• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New adoptions and not sure when to see a vet

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello,

Newby here!

I’m just gonna go straight to the point if that’s okay. So I rescued two bunnies over a week ago and they are both really anxious, easily scared and therefore can become easily stressed. This morning I noticed that one of them had some mashed up poop on the rug. Honestly I’m not sure if it’s from cecotropes or from regular old poop. They seemed pretty solid in a way just not the regular golden nuggets I’m used to. Anyway...there has been no more of them, both of them have been going normally. They both ran for pellets this morning, treats, veggies...watched them do zoomies. They’ve followed their routine. I’ve not really seen any other signs of illness other than that poop...

So I’m wondering if maybe it could have happened because they got a bit of a fright that affected their digestion?

I don’t want to cause them any stress by taking them to the vet but I’m pushed towards taking them just to be sure...I just worry the stress will make them worse if the incident was because of stress in the first place...

It could be stress from moving, a different diet, or just a one-off. How old are they and are they eating lots of hay? I would just keep an eye on them and give them lots of time to settle in.

If they are not vaccinated, I would get them booked in at the vet anyway. Then they will get a checkover as well, to put your mind at ease.

If they are not vaccinated, I would get them booked in at the vet anyway. Then they will get a checkover as well, to put your mind at ease.

They are vaccinated. They are on a pet plan so will be checked on and given regular up-to-date prevention treatments. I do plan to take them in for a check over anyway but they were monitored regularly at the rescue based in their documents so I thought letting them settle in might be high priority seeing as they’ve been healthy so far! :)

It could be stress from moving, a different diet, or just a one-off. How old are they and are they eating lots of hay? I would just keep an eye on them and give them lots of time to settle in.

Admittedly, where they came from didn’t give me a list of what they have eaten in the past beyond what they don’t like. One of them is a big hay muncher, the other...it’s debatable so I’m mixing in forage sometimes or oat hay to get her munching. I’d prefer it if they drank more though, they have a bottle and a bowl and I’ve added an additional bowl today next to a bowl of hay.

They have access to unlimited hay too, they both are mostly litter trained now.

Also they both are around 1 year old.

I’m thinking it could be a settling in issue and new foods. They are much more comfortable but definitely still nervous with people around them. When I’m not in the room I can see them do zoomies around the room.

It sounds like they are just settling in, and you are doing all the right things. They may not have had much contact with people before. Most rabbits prefer the company of other rabbits to people anyway.

Some rabbits don't seem to drink much, and it also depends on what they are eating. Grass and fresh veg have a higher water content than hay, for example. As long as they have access to fresh water at all times, they shoud be fine. They do drink more from bowls than bottles as it is an easier and more natural action, but again, it depends what they have been used to.

Are they neutered?
Pics???

It sounds like they are just settling in, and you are doing all the right things. They may not have had much contact with people before. Most rabbits prefer the company of other rabbits to people anyway.

Some rabbits don't seem to drink much, and it also depends on what they are eating. Grass and fresh veg have a higher water content than hay, for example. As long as they have access to fresh water at all times, they shoud be fine. They do drink more from bowls than bottles as it is an easier and more natural action, but again, it depends what they have been used to.

Are they neutered?
Pics???

They are neutered, I wouldn’t have it any other way and it’s standard practice at the rescue.

As for the water, they have a bottle and bowls to choose from. I’m tempted to try putting a few drops of unsweetened juice into the water to get them drinking more however, I currently just leave their washed veggies a little on the watery side to give them extra hydration.

I’m on my mobile so not sure how to add a photo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back