• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering at 6 months??

Halcyon

New Kit
My vet has said to neuter my boys at 6 months but online it says they can be done from 16 weeks? Anyone with experience getting brothers done at 6 months, will this be okay? I don’t want them to fight. My vet said as they’re brothers it should be fine. I’m also concerned about how much pellets to feed them. The vet says to go by what the guidance on package says and it says unlimited for babies. Is this right? They get unlimited hay too obviously but I don’t want them to get skinny

My vet has said to neuter my boys at 6 months but online it says they can be done from 16 weeks? Anyone with experience getting brothers done at 6 months, will this be okay? I don’t want them to fight. My vet said as they’re brothers it should be fine. I’m also concerned about how much pellets to feed them. The vet says to go by what the guidance on package says and it says unlimited for babies. Is this right? They get unlimited hay too obviously but I don’t want them to get skinny
Gosh I'd find a new vet, none of that advice is good 😬

Have you got any rabbit savvy ones near you?

For pellets maybe do like egg cup amount absolute max.

I'd get them neutered as soon as possible to avoid their bond breaking down too.

I would also be looking for a different vet. Have a look at this information https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/

You could also give your general location and ask on this forum if anyone could recommend their vet for you.

IM has posted a link to information regarding neutering.

You also asked about quantity of pellets. The guidance on the outside of packets is always in excess of what is regarded as the recommended healthy amount. If you feed too many pellets, there is a danger they will fill up on pellets and not eat enough hay, which is important for their digestion and teeth. How old are your boys? As Graciee said, you should be aiming for roughly an eggcupful of pellets per bunny per day. But if they are still babies I would feed bit more than that, but would not give them unlimited amounts.

It was my partner who took them for their vaccinations and a list of questions from me so I couldn’t question what they said but I think my partner did question about them fighting if they’re not done soon and they said it can happen but not as likely with brothers which I know is rubbish. Unfortunately I don’t drive so it’s my only option 😭 My partner drives but he works away a lot. I may have to call back and question if I can get it done early, is 16 weeks fine for boys to be done? Currently they are 10 weeks and I give them an egg cup of pellets a day but I may up it slightly as they’re so tiny and I know that’s recommended allowance for adults,

It was my partner who took them for their vaccinations and a list of questions from me so I couldn’t question what they said but I think my partner did question about them fighting if they’re not done soon and they said it can happen but not as likely with brothers which I know is rubbish. Unfortunately I don’t drive so it’s my only option 😭 My partner drives but he works away a lot. I may have to call back and question if I can get it done early, is 16 weeks fine for boys to be done? Currently they are 10 weeks and I give them an egg cup of pellets a day but I may up it slightly as they’re so tiny and I know that’s recommended allowance for adults,
They can be castrated as soon as their testicles descend as long as they weigh at least 1kg. Testicles usually drop by 14 weeks.

Are you 100% certain you have two Bucks?

I'm sorry you've got a difficult situation regarding transport. I would try to get them neutered as soon as they are physically ready. Hopefully, your vet will agree with this. Even though they are brothers, it is very likely that they will become aggressive towards each other once puberty hits and so I would be very observant re this. If they get to the stage when they actually fight, it will be very difficult to bond them again.

I'm sorry you've got a difficult situation regarding transport. I would try to get them neutered as soon as they are physically ready. Hopefully, your vet will agree with this. Even though they are brothers, it is very likely that they will become aggressive towards each other once puberty hits and so I would be very observant re this. If they get to the stage when they actually fight, it will be very difficult to bond them again.
This is my worry. I’ll phone back and see if I can get them checked again at 16 weeks and booked in hopefully. Thanks for your advice

Back