• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis from feed hay

peterjames

Warren Scout
Thanks to all those who have informed me, of the risk of getting this decease from flea's in the feed hay. This means that the risk of getting flea's that do not carry the decease is astronomically greater. As I have no intention of getting my home infested by flea's. I do have people living here, who rent rooms off of me. I can see I will have to stop buying hay, and say goodbye to my bunny. Once again I thank you for bringing this to my attention. For those who thought I was not giving injection to my bunny, to save money, I can only say that is not the case. I can not remember when I last saw a mosquito in my home. and as I never gave a thought to the possibility of him getting it from his hay. I had no intention of having him injected

So rather than pay the money for vaccinations as a precaution, (just because you don't see mozzies doesn't mean they're not around, plus the jab is for VHD too which you can get by walking anywhere really) and just keep on top of flea treatment in your home as a precaution, you're just going to get rid of your bunny because he's now an inconvenience to you? Hopefully he'll benefit by getting an owner who actually cares for him more than lining his own pockets as you won't be inconvenienced by an animal you decided to take in and care for at least you'll save on cleaning bills to keep your rooms free from hair and hay as well as food, bedding and other pet stuff.

I always thought you were a troll.

VHD can also be transfered via hay (and wind and clothes/shoes). I think it's very sad that you're willing to give up a beloved pet for the sake of £40 or less a year but I'm sure his new owners will take care of him.

Guys, it's important to remember that he (?) is 77 years old as mentioned in one of his posts, and is apparent by his manner of posting. (For example, putting his username as the title of threads.) I forget how many years he has mentioned that he kept rabbits, but obviously things have changed a bit over the years. I don't think he's trying to argue or start fights with everyone. I think he's merely sharing his experiences and opinions on how things have been done before, and is probably interested in seeing how other people keep their rabbits now. :)

You can also bring fleas into the house from walking through grass or from going round people's houses if they have pets, but there's no need to give either your bunny or other things up. Your house won't get infested from the odd flea that finds its way in, you don't need to worry about your tenants. If you are worried then you can get heat-treated hay such as kiln-dried hays, or you can freeze your hay when you get it which will kill any bugs. Dust Free Hay is treated for bugs.

Myxomatosis can be transferred by more than fleas and mosquitos, other biting insects can also carry it, and vhd can come into your home on your shoes or clothes, so it is important to get your rabbit vaccinated for both with the combi vaccine whether they are inside or outside. This protects them for a year against these horrible fatal diseases.

peterjames, I hope you don't say goodbye to your bunny.

We are all just sharing our experiences and opinions about the welfare of rabbits. The thing is.............we are all so passionate about them too.

Please try to appreciate the different points of view given and understand the reasons behind them.

Noserubs to your bunny.

Sweet dreams.

Guys, it's important to remember that he (?) is 77 years old as mentioned in one of his posts, and is apparent by his manner of posting. (For example, putting his username as the title of threads.) I forget how many years he has mentioned that he kept rabbits, but obviously things have changed a bit over the years. I don't think he's trying to argue or start fights with everyone. I think he's merely sharing his experiences and opinions on how things have been done before, and is probably interested in seeing how other people keep their rabbits now. :)

Never saw that, that makes sense on the way he writes actually. I don't know why he's worried about fleas now when he's had rabbits for ages and I assume not had much of a problem with flea outbreaks.

peterjames

Never saw that, that makes sense on the way he writes actually. I don't know why he's worried about fleas now when he's had rabbits for ages and I assume not had much of a problem with flea outbreaks.

I had rabbits when I was younger, and chickens. But not in the house. They were not pets, but for commercial use. food, feather, and fur. And I know how to kill them without causing them pain or suffering. This is the first animal I have kept indoors. Not by choice, but necessity. I have now found a supplier of safe food, as far as insects go. And now as I no longer take the rabbit out to the park, but keep him indoors, there is no risk of him getting myxomatosis, If there is a risk of him getting VHD. From the hay. then that is in the lap of the gods. I will not have him injected, He will have to take his chances with the other wild rabbits.. and his chances are far better I'd say. this is not to save money, I just can not inflict pain, on another animal. that I can not explain why I have done it. If he gets pain from getting VHD at least he can not believe I have taken him somewhere to get it. Sorry if you can not understand me but that's how it is.

I had rabbits when I was younger, and chickens. But not in the house. They were not pets, but for commercial use. food, feather, and fur. And I know how to kill them without causing them pain or suffering. This is the first animal I have kept indoors. Not by choice, but necessity. I have now found a supplier of safe food, as far as insects go. And now as I no longer take the rabbit out to the park, but keep him indoors, there is no risk of him getting myxomatosis, If there is a risk of him getting VHD. From the hay. then that is in the lap of the gods. I will not have him injected, He will have to take his chances with the other wild rabbits.. and his chances are far better I'd say. this is not to save money, I just can not inflict pain, on another animal. that I can not explain why I have done it. If he gets pain from getting VHD at least he can not believe I have taken him somewhere to get it. Sorry if you can not understand me but that's how it is.

To be honest I've not read alot of the other posts mentioned in this thread, but, please vaccinate your rabbit, the risks are huge if he/she contracts myxi or vhd, its not inflicting pain on your rabbit, they barely even feel the needle - I promise you, if my two don't even blink, then it can't hurt that much!

I have, however, highlighted two sections of your post above, as, in my eyes, they are completely contradictory of each other.

I have never read most of your posts as I do, tbh, have you down as a 'trouble maker' so choose not to read, but I hope you're not and I hope your'e just naive to the problem.

If not even for your rabbits benefit, but for other rabbits - just think if your rabbit got myxi or vhd, was bitten and that bug (cos there's several kinds that can carry it) goes on to bite someone else's (probably, maybe, whatever) vaccinated rabbit - that rabbit will suffer (altho not die hopefully if they're infected).

I happen to think that having pets (whatever kind) and not vaccinating is not only negligible and irresponsible, but down right cruel.

Sorry if that is not what anyone wants to hear, but that's my views.

So rather than pay the money for vaccinations as a precaution, (just because you don't see mozzies doesn't mean they're not around, plus the jab is for VHD too which you can get by walking anywhere really) and just keep on top of flea treatment in your home as a precaution, you're just going to get rid of your bunny because he's now an inconvenience to you? Hopefully he'll benefit by getting an owner who actually cares for him more than lining his own pockets as you won't be inconvenienced by an animal you decided to take in and care for at least you'll save on cleaning bills to keep your rooms free from hair and hay as well as food, bedding and other pet stuff.

I always thought you were a troll.

Sorry you think that,

peterjames

To be honest I've not read alot of the other posts mentioned in this thread, but, please vaccinate your rabbit, the risks are huge if he/she contracts myxi or vhd, its not inflicting pain on your rabbit, they barely even feel the needle - I promise you, if my two don't even blink, then it can't hurt that much!

I have, however, highlighted two sections of your post above, as, in my eyes, they are completely contradictory of each other.

I have never read most of your posts as I do, tbh, have you down as a 'trouble maker' so choose not to read, but I hope you're not and I hope your'e just naive to the problem.

If not even for your rabbits benefit, but for other rabbits - just think if your rabbit got myxi or vhd, was bitten and that bug (cos there's several kinds that can carry it) goes on to bite someone else's (probably, maybe, whatever) vaccinated rabbit - that rabbit will suffer (altho not die hopefully if they're infected).

I happen to think that having pets (whatever kind) and not vaccinating is not only negligible and irresponsible, but down right cruel.

If you read those quotes, you will see that they do not contradict each other. I stopped having the flue jab 20 years ago, because I hated the pain of the needle, and the after effects when if felt as though I had the flue. And also later on I often got the flue. Since I stopped having this jab I have never had the flue. I said when I kill I cause no pain to the animal. As a matter of fact He does not know he is dead, and had no reason to believe he was going to die. So no stress or pain involved. Just because your rabbits don't squeal. when they get injected, or sit on your lap and cry when you get home, does not mean they are not suffering, rabbits tend to suffer in silence. But as you do not want to chance your bunnies getting these illnesses, you are prepared to do this. I am not.

The vaccination is a mere small p-rick which mine have never even so much as flinched at. VHD and myxo and horrendously painful diseases.

If you had a child with an illness that you knew would very likely cause immense suffering when they were older but that could be fixed with a minor operation would you decline?

My apologies if I'm wrong but this makes me think you're about to release him into the wild. Whatever you think or do, do not do that. He will die. Surrender him to a rescue if you feel so strongly on the matter.

peterjames

If you read those quotes, you will see that they do not contradict each other. I stopped having the flue jab 20 years ago, because I hated the pain of the needle, and the after effects when if felt as though I had the flue. And also later on I often got the flue. Since I stopped having this jab I have never had the flue. I said when I kill I cause no pain to the animal. As a matter of fact He does not know he is dead, and had no reason to believe he was going to die. So no stress or pain involved. Just because your rabbits don't squeal. when they get injected, or sit on your lap and cry when you get home, does not mean they are not suffering, rabbits tend to suffer in silence. But as you do not want to chance your bunnies getting these illnesses, you are prepared to do this. I am not.

My apologies if I'm wrong but this makes me think you're about to release him into the wild. Whatever you think or do, do not do that. He will die. Surrender him to a rescue if you feel so strongly on the matter.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm known to get the completely wrong end of the stick!:roll:

i think that he means by 'taking chances with the other wild rabbits' hes saying that they dont have jabs either, not that hes relasing the bun into the wild, well thats what i hope he means anyway :?

Myxomatosis and VHD are extremely painful and are fatal diseases that cause an awful lot of suffering. They are also extremely common and there is no sure way to prevent your rabbit from catching them except vaccination - many indoor rabbits catch them. The diseases were developed and designed by humans and they were designed to be spread easily - that was the diseases' purpose and they have been very successful.

Your own hatred of the flu jab is based in part on a dread of the experience, that is clear. Rabbits do not have the same aversion, just as they do not brood upon their own mortality like humans, just like you suggest when you say you can kill them without pain or suffering. The rabbit will not fear the jab as you fear yours, it will just feel the scratch of a needle, which is much less painful than killing an animal, even by such methods such as breaking their neck. Breaking of the neck is severely painful at the time of the injury, however quickly it is over. A vaccine is like a scratch, much less painful than death. If you have no moral issue in ending a rabbit's life, then you should have no issue with a momentary scratch. A scratch once a year is preferable to a horrendous death, wouldn't you say?

It is also worth noting that the new combi vaccine is more effective and has very few side effects, unlike the old vaccines that you may be more familiar with.

Myxomatosis is not like the flu, it is more like the plague. If you had a child at risk from the plague, like the Black Death of old, would you not vaccinate them?

Last edited:
My rabbits never showed any signs after the jab and didn't even notice the jab either, one is now 10 years old and he still doesn't show any signs of the injection being a problem. I had a rabbit I had to inject every day for a year, she didn't show any signs of pain or discomfort. (Not like me who would! :lol:)

Myxomatous starts by swelling up the eyes, then the genitles and finally their throat swells up leading them to a very slow painful death as it can take up to 2 weeks and if they don't suffocate first, they starve to death.

VHD is where the rabbit doesn't hemorrhage, so bleeds out of everything, mostly internal bleeding, which again is a slow death, but can happen within 24 hours.

You're putting your own fears of injections onto your rabbit, who isn't a wild rabbit, so shouldn't be expected to "take his changes like the wild rabbits." Else you'd be keeping him outside living in burrows rather than kept as a house rabbit.

It's like not vaccinating children, which people didn't for fear of the combi vaccine, but are now suffering as measles are now an epidemic when before it was controlled because of the vaccination.

But it sounds like you've made your mind up, and I really hope the bunny is extremely lucky not to get any of these virus.

Edit: I'm glad you're getting hay and food from a different supplier to reduce the risk of getting myxi :thumb:

Last edited:
Back