• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland dwarf x dutch looks like?

Floofbunny

Young Bun
Hi,

I would like to know what an adult Netherland dwarf x dutch looks like.

Anyone with one?
Could you show me a pic?

How big do they get?

The dad is a false dwarf, so no dwarf genes involved.

It was an accidental litter. My cousin took them out together while I was with my nan. They stopped her too late.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anyone with one?
Could you show me a pic?

How big do they get?

The dwarf gene is what give ND's their flat face, short legs, compact bodies, so more than their small size. Even if both parents are dwarfs, the offspring must get a dwarf gene from each parent to be a true dwarf, so that would not be possible if the ND was crossed with a purebred dutch who would not have any copies of the dwarf gene.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anyone with one?
Could you show me a pic?

How big do they get?

Not sure if you are planning to breed the cross but it really is not a good idea. You are likely to create a lot of problems. If your question is just random curiosity then ignore my post :)

Not sure if you are planning to breed the cross but it really is not a good idea. You are likely to create a lot of problems. If your question is just random curiosity then ignore my post :)

I responded to your post thinking you were just curious, yet agree with Jane to not breed your bunnies. Though I now realize you posted several genetics questions in the past, so I hope I was not incorrect that you are just curious.

Caution disturbing content.

There are already too many breeders and the ones attempting to create designer bunnies will cull offspring not up to their standards.

Last edited:
The dwarf gene is what give ND's their flat face, short legs, compact bodies, so more than their small size. Even if both parents are dwarfs, the offspring must get a dwarf gene from each parent to be a true dwarf, so that would not be possible if the ND was crossed with a purebred dutch who would not have any copies of the dwarf gene.

Dwarf gene is lethal. Double dwarf is a peanut.
True dwarf is one gene, false dwarf no gene

The dad is a false dwarf.

Dwarf gene is lethal. Double dwarf is a peanut.
True dwarf is one gene, false dwarf no gene

The dad is a false dwarf.
You are correct that I misspoke, and they only need one dwarf gene to be a true dwarf.
I see you had an accidental litter. Is this from the buck you found out was not neutered as you were originally told?

Last edited:
He was supposed to be neutered- turns out he wasnt

This is not the first time someone on the forum had this happen. I wish vets could mark/chip neutered animals so this could not happen. How many babies did she have? I hope your doe is doing well and the babies all find loving homes.

Ethical breeding of dwarf bunnies would be only having one parent with a dwarf gene. But of course this means only 25% of the litter will be dwarves, but 0% double dwarves (peanuts).
This is why you see so many Netherland dwarf looking bunnies but they are bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ethical breeding of dwarf bunnies would be only having one parent with a dwarf gene. But of course this means only 25% of the litter will be dwarves, but 0% double dwarves (peanuts).
This is why you see so many Netherland dwarf looking bunnies but they are bigger.

Really? I got my bunny as a Holland dwarf. I wonder if he really is a Dutch dwarf? His weight is 1.8 kg(3lb) :shock:

Really? I got my bunny as a Holland dwarf. I wonder if he really is a Dutch dwarf? His weight is 1.8 kg(3lb) :shock:

I’m sure you have what was sold to you, but maybe not carrying the actual dwarf gene. I have a tiny dwarf lion head myself, she weighs 1kg! [emoji38]

I’m sure you have what was sold to you, but maybe not carrying the actual dwarf gene. I have a tiny dwarf lion head myself, she weighs 1kg! [emoji38]

Oh my :shock: I understand

Back