• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need your opinion on rabbit litter tray

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
On some part of my house, I want to install this litter tray

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004963679349.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.46e338da0Ce78i&mp=1

the size is surprisingly small at (Approx.): 25x19.5x3cm/9.84x7.68x1.18in

so my question is, how can it work? Wouldn't the rabbit kick or just move the tray? it's so small and light. IN other words, wouldn't the tray be too tiny to be useful?

Now I can put a thin piece of rock inside to increase the weight.

But I wonder if anyone has use a litter tray that small

It is on the small side. I don't think my cats would be that impressed with it, or use it without missing the edges. They have had a similar system before but using washable clay granules. It didn't last long...

I wouldn't use a tray with a grid, or expect a rabbit to use one. Rabbits prefer a solid base with something absorbent, and maybe hay on top. Grids are always awkward to clean properly as well.

Why do you want to use it? A standard litter tray will work, and I assume you already have one.

alright, I'll get a bigger one. I don't use regular litter tray, as their urine soaked on the tray and it sits there. I use towel, they pee on the towel, and my washing machine wash the towel. But lately I have a bun that loves to chew out the fabrics on the towel. So I need an alternative soln. The grid is solid. It just has little holes on it.

Over here, you can see this bun loves to use it:

https://www.facebook.com/100070127970744/videos/897656928310891

They could still get a foot / nail stuck and panic. Not the best for a rabbit.

I agree, it's possible. But when my buns pull the cotton thread from the towel, there has been 1 or 2 mild GI stasis. And I have been using the towel idea for over 20 years

I only ever used a large shallow under bed storage box, old newspaper at the bottom (or absorbent litter) and hay on top. Not sure how stable the one in the picture would be.

I wouldn't use a towel because rabbits will chew and eat it or at least my rabbits would for sure.

I just use cheap Poundland litter trays. I double them up because there not very thick Lucky had split one of them. I line the bottom of them with newspaper with a tiny bit of the old hay sweepings. I sweep the floors every morning so it makes cleaning easy.

I wait for the litter trays to get full before I empty them and with the news paper at the bottom it helps when emptying the litter tray it comes out just like a cake lol but sometimes I have to use a scraper to get the rest out then I rinse the litter tray with very hot water and line it with news paper and repeat the process.

I might need to empty the litter trays more often in the summer months to avoid fly strike and possible smells that might upset neighbors. Right now they don't smell at all but things might be different during the summer months.

Last edited:
I wait for the litter trays to get full before I empty them and with the news paper at the bottom it helps when emptying the litter tray it comes out just like a cake lol but sometimes I have to use a scraper to get the rest out then I rinse the litter tray with very hot water and line it with news paper and repeat the process.

I might need to empty the litter trays more often in the summer months to avoid fly strike and possible smells that might upset neighbors. Right now they don't smell at all but things might be different during the summer months.

Litter trays really need to be spot-cleaned daily, and fully cleaned & disinfected as needed (at least weekly). Daily spot cleaning enables you to keep an eye on the rabbit's general health as you can spot changes in wee (colour, sludge, etc) and poo (size, texture, quantity, etc) and act faster if something changes. It also helps to maintain hygiene as some diseases are spread more easily in soiled living conditions, such as EC, which is passed in urine; coccidiosis, etc. Dirty litter trays also attract flies, which may spread rabbit diseases (RHD, Myxo) or cause flystrike. Plus there's the rabbit's feet to consider - constantly treading in old urine, etc really doesn't do them any good and can irritate other conditions like sore hocks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004882724079.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.135d38da7cvH36&mp=1

so I have revised the tray to this one, as the first one, I do agree is too small

I do however, like the idea of this grill design, as the poos drops to the bottom, and I can clean them at the end of the day. I bought a new bird cage 2 yr. ago, it has this very same grill design. It's fantastic. The birds can no longer get to the bottom and chew the magazine paper, and it's easy to clean, it save me at least 20 min. / day. So I am hoping for similar result w/ this new design from aliexpress on rabbit tray

Last edited:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004882724079.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.135d38da7cvH36&mp=1

so I have revised the tray to this one, as the first one, I do agree is too small

I do however, like the idea of this grill design, as the poos drops to the bottom, and I can clean them at the end of the day. I bought a new bird cage 2 yr. ago, it has this very same grill design. It's fantastic. The birds can no longer get to the bottom and chew the magazine paper, and it's easy to clean, it save me at least 20 min. / day. So I am hoping for similar result w/ this new design from aliexpress on rabbit tray

I'm pretty sure you asked us about those last year.

I just remember now. So you now know how goofy I am

I never have the money to buy 6 tray until today, as shipping is $177 for 6 big tray. I need 4 upstairs and 2 downstair , as they have invented more than 1 urine spot thru out the yr.

It works with birds, but rabbits could get an injury from them

Litter trays really need to be spot-cleaned daily, and fully cleaned & disinfected as needed (at least weekly). Daily spot cleaning enables you to keep an eye on the rabbit's general health as you can spot changes in wee (colour, sludge, etc) and poo (size, texture, quantity, etc) and act faster if something changes. It also helps to maintain hygiene as some diseases are spread more easily in soiled living conditions, such as EC, which is passed in urine; coccidiosis, etc. Dirty litter trays also attract flies, which may spread rabbit diseases (RHD, Myxo) or cause flystrike. Plus there's the rabbit's feet to consider - constantly treading in old urine, etc really doesn't do them any good and can irritate other conditions like sore hocks.

I've not had any issues with it. The top is always dry plus with the daily sweepings that also get dumped in the litter tray.... there feet are always dry. I can also see there droppings fine. In the summer months of course the litter tray will have to be emptied daily, especially during the heatwaves. During the cold weather months there isn't much to worry about in regards to the litter tray.

Back