• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Owner: I need some tips, how do I train my Bunny?

It really depends on the rabbit. I would say behavior wise mine are very like dog/cat crosses. Yes, they can be trained. like they know their names if you say they names to them a lot, same with any animal. So then when you call their name they will come running if they expect pets/treats. When you walk them on a leash, you're supposed to follow them, not the other way around like with a dog. Because buns have delicate skeletons... you probably could train them to follow you with treats but its more fun for the rabbit to be able to do what it wants when its outside. which is fine as long as it gets time off the leash as well.

There's actually a lot of tricks you can teach rabbits through positive training (treats/pets for rewards). You can train pretty much anything. Fish can be taught things, like goldfish can be taught games like put the ball through the hoop, hamsters can be taught lots of tricks. You have to consider the differences with the animal though. Some skittish rabbits aren't interested in tricks, though I'm sure with time and patience it wouldn't be impossible.

B2.jpg

05022011366.jpg

100_2962.jpg

100_2953.jpg

oooh Thanks, Photobucket...

Oky, so what do you think about the packet of "seedy thingies" I bought from the petstore? Are they any good? Bunny only eats them when it is mixed with his pellits.

And no, I live in south africa. Weather is kind of **** these last couple of days. Hot and humid as hell, so we keep bunny in the house where temp is controlled by a/c.

Any other tips? Things that he might like? Something we can buy him like a good toy for bunnies. Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Ah right weather thing probably not a factor although be careful as bunnies can get too hot quite quickly. The seeds dont sound great to be honest. Good toys are things like rabbit friendly wood blocks willow sticks, hawthorn sticks, apple tree twigs and branches. The inner cardboard from toilet roll stuffed with hay

ETA WOW he is cute :love:

Thanks.

I will have to get him neutered soon though. He is now beginning to leave his mark everywhere. Also doesn't like tennis on the TV.

The sound is turned down very low, but I guess with ears like that he must think there is a fullblown war takings place. He stares at the Tv and with each hit of the ball he gives a little hop.

Actually very amusing, but I had to switch the channel. Just afraid that he is frightened by it.

He just makes your heart melt! Where abouts in South Africa are you? I was born in Durban! Welcome to the world of buns, please dont think you have been pounced on, just everyone here has a very strong opinion and it can come across a bit rude but honestly we are very helpful and quite good company so I hope you choose to stick around.

We definately need more pics of that heart breaker!

haha I get that and will definitely stick around.

I will take some pictures and post them this weekend. I'm at work now and bunny is chilling at home with mom.

I'm Based in Cape Town.

How do you know the difference when something is entertaining the bunny or scaring it. Like the tennis. Is that hopping out of entertainment or because he is scared?

Just wondering, because my logic tells me that the first instinct when being scared is to run to a safe place. Not stand there in the middle of the living room, staring at the tv and giving a bounce each time somebody hits a ball.

Somebody got info on this?

haha I get that and will definitely stick around.

I will take some pictures and post them this weekend. I'm at work now and bunny is chilling at home with mom.

I'm Based in Cape Town.

How do you know the difference when something is entertaining the bunny or scaring it. Like the tennis. Is that hopping out of entertainment or because he is scared?

Just wondering, because my logic tells me that the first instinct when being scared is to run to a safe place. Not stand there in the middle of the living room, staring at the tv and giving a bounce each time somebody hits a ball.

Somebody got info on this?

Definitely entertained/curious. Honestly, people overreact about scaring bunnies. Not ALL rabbits all skittish and scare easily. Yours sounds really tame, so he's not likely to be afraid of a lot of things like some rabbits would be. They quickly get used to the tv too.

Definitely entertained/curious. Honestly, people overreact about scaring bunnies. Not ALL rabbits all skittish and scare easily. Yours sounds really tame, so he's not likely to be afraid of a lot of things like some rabbits would be. They quickly get used to the tv too.

Good to know. We got him at about 6 weeks of age, if not younger. He was very small. Bought him in a petstore (I know, not the ideal place. He was just so cute).

Anyway Since we got him he would spend most of the day either on or with my wife. Mostly infront of the tv while shes studying. So I guess that 24/7 human contact might have helped.

He has this funny habit of walking up to her on the bed and just flopping his body into hers, lay down and sleep. Thats very cute, but when you have to get up and wake him while doing so. He gets mad/angry. Moves to one side and be different until she gives him a treat.

How should she handle tantrum bunny?

oh btw, we named the bunny Bunnysaurus Rex, but call him bunny in short.

Back