• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi - I am so frightened for my buns at present, are you?

I'm a bit confused??? Can vaccinated rabbits get it? I wasn't at all worried as mine are up to date with vaccinations but seems from this and other threads that they can still be infected. So what is the point of vaccination if this is the case or have I misunderstood?

Vaccines reduce the likelihood of infection and reduce the symptoms dramatically increasing the chance of survival. The label claim for the new vaccine is "to reduce mortality and clinical signs of myxomatosis and to prevent mortality due to rabbit haemorrhagic disease."
No vaccine, human or veterinary is a 100% guarantee. Several years back the cat flu vaccine was actually quite poor in terms of stopping them catching it, but very effective at making sure they survive.

Last edited:
Several of my rabbits aren't fit enough to have the combined vaccined - I can't bear to read the myxo posts, it leaves me feeling sick with worry :-(

Several of my rabbits aren't fit enough to have the combined vaccined - I can't bear to read the myxo posts, it leaves me feeling sick with worry :-(

I'm so sorry to read this, what an additional worry for you.

I think all we can do is be vigilant, act quickly and continue to support and ask for advice / info etc here at RU.

Like I said earlier, my heart really goes out to those who are currently nursing buns with myxi.

I hate it. I work at a vets and have seen so many this past 3 weeks. Most of which didn't make it (all unvaccinated!). I keep checking my lot, they are all vaccinated but I am dreading them getting it.

I don't think worrying and stressing over the fear of them getting it is good. We should concentrate more on loving our buns at present and spending lots of time with them in the meantime. I have only one rabbit, I wouldn't want another and would never be able to replace him, ever. We should be more optimistic about things right now.

Back