• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny in hospital!!!!

Up date on Custard.

First conversation with the vet was at lunch time today he's been eating grass and drinking, seems a little brighter but his temperature is still high!:( The vet seems pleased that he is eating by his self and drinking but still not eating with the gusto he should! so they have decided to keep him in another 24hrs. They want to see more of an improvement before he goes anywhere. He told me he has a bacterial infection not sure where he said he had it, will ask more when i next speak to him so with that and the lack of weight on him he is a poorly bunny! :cry:

Second conversation with the vet went much better, She was pleased with custard he had been eating more this afternoon and producing some good poos:)She said he looked much livelier and his temperature was back to normal.:D:D:D I think fingers crossed we are over the worst!:p They are going to watch him over night and give me a call first thing after there rounds. So if he has a good night then maybe they will let me bring him home. Im sure they will advise me on all the other issues he has, like teeth, claws, he's really dirty ears and the huge amount of weight he needs to put on, but at the moment I'm so pleased he is on the mend.:p:love:

I've been waiting all day for news on Custard. Fingers crossed he will carry on improving. How terrible of the breeder to let him get into such a state. Some people are wicked and ignorant. Let's hope when he comes home and the weather improves he can go out in the sunshine to build up some vitamin D. Let's hope he builds up some strength. Thank you for taking him in. Good luck and keep us posted.

That's a brilliant update, keep fighting Custard, then you can come to your lovely new home, and be a happy loved bun xxxx

Just seen this .... So glad you got him out of that hell hole .... poor little mite :(:(
Glad to see a positive update..... and fingers crossed he can come home to you tomorrow, where he can begin a new life xx

update.

I had to have Custard put to sleep this afternoon! He deteriorated over night, struggled to breath, so after a lot of oxygen, inhalers and all the drugs they gave him he lost the fight! They xrayed his lungs which were not in a good way, he had phenumonia. I'm so sad, not been able to stop crying this afternoon, he was such a sweetheart and i wish that i could have had more time with him. He's going to be cremated and scattered in my garden. Thank you for all your well wishes.

I'm so very sorry. What a sad life he must have had, bless him. You did your very best and couldn't have done any more. Thankyou for your kindness. I hope you find the strength to do something about the breeder. RIP lovely Custard. Lots of restful vibes for you Bunny Boo xxx

I'm so sorry. It all sounded so promising too after your consultation with the vet yesterday. Poor little man. RIP Custard.
Well done for getting him away from the breeder in the first place Bunny Boo. I'm sorry you weren't able to get him home x

I'm am so sorry about this. Poor little chap. You did what you could for him at least you got him out of that place xxx

:cry:

I'm so sorry. You did your best for him though and he knew love in his last days.

Please do speak to the RSPCA when you feel strong enough. The breeder needs to be stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry, you gave him a fighting chance, and love. He was with people who valued him, I'm sure he would know that. Binky free little Custard xxxxxx

Poor little Custard. You did all you could to save him but for him it was too late. I am ferocily angry after the breeder who did not even bother to have him to the vet, this is cruauty to animals. He must close down his nasty business. RIP little Custard, and sleep well for ever

Back