• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New little hamster :)

Will do, we've gone for the 120cm long one and the hemp mat for inside it, and a few rodipet accessories [emoji38] I really love their stuff tbh. Going to put all his current cage stuff and some new things in when it arrives, he seems very attached to a little blue house [emoji7] I'll let you know what I think of it. But you're right there's not that many great options available for hamsters imo. I'm sad Michaels managed to crack this one's plastic base as Idk where you can even get cages in this size, like this one anymore tbh! Ah well, I've always wanted to try the rodipet one, so now's my chance [emoji38] looks easy to construct at least!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

yeeah, esp now with covid.. there are no good cages at all. skyline's cages are almost non existent rn :( and with brexit. some EU cages I've seen are impossible to get a hold of too, it really sucks.

yeah I love rodipet so much, they have some really awesome stuff tbh!! I got their water bottle holder as per your suggestion for the gerbs and I loved it. it seems really good quality and the idea of granite to help nails seems awesome too tbh. idk how much it helps but it looks pretty, and its easy to wipe clean. gerbs often seemed to pee on it while drinking :lol: smth like wood would have been soaked and gross. I still have it now actually, I'll give it a good clean and probably reuse it when we're ready to welcome another friend into our home

the 120cm was the one I was eyeing too, more space to put all my stupid accessories the hamster probably won't even care for tbh.. :lol: I also was eyeing up a wooden cage from hamster-homes.com - its supposedly for hedgehogs but it would work for a hamster too, 120cmx60cm https://www.hamster-homes.com/shop/super-large-pygmy-hedgehog-cage-small-pet-home-120x60cm/
they do one for actual hamsters, 90x60cm, but damn if I don't want a massive cage to fill with cute junk

yeeah, esp now with covid.. there are no good cages at all. skyline's cages are almost non existent rn :( and with brexit. some EU cages I've seen are impossible to get a hold of too, it really sucks.

yeah I love rodipet so much, they have some really awesome stuff tbh!! I got their water bottle holder as per your suggestion for the gerbs and I loved it. it seems really good quality and the idea of granite to help nails seems awesome too tbh. idk how much it helps but it looks pretty, and its easy to wipe clean. gerbs often seemed to pee on it while drinking [emoji38] smth like wood would have been soaked and gross. I still have it now actually, I'll give it a good clean and probably reuse it when we're ready to welcome another friend into our home

the 120cm was the one I was eyeing too, more space to put all my stupid accessories the hamster probably won't even care for tbh.. [emoji38] I also was eyeing up a wooden cage from hamster-homes.com - its supposedly for hedgehogs but it would work for a hamster too, 120cmx60cm https://www.hamster-homes.com/shop/super-large-pygmy-hedgehog-cage-small-pet-home-120x60cm/
they do one for actual hamsters, 90x60cm, but damn if I don't want a massive cage to fill with cute junk

Yea, we had two skyline tanks before, don't seem to be able to get them now easily, especially not the larger ones.

We still have a couple of those water bottle towers too! I really like them, but they've stopped selling that one.. Not sure why, but they have a new one.. Which I ordered... [emoji38] I'm a little unsure because I'm worried if it fell over (if you look on their website I'm sure you'll see what I mean, it's hard to explain) but I'll see when it arrives.

That looks really nice too! I'm a bit worried about chewing out of wooden cages/the rodipet one.. We'll see! [emoji38]

Will do, we've gone for the 120cm long one and the hemp mat for inside it, and a few rodipet accessories [emoji38] I really love their stuff tbh. Going to put all his current cage stuff and some new things in when it arrives, he seems very attached to a little blue house [emoji7] I'll let you know what I think of it. But you're right there's not that many great options available for hamsters imo. I'm sad Michaels managed to crack this one's plastic base as Idk where you can even get cages in this size, like this one anymore tbh! Ah well, I've always wanted to try the rodipet one, so now's my chance [emoji38] looks easy to construct at least!

Plastic is hard to glue, yet a piece of gorilla tape-stronger than duct tape-on outside of cage may contain crack.

Can you still get cages from amazon de? I have a great one from there called the borneo xl. It is 115 x 54 and is currently full of mice (4).

Walter looks lovely.

I currently have a fluffy syrian hamster, Tarak and a little agouti robo, Rafferty.

Can you still get cages from amazon de? I have a great one from there called the borneo xl. It is 115 x 54 and is currently full of mice (4).

Walter looks lovely.

I currently have a fluffy syrian hamster, Tarak and a little agouti robo, Rafferty.

Probably, I haven't seen any on there tho, can't see your one unfortunately.

They sound so cute [emoji7]

Plastic is hard to glue, yet a piece of gorilla tape-stronger than duct tape-on outside of cage may contain crack.
The crack is small and hasn't gone all the way through, but it's on the inside unfortunately, so he could potentially get at it (it's out of the way, where the metal meets the plastic, but I wouldn't put it past him [emoji38])

Walter is a cool name.

Shame about the cage but the top was getting out of shape. Thankfully he never tried to escape. Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2 am I went into the hallway and found Sweetie wandering around.:shock:. James had put her back about an hour earlier after a run in her ball and not shut the side door. She is a good girl and let me pick her up. I do wonder what she got up to for an hour, I suspect she spent some time with the bunnies. Bing loves the hamsters.

That is the best photo.:love:

Walter is a cool name.

Shame about the cage but the top was getting out of shape. Thankfully he never tried to escape. Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2 am I went into the hallway and found Sweetie wandering around.:shock:. James had put her back about an hour earlier after a run in her ball and not shut the side door. She is a good girl and let me pick her up. I do wonder what she got up to for an hour, I suspect she spent some time with the bunnies. Bing loves the hamsters.

That is the best photo.:love:

Yea Michael said he'd managed to get it all to fit, but when I looked there was a small crack in the plastic where it meets the metal, I assume the metal was putting too much force on the plastic or something.

Was he always on his wheel when he was with you? He is always on that light blue and white wheel... Like always! He spends every waking moment running [emoji38]

Awh bless her [emoji7]

Last edited:
Yea, we had two skyline tanks before, don't seem to be able to get them now easily, especially not the larger ones.

We still have a couple of those water bottle towers too! I really like them, but they've stopped selling that one.. Not sure why, but they have a new one.. Which I ordered... [emoji38] I'm a little unsure because I'm worried if it fell over (if you look on their website I'm sure you'll see what I mean, it's hard to explain) but I'll see when it arrives.

That looks really nice too! I'm a bit worried about chewing out of wooden cages/the rodipet one.. We'll see! [emoji38]

yeah my worry is chewing out too!! I mean they can chew out of plastic but wood just feels much riskier ?? I guess because we give them wooden chews etc so who's so stay that they wouldn't think the cage is one huge chew or something... :lol:

Yea Michael said he'd managed to get it all to fit, but when I looked there was a small crack in the plastic where it meets the metal, I assume the metal was putting too much force on the plastic or something.

Was he always on his wheel when he was with you? He is always on that light blue and white wheel... Like always! He spends every waking moment running [emoji38]

Awh bless her [emoji7]

I think robos are addicted to wheels honestly. my robo spent every waking minute on his wheel, I swear. any time he'd be awake its like "yup Robbies on the wheel again". I think he managed to break one eventually from over use :lol:

Awh bless her [emoji7]

Before the blue and white one he had the same make but slightly bigger without a stand. It had to be fitted between the bars but was a bit stiff. Two days after I put the blue one in he was on it all the time. I could hear it banging all night.:lol:. Sometimes it would fill with his bedding and he was still running on it.:lol:. Sometimes it would fall over if on top of his bedding and he would be running around it. If you put it on the bottom of the cage floor then you can hear it banging. He doesn't care, he wants to be on it all the time. I have found boys are more obsessed with wheels than girls.

Before the blue and white one he had the same make but slightly bigger without a stand. It had to be fitted between the bars but was a bit stiff. Two days after I put the blue one in he was on it all the time. I could hear it banging all night.[emoji38]. Sometimes it would fill with his bedding and he was still running on it.[emoji38]. Sometimes it would fall over if on top of his bedding and he would be running around it. If you put it on the bottom of the cage floor then you can hear it banging. He doesn't care, he wants to be on it all the time. I have found boys are more obsessed with wheels than girls.

Yea the wheel keeps hitting the back of the cage so I could hear him all night [emoji38] I'll fix it later, but I didn't want to disturb him, so we've left him completely alone, but I can't have another night of "bang bang bang" over and over [emoji38][emoji38] he's so sweet a few times when I was watching him he came over to the edge of the cage and stuck his head up over the plastic bit to say hi [emoji7] so cute!

yeah my worry is chewing out too!! I mean they can chew out of plastic but wood just feels much riskier ?? I guess because we give them wooden chews etc so who's so stay that they wouldn't think the cage is one huge chew or something... [emoji38]
Yea it's no different really, but feels worse in my head [emoji38] ideally I'd like completely glass tanks tbh [emoji38]

I think robos are addicted to wheels honestly. my robo spent every waking minute on his wheel, I swear. any time he'd be awake its like "yup Robbies on the wheel again". I think he managed to break one eventually from over use [emoji38]
Robos on wheels are the best because their body is still and their head moves around looking about, and then there's just a blur of legs underneath them like a cartoon [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea the wheel keeps hitting the back of the cage so I could hear him all night [emoji38] I'll fix it later, but I didn't want to disturb him, so we've left him completely alone, but I can't have another night of "bang bang bang" over and over [emoji38][emoji38] he's so sweet a few times when I was watching him he came over to the edge of the cage and stuck his head up over the plastic bit to say hi [emoji7] so cute!

He is the friendliest robo I have met, he is interested in people. I have caught him staring at me from a corner.:lol:

The banging can drive you mad, that's why I put it more in the middle of the cage but somehow it fills with his bedding or falls over. You could see what it's like without the stand but it might still bang against the bars.

So funny how fast his legs are, you can't see them at all is like the road runner.:lol:

He is the friendliest robo I have met, he is interested in people. I have caught him staring at me from a corner.[emoji38]

The banging can drive you mad, that's why I put it more in the middle of the cage but somehow it fills with his bedding or falls over. You could see what it's like without the stand but it might still bang against the bars.

So funny how fast his legs are, you can't see them at all is like the road runner.[emoji38]

Did you try handling him at all? Does he bite? I'm not a huge fan of holding hamsters, Gus was the exception there, but I used to pass treats to the dwarf hams and they'd take them and not take a finger off, just wondering what he's like in that respect [emoji38]

He does seem very interested in people [emoji7] he woke Evelyn up earlier, running in his wheel, so I'll have to readjust its position [emoji38]

We've settled on the name Walter for him now for sure :D

Back