• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New at this...when is the right time to get a second rabbit?

Eleni

New Kit
Hi all,

2 months ago I got my first rabbit, Benjamin. After some initial 'adjustments' (teaching him not to bite, litter training and after the 3rd set of destroyed headphones, me simply learning NOT to leave them lying around!!) I really couldn't be happier with him... he's been extremely affectionate since day one, jumps on me for kisses and cuddles all the time, and can sit on me for hours on end licking my face!

He's loose in my flat (which is fully proofed!) when I'm home, and when I'm not he's free just in one room, as he has a tendancy to pee on couches and beds when unsupervised! He comes when called and seems to be extremely healthy (I'm no expert but his coat is beautiful, he's spotlessly clean and his poop is perfect!)

On weekends, we drive to another town where my parents live, and he runs free in our patio, a safe semi-outdoor roomsize area, where we can watch him through glass doors from our living room or kitchen! He loves the change of scenery and the chance to explore somewhere different that's also familiar to him. My parents have cats and dogs, and he adores all of them, he is so friendly and sociable!

My only real problem is that I do work all day, leaving him alone for a good 8 hours most days. Which is why I've decided I'd really like to get a second rabbit to keep him company when I'm not there, but also because obviously nothing can substitute the social bond of his own species!

I'd like to get a girl, and have found a baby that I really want to adopt (if anyone is thinking of mentioning a rescue centre, we don't have them in cyprus, or I'd definitely be taking that route!) but I'm worried about them mating.

I don't want to neuter Benji before he's 6 months (he's 3 months now)... but is it cutting it close if I get a 5 week old girl now? And what do I need to know about neutering? Is it risky with rabbits? Will I need to do the girl as well?

But...if I wait, will it be harder for them to bond?

My real question is - when is the right time to get a second rabbit??

Advice would be great!!!:D

Thanks,
Eleni

You do need to neuter and spey them both really. Although just neutering him will prevent babies, she will still have hormonal behaviour, plus a high chance of getting uterine cancer. From what I've read it's best to keep them separate until both are neutered and bond then. Ours were neuthered at around 4 months.

Your rabbit sounds great - it sounds like he has really bonded with you, whereas ours don't go much for cuddling.

Its highly recommended to get them both neutered before bonding - dont try them beforehand! If you want to get the girl- why not house them side by side until they are both old enough to be done - thats what I did and because they spent 3/4 months side by side they bonded really well!! just make sure they cant nip each other through bars etc..

It isnt really a complicated operation - boys tend to bounce back quickly - girls spays are more intricate and can take a few days to recover fully..

good luck

thanks guys... I will do both of them in that case, but I can't house them next to each other as I never close Benji's cage! He's always free either in one room or the whole flat, so it would have to be a case of keeping her in a bathroom or something, but I would hate that as I wouldnt be able to give her the attention I've given Benji... that's my dilemma - I dont have time for both unless they're kept together.

Would it be okay to neuter Benji and THEN get a baby girl, and spay her when she's 6 months?

I'd recommend that you spay both Benji and the new girl, but I'd definitely wait till at least a month after Benji has been neutered before introducing a girl.
I know Ali had a neutered boy and an unspayed girl til she got spayed last week.

(On a side note, I'm so jealous of you living in Cyprus)

Thanks angelmouse, I think that is what I will do... just a shame Benji will have to wait another 4 months before he can have a friend! :(

on the sidenote: It is pretty awesome living in Cyprus, especially now it's finally getting hot enough to hit the beaches.:p I'm just hoping Benji will cope once it goes past 40 degrees...I might have to get him a little mini-swimming pool to cool off in!

another sidenote: your bunnies are gorgeous! :)

Back