• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help in regards to hutches!!

I'm using my phone and it won't let me link it but it's from the same website and is called Bunny Ark, it's £79.99.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Just a metal one that I found on eBay, I tried looking for it to show you but for some reason couldn't find it

Just a note of caution about some metal runs that have been dangerous. Rabbits have got their heads stuck between the bars and they are often not preditor proof. Wood and weld mesh is the safest option imo.

Just a note of caution about some metal runs that have been dangerous. Rabbits have got their heads stuck between the bars and they are often not preditor proof. Wood and weld mesh is the safest option imo.

Definitely this.

I don't think that the chicken coop style hutches are very good unfortunately, as they don't give enough indoor space for when the weather is bad. A traditional hutch 6x2x2 ft would be better because they'd have enough room while keeping warm and dry, you'd then want to add a run to the hutch.

I have a chicken coop style and I can't wait until I can move Ruby into the bigger hutch which is arriving soon.

Yeah, that is what I have at the minute, however my new big 10ftx10ftx6ft enclosure arrived a couple of days ago and I'm super excited to put it up for them and see their little faces haha. I am also putting my current hutch inside of it as it will provide the shelter etc that they need, also with a hutch cover for added protection.

Gutted as I've tried to reply and post twice...lol... and both times it lost my post which were long ones..lol...so now off to have a cuppa and if this doesn't post...well...it prob will and is of no use or help at all! I will try post again later... :roll: :( :lol:

okay - third time luck

I currently have 2X 6X6X2 hutches with a run and if i could have a walkl in aviary Id be over the moon. Ideally a shed/aviary combo would be great but i would def settle for a walk in aviary.

post below is the best option - the Aviary option.

I'm going to be really quick as it keeps losing my posts so sorry if its not explained welll

Pro's:
Can stand up and sweep out - wahoooooooooooooo!
no more rain soaking you and the hay bins
no flying tarps to deal with and wet rabbits underneath as i try to get water off..lol... (my dream! lol!)

SPACE for the buns..the height will especially give them a feeling of not being caged.
pave the area

Place aviary against the house wall and hutch along that wall too inside of aviary.
Make aviary as long as you can...so shed door can still open.
You get that extra bit of floor space by using the area in your photo where the kids toys are now.
If you cant afford a new hutch then use current accommodation and save for a bigger hutch

Use a plastic corrugated roof that slightly overhangs
Use washers & screw to screw in plastic that you roll down for protection. You can buy clear plastic off the roll at "The Range" for £2/£3 per metre so can buy the cut lengths you need.

Use welded mesh wire -not chicken wire..it can rot easily, and rabbits can actually chew through it eventually and well foxes have no issues chewing through it as my neighbour found out after his chickens were eaten..poor things..i warned him too.
Use bolts for the doors.

It would be very interesting if you asked for quotes on an aviary.
Even if you put on the roof yourself...so get the whole thing made with hard wood and welded mesh.

You can add a bench /chair for yourself that buns can use to hop and lay under too.
Id would add a dig box of soil...use underbed storage box or childs garden sandpit - often find them on freecycle or just ask on facebook often people give them away at the end of summer too. this will give some relief from the hard paving for their hocks
Add straw/hay on the floor if buns prone to sore hocks - clear out every week.
Hanging basket for hay and foraged foods for feeding - keeps hay from being soiled - ensure buns cant jump into it though.

I think it can look smart be safe, easy to clean & keep disinfected if need be, will enable you & the kids to spend more time with the bunnies over winter especially.
Will be fox proof - be sure no matter where you live foxes are about...and yep they can easily scale 6 ft fences & sheds too.

Good luck & where are these bunnies whom you are making a wonderful new home for?

Not something like this (check out my skills in paint!), you'll have to imagine the mesh in there haha! It would only be about 3ft x 7.5ft if the space is as you said it was, but if the door opened outwards that would be fine, and having the lip at the bottom prevents escapes between your feet.

12038914_10153057235201761_3315226477596124614_o.jpg

Last edited:
okay - third time luck

I currently have 2X 6X6X2 hutches with a run and if i could have a walkl in aviary Id be over the moon. Ideally a shed/aviary combo would be great but i would def settle for a walk in aviary.

post below is the best option - the Aviary option.

I'm going to be really quick as it keeps losing my posts so sorry if its not explained welll

Pro's:
Can stand up and sweep out - wahoooooooooooooo!
no more rain soaking you and the hay bins
no flying tarps to deal with and wet rabbits underneath as i try to get water off..lol... (my dream! lol!)

SPACE for the buns..the height will especially give them a feeling of not being caged.
pave the area

Place aviary against the house wall and hutch along that wall too inside of aviary.
Make aviary as long as you can...so shed door can still open.
You get that extra bit of floor space by using the area in your photo where the kids toys are now.
If you cant afford a new hutch then use current accommodation and save for a bigger hutch

Use a plastic corrugated roof that slightly overhangs
Use washers & screw to screw in plastic that you roll down for protection. You can buy clear plastic off the roll at "The Range" for £2/£3 per metre so can buy the cut lengths you need.

Use welded mesh wire -not chicken wire..it can rot easily, and rabbits can actually chew through it eventually and well foxes have no issues chewing through it as my neighbour found out after his chickens were eaten..poor things..i warned him too.
Use bolts for the doors.

It would be very interesting if you asked for quotes on an aviary.
Even if you put on the roof yourself...so get the whole thing made with hard wood and welded mesh.

You can add a bench /chair for yourself that buns can use to hop and lay under too.
Id would add a dig box of soil...use underbed storage box or childs garden sandpit - often find them on freecycle or just ask on facebook often people give them away at the end of summer too. this will give some relief from the hard paving for their hocks
Add straw/hay on the floor if buns prone to sore hocks - clear out every week.
Hanging basket for hay and foraged foods for feeding - keeps hay from being soiled - ensure buns cant jump into it though.

I think it can look smart be safe, easy to clean & keep disinfected if need be, will enable you & the kids to spend more time with the bunnies over winter especially.
Will be fox proof - be sure no matter where you live foxes are about...and yep they can easily scale 6 ft fences & sheds too.

Good luck & where are these bunnies whom you are making a wonderful new home for?

LOVE the sound that. It might be doable .. I may even look at aviaries on ebay. Will have a search about and speak to hubby :)

UPDATE: .. still searching but hubby has measured up .. if we move the slabs towards the shed a smidge .. the P@H hutch will fit between the wall of the house and the slabs. Then we will buy a run which will fit the width and length of slab area. Of course they will have permamant access to the run via a catflap in the hutch and during the spring summer months will be coming inside for playtime so He is leaning more towards this idea. Unfortunately though we won't be able to do anything until feb/mar time .. but thats not too far away. I am also going to treat and paint the P@H hutch and of course it will have a cover.

Back