• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My shed is going mouldy!

Mine is on paving slabs with sand underneath and plasitc sheeting below that so no water can get through. With mine it is seeping through the walls, when we get a dry day i am tempeted to paint the inside and see if that helps, i don't really have the money to replace it after less than a year :?

Mine is defo worse when its rained so no,but obviously not drying out in this weather:(

I've been putting a heater on for an hour while i'm in there on a night which may be helping. Can't wait for the snow to go away as this is when i noticed it starting with me.

Although this would be a lengthy job, would you guys consider using outdoor filler for between each tongue and groove of the shed. It is something I have thought about but, to be honest, after trying nearly everything, I am getting fed up :(

Although this would be a lengthy job, would you guys consider using outdoor filler for between each tongue and groove of the shed. It is something I have thought about but, to be honest, after trying nearly everything, I am getting fed up :(

Thats what im going to do,but i need to wait for some dryer weather;)

Trouble with mine is its not coming through between the T&G its the actual flaming wood panels its seeping through, i will take a pic tomorrow!

It started that side but it is coming through the other side now as well which is up along a fence as well so that side is protected more from the weather, it really is a nightmare!

Tell me about it!

It's really hard when it's the one near the fence as you don't have much room to get to it to paint it etc.

I am wondering if these sheds have a guarantee?!?! Especially as you have only had it less than a year.

My OH isn't convinced it's coming through the wood with ours as he said that the wood would have to be literally submursed in water for a looooong period of time for that to happen. Are there any gaps on the corners of your shed (i.e. where the sides are fixed together?)

Both perspex one fixed and one that opens

I spoke to a wood guy who said that, if the wood is painted, the water will not get through, especially if the shed is new.

The only way that the inside walls of our shed are wet is due to the water seeping through tiny holes that could be in the wood (caused by wood knots), seeping through the window joins or through gaps where the shed has been put together. Even if a hole is tiny, water can seep through and along the length of the wall and make it really wet.

At least we all seem to be having the smae problem so can help each other out somehow! :roll:

Are the buns in the shed? Mould spores could make them ill, as could damp in the air. Hope you can get it sorted! :)

I think a lot depends on where the shed is situated. I have two sheds - the oldest one (about 8 years old) is in a really sunny spot in the garden and backs onto a fairly 'open' hedge. Even in winter, it gets several hours of sunshine on a good day. The other shed, which is only two years old, is in constant shade and is right up against a fence. It is already mouldy on the inside, despite being weather-treated and insulated/boarded on the inside. The old shed, which is also insulated, is as dry as a bone.

So I can only conclude that the shed which is in a fairly 'damp' or 'airless' environment will become mouldy whereas the one which is in full sunshine and has a good airflow around it will stay dry.

Both are good quality tongue and groove sheds.

Back