• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neo's Dental on 28th April

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
I'm really nervous!!! I know that it's not 100% safe, and after Skye I'm panicking...

Not helping, is the fact that he's shoved his head into his hay this eve and is munching away!!! Other than his dribble patch he seems fine!!! Why are rabbits so awkward :(

Any spare vibes you may have, please point them this way :wave:

I'm really nervous!!! I know that it's not 100% safe, and after Skye I'm panicking...

Not helping, is the fact that he's shoved his head into his hay this eve and is munching away!!! Other than his dribble patch he seems fine!!! Why are rabbits so awkward :(

Any spare vibes you may have, please point them this way :wave:

It's understandablw that you feel anxious about Neo's treatment. Sending lots of vibes for him and some calming vibes for you !!

Thank you both, ahh so nervous :(

I've DEMANDED that the vet MUST be the rabbit lady who is also very interested in teeth.
For Skye, she was supposed to do the op, and some bloke buggered his way in and maybe if he hadn't she'd still be alive :(

So very worried!!! I'm probably going to have to shove loads of dandelion leaves, grass and rose leaves down his throat Monday eve. as he has to be there before 8.30 on Tues.

:(

Last edited:
I'm worried he won't have enough food in his tum for the op on Tues.

He will eat cardboard (until I take it away), herbs, pellets and fresh grass.
I don't really see him eating hay and I'm not sure if this is because he's finding it painful to grind the hay in the figure 8 position or if its because he's being picky.

I'm wondering if its a good idea to get them to feed some critical care before the surgery to 'top him up'.

God I'm so nervous!!!

I don't really see him eating hay and I'm not sure if this is because he's finding it painful to grind the hay in the figure 8 position or if its because he's being picky.

I'm wondering if its a good idea to get them to feed some critical care before the surgery to 'top him up'.

God I'm so nervous!!!

If he is eating pellets, fresh grass and herbs in reasonable amounts I doubt he will need any top up feeds. The Vet will do a pre-op check and he/she should be able to feel if he has food in his stomach and fecal pellets in his intestines. Keep an eye on his poo output between now and Tuesday as that will be a good indicator as to how his gut motility is doing.

God I'm so nervous!!!

I would offer him a good selection of everything the night before and first thing in the morning. Take all the cardboard away and just give some grass, fresh herbs, forage if you have some, and his usual food. I tend to give a few extra pellets the morning any of mine go in for a GA, just to 'top them up'.

I can understand you're nervous and certainly make sure you get the vet you are expecting (and maybe tell them it is not to be done if not by her). The likelihood is though that everything will be absolutely OK and he will be fine. No one can blame you for worrying though.

Ok so he woke up and has eaten, drank, pood and peed. He's home now which is good!

Blood tests...
GLU 6.84 mmol/L
UREA 4.1 mmol/L
CREA 81
BUN/CREA 12
TP 72 g/L
ALB 37 g/L
GLOB 35 g/L
ALB/GLOB 1.1
ALT 35 U/L
ALKP 21 U/L

Didn't get a chance to speak to the vet as I got to the practice really late this eve and she had gone home.

She left some notes which didn't make much sense to me, so hoped someone could give some input?

RE: GLOB -
"Composed from multiple fractions - Immune system/inflammation.
Possible stress/acute tissue injury (post injection/dental/blood sampling).
haemdysis of sample (rupture of red blood cells)"

RE: ALKP -
"Isoenzyme produced by a range of tissues - liver/bone.
No concern with decreased value".

She's off until Thurs and dint want to speak with other vets so just wanted to know opinions on the results?

glad dental went ok, mabel went in for vaccinations on Monday ended up cancelling that and having dental, im not sure about blood results, jane will know more about the readings, hopefully its stress realted

Ok so he woke up and has eaten, drank, pood and peed. He's home now which is good!

Blood tests...
GLU 6.84 mmol/L
UREA 4.1 mmol/L
CREA 81
BUN/CREA 12
TP 72 g/L
ALB 37 g/L
GLOB 35 g/L
ALB/GLOB 1.1
ALT 35 U/L
ALKP 21 U/L

Didn't get a chance to speak to the vet as I got to the practice really late this eve and she had gone home.

She left some notes which didn't make much sense to me, so hoped someone could give some input?

RE: GLOB -
"Composed from multiple fractions - Immune system/inflammation.
Possible stress/acute tissue injury (post injection/dental/blood sampling).
haemdysis of sample (rupture of red blood cells)"

RE: ALKP -
"Isoenzyme produced by a range of tissues - liver/bone.
No concern with decreased value".

She's off until Thurs and dint want to speak with other vets so just wanted to know opinions on the results?

Glad to hear that she's making a good recovery. I would call the Surgery tomorrow, any Vet will be able to run through the blood test results with you. From my unqualified interpretation it looks like the slightly elevated Globulin level may be due some sort of inflammation, stress or soft tissue injury. 'Haemolysis means that the red blood cells in the sample were 'damaged' during sampling which could also be a contributory factor.

According to the levels I have here (courtesy of Molly Varga) the other supposed slight abnormality, the low ALKP, is not actually low at all. But even if it was it appears not to be of any significance.

But please remember, my interpretation of the results is not a qualified one and really needs to be taken with a pinch of salt !! Having a chat with a Vet tomorrow will make things clearer for you. Then you can post on here telling me I am talking a load of rubbish !!

glad dental went ok, mabel went in for vaccinations on Monday ended up cancelling that and having dental, im not sure about blood results, jane will know more about the readings, hopefully its stress realted

Thanks!!! Aww bless, how was she? xx

Glad to hear that she's making a good recovery. I would call the Surgery tomorrow, any Vet will be able to run through the blood test results with you. From my unqualified interpretation it looks like the slightly elevated Globulin level may be due some sort of inflammation, stress or soft tissue injury. 'Haemolysis means that the red blood cells in the sample were 'damaged' during sampling which could also be a contributory factor.

According to the levels I have here (courtesy of Molly Varga) the other supposed slight abnormality, the low ALKP, is not actually low at all. But even if it was it appears not to be of any significance.

But please remember, my interpretation of the results is not a qualified one and really needs to be taken with a pinch of salt !! Having a chat with a Vet tomorrow will make things clearer for you. Then you can post on here telling me I am talking a load of rubbish !!

Thanks Jane, I will do after thinking about it!

I'm wondering if we've caused him stress then and whether the stress is seen very quickly in bloods (i.e, would the stress from the drive at 8am affect bloods at say 10am?) otherwise I'm a bit concerned if there's been inflammation or injury!!! :?

I'll report back with that the vet says and I'll also chase up my normal vet to ensure what the others had to say was actually accurate as she is 'my' vet now... poor woman :lol:

I'm wondering if we've caused him stress then and whether the stress is seen very quickly in bloods (i.e, would the stress from the drive at 8am affect bloods at say 10am?) otherwise I'm a bit concerned if there's been inflammation or injury!!! :?

I'll report back with that the vet says and I'll also chase up my normal vet to ensure what the others had to say was actually accurate as she is 'my' vet now... poor woman :lol:

Stress could be due to just being at the Vets !! Add a car journey to that and that's a double dose of stress. Inflammation could be from dental issues :) My unqualified opinion again of course !

It's much better to go through his blood tests with a qualified vet. Sometimes even the vet nurses don't attempt an explanation!

Stress causes a lot of physical responses in buns, as of course does stress in humans. You only have to look at 'white coat syndrome' and raised blood pressure - and we know what's going on, they don't!

I look forward to more news later :D In the meantime, I'm glad it all went well!

Only just seen this. Glad he has got through his dental ok. Mottle liked to eat brambles whilst he was recovering from his dental. Hope your vet can explain those results for you. - Your rabbit savy vet. Well done for insisting.

So I didn't get to speak to my vet about the bloods as she's been off, however she kindly got back to me about upping the Metacam a little as he's not eating his pellets yet and picking at hay.

All he eats quickly is grass and dandelion leaves along with some herbs and so I think he may still have pain in his jaw due to muscles or just the grinding.

He is currently on 0.47 Metacam once a day and 0.31 Zantac twice a day. I've been told to up to 0.62 of Metacam for a day or two to see how he fares.

My question is, should I give Metacam twice a day of 0.31 along with the Zantac for better pain management or does it not make any difference to giving it in one go?

So I didn't get to speak to my vet about the bloods as she's been off, however she kindly got back to me about upping the Metacam a little as he's not eating his pellets yet and picking at hay.

All he eats quickly is grass and dandelion leaves along with some herbs and so I think he may still have pain in his jaw due to muscles or just the grinding.

He is currently on 0.47 Metacam once a day and 0.31 Zantac twice a day. I've been told to up to 0.62 of Metacam for a day or two to see how he fares.

My question is, should I give Metacam twice a day of 0.31 along with the Zantac for better pain management or does it not make any difference to giving it in one go?

I would do as your vet recommends. There are various schools of thought about it, dependent on what condition it's used for. Have you asked whether it would be more efficacious twice a day?

My Vet often suggests giving 12 hourly doses of Metacam- ref : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

But you do need to check with your Vet as she may have her reasons for wanting to give once daily doses

She didn't specify, she was happy for me to give him the 0.15 difference this evening so I'm going to assume she wouldn't have an issue with twice a day?

She didn't specify, she was happy for me to give him the 0.15 difference this evening so I'm going to assume she wouldn't have an issue with twice a day?

Always best to clarify with the Vet treating your Rabbit. Metacam is a POM and only a Vet/VN-SQP can advise re dose rates :)

Back