• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new partner(s) for existing female - advice plz

mikek

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

i've been reading up on bonding, but would now like some personal advice on my situation if possible.

the situation is a 5yr or so un-neutered female who lost her sister 2 weeks ago. i would like to try and get her a companion or perhaps more, but not too sure the best option.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=212300
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=212246

she was the more dominant of the 2 sisters, and at present un-neutered although may well be done in the next 3 months or so (afetr her diet!). they spent all their life outdoors in an approx 18metre x 8 metre garden.

ideally i would like say 3 or 4 or 5 rabbits, all altogether getting along lovely, but a least 1 companion for her (pref 2) if more not possible - rescued rabbits of course, not from a shop/breeder etc.

so......
1 x neutered male to go with her?
get her neutered and 1 extra unneuterd male?
get her neutered and 1 neutered male?
try 3 more bunnies all at once with her ?
go for gold ad get a few?

if it all went badly, i would be able to house a pair sperately, but more would be a prob, and i would be reluctant to end up with 2 single rabbits having to ave seperate areas.
the sharing running area but with seperate accomodation arangement would not really be an option either.

any recommendations?

thanks

mike

I would start by getting her neutered. This will help to make the bonding process as easy as possible. She will need recovery time for this too. - Unfortunately I don't think they tend to do tummy tucks at the same time! ;)

Speak to a few local rescues. Once you are aware of her temperament following her spay you will know her character to better assess the type of buddy she will need. It may be that a rescue can help you to bond her with another male and another female. Or just another male. Bunnies personalities affect this process greatly, so only certain bunnies seem happy and able to be bonded in large groups.

I would meet up with a few local rescues and get their take on things. They'll know the personalities of their buns, and give you some great advice. :D

Back