with him and letting him approach you, buns don't really like being picked up, instinct tells them this is what happens when they are caught by a predator. Whenever I go out in the shed all 7 of mine charge round my feet, and I have to do a quick head count and body check :lol: They all get handled once a week for a more thorough check but are happiest on the ground. Your bun would also benefit from a friend, buns are very social creatures and watching 2 play together is magical!
Good luck, there is lots of advice on here, don't be scared by some of us, some of us have been here far too long!!!!:lol:
Most important thing is to enjoy your bun, love him and POST SOME PICTURES FOR US!!!!!!!:lol:
xx Jess

Hi

I'm a fairly new rabbit owner as well. My rabbit is a house rabbit. She was very timid at first, so I left her alone in her new surroundings for a few days before slowly increasing the amount of time I spent with her. Pet shop rabbits aren't used to much human contact, and the longer they're in the pet shop, the worse they get. Your rabbit should do a lot better than mine has, as it's only 12 weeks old. I got mine at 22 weeks and I don't think I'll ever be able to pick her up and she very rarely likes to be stroked.

Feeding them fresh food has to be the best bonding technique! As soon as I introduced my rabbit to celery, fresh parsley and carrots (with the green tops still on), she couldn't keep herself away!

Oh, you should check with your vets if your rabbit is really a boy! I was told mine was a boy, so I named her Bob, and now the poor thing is stuck with that name!

I was also told she was a Papillion, but I knew that wasn't true by just looking at her. She's a French or German lop (still haven't figured out which one!).

If I ever buy another rabbit in the future, I'll definitely go through a breeder as I now realise that I would have loved to know a bit more about my rabbit before I bought her. I wouldn't trade her for anything now, but I always worry if her parents had a history of bad illness or bad behaviour.

Take care.

Tara

n60501321_32258940_446.jpg

n60501321_32258944_1863.jpg

Thanks everyone, im going to try get some pics of him over the weekend. He has settled really well,and doesnt seem to mind being held now. I have heard bunnys live happy with guninie pigs, is that true? Im not sure i can afford to get him neauted,how much does that cost? Im going to book him in for his first jab on monday. Does anybody have there buns insured? Im thinking of maybe getting him insured. We plan on building him i big hutch in our bedroom,we have a built in double wardrobe that would make him a better hutch,it makes me sad to see him in such a small space. If i was to get a guinea pig should i get a male of female? My bun is supposed to be male,but ill get the vet to check when we go. Also can bunnys eat sweetcorn? corn on the cob? Thanks. :p

hi welcome

and NO SWEETCORN to calorific for them

and no to living with guinea pigs as well bunnies can kick n injure them.

Hi,

I've just had my bunnies neutered. It cost £47 for each to be castrated & that included the cost of a check up 10 days after the op.

When male bunnies get to about 3 months old they start spraying urine to mark their teritory. Having them castrated stops that so I reckon the operation is cheaper than the carpet cleaner I would have needed!

I'm also new to owning a bunny having bought one in early July & a second a month later. It's been a steep learning curve with more frustration & more fun than I ever imagined!

Hi does anyone know if rabbits can have oranges,tangerines? plumbs,any type of squash(butternut or summer) He's so cute,he's got to know us now,he's really cheeky,and sometimes dives on our bed,he sometimes chews the wood in his hutch,ive bought him knawing toys,but he prefers to trash his home,lol,any tips on how to stop him knawing his hutch? Ive still not booked him in for his jab,but will try to asap. Thanks everyone:roll:

Back