• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny owner and need some advice

AussieDana

New Kit
Hi there,

I've just picked up my new bunnies today (rescue rabbits) and have a couple of questions regarding their behaviour, I figured this was probably the best place to ask :wave: Jake and Bella (and their sister Tilly) were found at 3wks of age in a cage with chickens at a stockfeed seller. They are now apparently 6wks old but I'm not 100% sure. They have been handled but are still quite skittish and run away from you if they think you're going to catch them. They've spent 7hrs this afternoon just exploring the house (they'll be house bunnies most of the time) and have been running around and doing little jumps in the air (is that called a 'binky'?). They happily come up and sniff me if I'm sitting quietly on the floor but run as soon as they think I might pick them up :lol:

I've offered lucerne hay and rabbit pellets and they devour the lucerne hay. Bella has had a few slices of carrot but Jake wasn't interested in that treat. Is it too soon to be offering other vegies?

I've got a litter tray set up and have been putting all of their poo (and there has been lots of that!) in it as well as a couple of tissues soaked in their urine but they have only hopped in and back out again. The rescuers said they're still a bit too young to grasp the concept of litter training, is that correct?

I'd like them to become more friendly and not mind sitting on my lap etc so should I just keep handling them each day? Is there a time limit on how long I should handle them for at a time?

Sorry for all of the questions, hopefully I'll become a great bunny owner like so many here :love:

Before I forget, here are some pics :D

Jake 3 wks
Darcyrabbit.jpg

Bella 3wks
suzierabbit.jpg

Jake 6wks
christmas09085-2.jpg

Bella 6wks
christmas09089-1.jpg

With their sister, Tilly, who has gone to live with a friend (she's long haired but clipped at the moment)

christmas09085-1.jpg

there cute,it will take time to litter train them.put some poo in their tray and keep putting them in it.they dont look 6 weeks to me they look older.

You are going to need more than one litter trays. Place them where the bunnies do their 'business'. What litter do you use? I use Megazorb (paper based litter) with plenty of hay on top (so they can eat while doing their business). Good luck!:wave:

ETA: As far as handling is concerned, go down to their level (i.e. sit on the floor) and wait for them to come to you. Offer them treats. Daily handling is a good idea.
Regarding vegetables, I'm not sure at what age you can start giving them, however, do it gradually. Give them very small quantities at first. Take a look at this leaflet: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Last edited:
.they dont look 6 weeks to me they look older.

That's what I thought, now I'm not sure when to get their first vax etc :?

I'm in Australia and not sure if we have Megazorb. I've got newspaper on the bottom, then shredded newspaper and hay at one end for them to chew on.

So should I be picking them up or will this stress them further?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

They are so gorgeous!!! :love: And it's lovely that they will have a great home with you :D

I think you're doing all the right things so far (not that I'm a expert) but I would suggest not introducing any more veg for at least a few days. As far as handling is concerned, as you're sitting on the floor with them and stroking them when they come to you, they will learn to associate you with nice things and as time goes on, be more comfortable with having their feet off the floor! ;) As they'll be house bunnies mostly, I'd just let them get on with it. You soon won't be able to get them off your lap when you're trying to relax on the sofa!!! ;) :lol: :lol:

I have to agree, they do look older than 6 weeks!

They are beautiful, have lots of fun with them :D

So should I be picking them up or will this stress them further?

As others said, rabbits prefer to keep their feet on the ground. Being picked up by a human is for them equivalent to being picked up by a bird of prey.
However, you are supposed to check their bottoms at least once a day, incase they are stained with poo. (Dirty bottoms attract flies.) The other thing to check for is fly eggs (fly strike). Have a look here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf. Personally, I pick my rabbits up to check them underneath.:)

Back