• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New & need outdoor housing advice

Hi! I am currently bunny-less but due to get 2 baby lion heads buns from the same litter in 4 weeks time and keen to get the best outdoor cage I can get. I love the idea of a wendyhouse/shed but unfortunately the boyfriend has said no way to them! I have seen a great looking hutch here http://www.rabbithutchwarehouse.co.uk/hutches.php

I was thinking of the Grand Deluxe Maisonette Three Storey Rabbit Hutch With Run 4ft long 2ft deep 3 floors high with a run attached. I have emailed them to see if I can change the run to a 6x4ft one or bigger instead but havent had a reply yet. Do you think this would be ok? I do not know what sex my buns will be yet so I was thinking if I had this size hutch and got a brother and sister bun I could keep them separated but still close together once they reach maturity and before they have been nutered/spayed as I have read this is advisable? then once they have settled after the op, reintroduce them. Hope I'm correct saying this as Ive read up so much varying info!

As these are a lot cheaper than the Rydale ones Im sure the quality is no match, but unfortunately the Rydale ones are way too pricey!

Please let me know your opinions as I've done nothing but look at hutches for the past few weeks and would love to come to a decision and get it all ready for my new arrivals!

It's better to have a longer hutch with less stories as ladders take up a lot of space and six foot gives them a length to run up and down. Bigger is better but the recommended minimum is 6 foot long by 2 foot wide and 2 foot high with an attached run of 8 foot by 4 foot. :) sadly i can find very few hutches on that site that are 6 foot :shock: so I personally would steer clear.

Mine are actually inside so I have no idea of the quality but I believe Ryedale is a good manufacturer. I know it's a lot of money but it's a one off, buy a cheap one and you'll likely be replacing it in a year.

Last edited:
I think that hutch will be too small for two rabbits. I think you need the hutch to be at least 6ft and more than 2ft wide with two rabbits.

It is very expensive you could get a shed cheaper. Are you sure you can't charm your boyfriend into getting a shed! ;)

Be careful not to buy a hutch that is too small, when I got my two as babies I bought a hutch on the recommendation of Just for Pets, within six months they were too big for it. then bought another bigger one and had that for another 6 months and realised that they didn't have enough room. So have now opted for a shed. So just be careful, you don't want to end up buying loads of hutches like me!!!:)

I am the biggest supporter of wendyhouses! I had a Ryedale hutch, it was brilliant quality, but found the harsh winter weather tough to care for them in a hutch, you are so exposed as you tend to them. I have a pretty little wendyhouse, so nice to go in and sit with them. No chance of changing the bf's mind?The Duchess has lots of nice wendyhouses in photos on this site somewhere, all different colours and themes.:wave: They are a garden feature more than a hutch IMHO. Buns love them!

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately the 'other half' has said a definite no to wendy houses/sheds and thinks i am crazy for even considering them so sadly it will have to be a hutch :cry: I am thinking maybe I could get someone to make me one similar to the one I have shown but 6ft long 2.5 deep and 2 stories high with a 6x8 run attached. Do you think that kind of size would be ok? In the future I will get another run and attach them if possible, and in the winter we have a brick built garage with electrics that I can keep them in, though it is really not suitable for them any time soon as is full of junk/years worth of spider webs/dust etc, but my plan is it make it a cosy place for them in the winter as it has a window and ventilation.

Hi, late reply but I just thought I would update that after lots and lots of moaning at my boyfriend I am now getting a shed for my bunnies! The idea started with a small super cheap shed which he agreed to but I've now ordered a 6x8 one that's getting delivered later this week! whoop! I have also talked him into helping me insulate it too which he was also dead against at first! lol the powers of female persuasion! :D
I am going to get a 4x8 run attached to the side of the shed by a runaround tube and flower doors so that I can move the run onto the grass to give the buns some variety as we are going to also put paving slabs down where the shed/run combo is (which I also convinced him to do!lol)

I am very excited about it all and cant wait to get the project done and then collect my baby bunnies! I think they will love their new home! I am slightly concerned about my bank balance as dont seem to do things by half but I know they will have lots of room to run around in and will be nice and cosy in the shed once it is done so it will be worth it :-D

aw they will be happy buns well done with the persuasion. wish mine had a shed! i look forward to pics when its all done :)

Nicely persuaded. ;)

And to top it all off you could paint the outside pink or something. :lol:
Some hanging baskets, pet safe pain on the inside, hang some mirrors!

In all seriousness though you are going to have some very lucky and happy bunnies. :)

Hi, late reply but I just thought I would update that after lots and lots of moaning at my boyfriend I am now getting a shed for my bunnies! The idea started with a small super cheap shed which he agreed to but I've now ordered a 6x8 one that's getting delivered later this week! whoop! I have also talked him into helping me insulate it too which he was also dead against at first! lol the powers of female persuasion! :D
I am going to get a 4x8 run attached to the side of the shed by a runaround tube and flower doors so that I can move the run onto the grass to give the buns some variety as we are going to also put paving slabs down where the shed/run combo is (which I also convinced him to do!lol)

I am very excited about it all and cant wait to get the project done and then collect my baby bunnies! I think they will love their new home! I am slightly concerned about my bank balance as dont seem to do things by half but I know they will have lots of room to run around in and will be nice and cosy in the shed once it is done so it will be worth it :-D

Congrats on talking the boyfriend round! Knew you could do it! Us women and our powers of persuasion. Well done! You will have some very happy little bunnies!!! :D

Back