• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny I'm suspecting is poorl

mooncake

New Kit
Hey all,

Me and my partner are new bunny owners to a beautiful grey mini lop called mooncake. We purchased him a week or so ago and have been trying to get to grips with owning a pet bunny (we've both never owned one prior), I've watched lots of youtube videos and have actually read this forum too. Today mooncake has been sneezing a lot and I've just noticed a wet patch on his nose :( I've done some research and I'm assuming its snuffles, have any of you dealt this before? Do any of you know how long it takes for it to develop? As we've been trying our best and cleaning and feeding him daily. We have both also took time off of work to ease mooncake in so I'm saddened to see him ill so soon on :( I've called the vet and hes going in for a check up tomorrow. My other question is how much it would cost if he does have sniffles? We dont care too much about the money but it would be good to know as being new bunny owners the cost of everything has been a lot.

Thank you if any of you respond, it would be a great help :)

Welcome to the world of bunnies!

I’d recommend going to a rabbit savvy vet if you can, as this really makes a difference. Is your bunny also neutered and vaccinated? Once he’s settled it may also be good to think about getting a partner as rabbits are sociable creatures.

Rabbit bills can vary greatly, and it’s hard to put a number on it. As you’re probably aware over a lifetime they do cost a lot.

What are you using in his litter tray? Saw dust is very problematic and shouldn’t be used

Last edited:
Hey all,

Me and my partner are new bunny owners to a beautiful grey mini lop called mooncake. We purchased him a week or so ago and have been trying to get to grips with owning a pet bunny (we've both never owned one prior), I've watched lots of youtube videos and have actually read this forum too. Today mooncake has been sneezing a lot and I've just noticed a wet patch on his nose :( I've done some research and I'm assuming its snuffles, have any of you dealt this before? Do any of you know how long it takes for it to develop? As we've been trying our best and cleaning and feeding him daily. We have both also took time off of work to ease mooncake in so I'm saddened to see him ill so soon on :( I've called the vet and hes going in for a check up tomorrow. My other question is how much it would cost if he does have sniffles? We dont care too much about the money but it would be good to know as being new bunny owners the cost of everything has been a lot.

Thank you if any of you respond, it would be a great help :)

Welcome to RU Mooncake . Don't blame yourself, you've done the right thing noticing, asking for help & most importantly booking a vet app. Moving home is very stressful to many rabbits - is he young? The stress can activate latent infection such as pasturella (not your fault). I've had a couple of bunnies with this - one cleared up completely on antibiotics (he had a little reoccurence before he died - of something else) , my other bun was a more complex case. I'm not sure how quickly it comes on .

At the vets I expect you will be charge a consult fee, and for drugs (likely antibiotics & metacam- the latter being anti-inflammatory pain relief). Your vet might go down the diagnostics route which would up the fees but I'd say that is not inevitable at this time (my vets are bunny savvy & they wouldn't go straight in for diagnostics). Prices vary hugely in the UK (if thats where you are) depending on location & practice. I'd be reluctant to say as it wouldn't be reliable info or necessarily applicable to Mooncake.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on

PS avoid wood shavings or sawdust - these can cause problems

When you go to the Vet as well as obtaining any appropriate treatment for the respiratory tract infection, if he has one, you also need to discuss getting him vaccinated. Whilst he won’t be able to be vaccinated if he has an infection it is essential that he is done ASAP once he has become asymptomatic. Personally I would keep him indoors until he is fully vaccinated. Whilst even indoor Rabbits need vaccinations they are at slightly less risk of contracting Myxomatosis or RHD than are outdoor Rabbits.

There is a lot of information about everything relating to the care of Domestic Rabbits here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Back