• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

MY RABBIT WON'T EAT HAY...I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING....

try hiding his pellets in the hay - that worked for my bun! also mixing herbs in the hay helped too.

the hay Jack seems to like most for some reason is the really cheap dusty stuff you get in some supermarkets! you could try that, I don't buy it for him now as it makes him sneeze a lot as it's so dusty!

I find also he is more happy to eat hay if you hand feed it to him.

Why not try the Bunny Basics/T pellets from Oxbow. This is based on timothy grass meal, so is very high in fibre - I think probably higher than most of the other rabbit foods that is on the market. It also has a better calcium/phosphorus ratio than most foods, so that's a bonus too. Bugs Bunny and his friends all love it - and look really fit and healthy on it!!

We get ours directly from www.sphsupplies.co.uk, who can normally get it to us within a couple of days or so. Seem to be one of the few people too with all the different Oxbow hays in stock. worth calling in on their website.

Comment on dusty hay - not recommended because in many hays the dust is caused by Aspergillus spores (fungus), not good for your or his long term health - so suggest that you avoid it!

Lots of luck to you both, hope Harvey keeps doing well
lol Bugs Bunny and friends

jrn1310 said:
Eventually if you can stick to it, he will start to eat hay rather than let himself starve. Janice

Please be very careful doing this... I was told by my vet to take away other foods to make my buns eat hay and I was very proud of myself for sticking to my guns. 10 days later my rabbit had GI stasis. I would never do this again.

Sue

Sue idea is excellent. My last rabbit (passed away in July) who had a lot of stomach issues refuses to eat hay. I also try everything. He just won't eat them. But if I put some hay in his mouth, he will break down the hay. So you can try that, it would at least cut down his teeth. He will do it, as rabbit loves to bite things. You stick hay to his mouth, he will bite it off, guarantee. Just keep at it 3 -4 times a day.

But learning from my last rabbit, hay is vital to his health due to the high fibre contents. So if he won't eat it, then the next thing to do is Sue's idea. Swap 30% basic T w/ his regular pellet for 1 week, then 50/50, then 70% basic T and 30% regular, then 100% basic T. Basic T is very good, from Oxbow. That would take care of the high fibre problem.

One thing I did try is to give him a slice of apple, and puncture the apple slice w/ hay, then cut it, and repeat the above. In other words, you would have a lot of puncture holes on the apple slice via the hay, so you hope that your bunny will pick up bits of hay when he eats the apple.

You can do that will many other fruit. For e.g., a slice of pear mix with bits stroke off from the seed head of timothy hay. In other words, you rub the seedhead of timothy hay w/ your finger and dump them on the sticky surface of a pear, and hope your bunny will pick up some as he eats the pear.

By the way, I found that removing pellet w/ just hay diet won't work. he won't eat the hay, and that's the end of it. Try the above and let us know

Thanks soooooo much for all your suggestions. That's absolutely great.
I will be trying out all your suggestions one at a time and see if any of them work!!! Will let you know how I get on.

Bought some dried grass yesterday and put it in his indoor hutch. He has the full run of my spare bedroom at the moment while I'm at work. I leave the top of his indoor cage off so he can go in there if he wants or run around the bedroom. When I get home he can tear around the house. Have bought him in while it's cold and also to keep a close eye on him and see how he's getting on.

I'm not sure whether he has eaten any of it....he has certainly had fun spreading it all around his cage. I scattered some pellets amongst the grass but I can't be sure whether he's eaten any of it yet. I will also try mixing herbs in the hay to see whether that will encourage him. What herbs do you find your bunny loves most?

I will also try chopping the hay into smaller lengths. I will try the orchard
grass out on him aswell and the timonthy pellets from oxbow.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I need to write out a big shopping list and tick them all off as I go.

Thank you.

Big Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

BUNNY1.jpg

Soofsoof wrote
jrn1310 wrote:
Eventually if you can stick to it, he will start to eat hay rather than let himself starve. Janice

Please be very careful doing this... I was told by my vet to take away other foods to make my buns eat hay and I was very proud of myself for sticking to my guns. 10 days later my rabbit had GI stasis. I would never do this again.

Sue

I am not sure if you have misunderstood what I had written, I am not suggesting stopping the pellets, I am suggesting that the minimum recommended amount of pellets be fed to an animal rather than just giving a 'bowl full of pellets which many people give. If an animal if overfed pellets it will be full up and have no desire or need to eat hay. Some of the rabbits who come in to ARC are reluctant to change over from a mix to Bunny Basics (by Oxbow) and to eat hay, if I wean them slowly on to Bunny Basics and then only give the minimum recomended amount of pellets recomended by Oxbow for a single rabbit they usually have started to eat some hay by the end of the first month. They certainly do not go hungry and starve, and are eating enough to prevent GI statsis .

Janice

Thank you all!!!

What's the difference between bunny basics and timothy hay pellets?

Which one would you recommend?

Nic n Harvey x

Thanks Janice,

Harvey is about 9 months old so would you recommend the alfalfa based pellets?

Thank you very much,

Nic n Harvey xx

Oxbows Bunny Basic 15/23 is recommended for immature rabbits (up to 6 months) as this contains alfalfa, and hence is high is protein - which is great for growing active buns. Too much of this for an older rabbit will lead to obesity, so Oxbow recommend switching over to their Bunny Basics/T from 6 months on. You can also feed the 15/23 to animals who have a higher nutritional need, eg those that are having difficulty keeping weight on them due to age or illness, or those bunnies that are pregnant or lactating. Sounds like Harvey isn't underweight - just got dreadful teeth problems poor chap, so it is the fibre you require, not the extra protein.

sounds like you are doing a good job with him - poor fellow

lol Bugs Bunny and his friends

Would agree with sue811 on that, to give Bunny Basics T rather than the 15/23. Unless we have picked up on the wrong facts.

Janice

Thank you.

He's 9 months and is quite small because he's a wild bunny. He certainly isn't underweight and could probably do with putting a tad more weight on. But then wild bunnies are different in terms of bodyweight than domestic buns. Harvey is very lithe and athletic looking. I do think that he has a bit more growing to do yet.

Because of his dental problems he has lulls in his weight. Sometimes he looks a nice healthy weight and then other times, because he's just had a dental, he won't eat so much. Those times he could do with putting some weight on.

I do think he has a bit more growing to do yet tho. Saying that he doesn't eat much hay, if any. Do you still recommend the bunny basics T?

L of L,

Nic n Harvey xx

The problem is that you don't want to keep changing your rabbit's diet from one food to another, although they are made by Oxbow they should be considered as two separate foods and you need to wean your rabbit from one to the other which takes time.

I would still suggest the Bunny Basics T to help prevent problems in the future if you need to then wean Harvey off one the 15/23 on to the Basics T. Harvey by the sound of it has the potential to have stress related problems with his teeth without too many dietary alterations.

Janice

I would agree w/ Basic T as well. That's the one I use. But remember the problem is twofold: he needs the fibre in his sys., as well as the teeth growing issue.

If you can fix it by timothy hay, then you solve 2 problems into 1. I forgot to mention when you buy the timothy hay, try to buy the ones that is "First Cut", so you can see a lot of stem on the timothy hay, which is good to cut down his teeth.

The 2nd cut is more leaves, and doesn't do much at all to cut down the size of his teeth. Needless to say, stem has more fiber than leaves.

When you buy it in the farm, you have a choice of 1st or 2nd cut. ($4 for 60 lb. bale), when you buy it at pet store, it costs a lot more money and not as fresh, but you can hand pick from the plastic bag which bag has more stem.

Hello,

I have spent a fortune on Oxbow Timonthy Hay and he won't touch the stuff. My other wild bun doesn't like it either. However I have seen him nibble on some plain old meadow hay that I bought in a big bag.

With regards to the pellets it looks like you are advising me to buy the
Bunny Basics T so I will buy some and see how he gets on. I miswrote one of my earlier posts. What I meant to say is that Harvey is certainly not overweight, if anything he could do with putting a bit of weight on as the girly wild bun I have is younger than him yet much bigger. However she has no teeth problems and eats plenty of hay every day. I think Harveys problems stem from his accident and the trauma he received to one side.

So if you are all agreed I will try him on the bunny basics T and not the 15/23? Is the bunny basics T the same as the Timothy pellets sold on the Bunny Basics website?

Many thanks for all your help,

Nic N Harvey xx

Eventually if you can stick to it, he will start to eat hay rather than let himself starve.

That's what my vet said. Sealy chose to starve.

I can't get my rabbit to eat it either. Tried every trick in the book.

Eddie Bun went off his hay the other week so I tried one of bunnyhuggers recipes :wink: got him back into hay :D

cut up some hay so that it is about an inch in length
mash a tiny bit of banana then mix the hay in so that it all kind of sticks together, chop abit more hay and sprinkle on topic :D

you could add some chopped fresh herbs and add but would probably stick to the hay as this is what you want your bun to eat :wink:

ps: Eddie bun went wild for it, his head was in the bowl before I could put it on the floor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cor - Denny's recipe sounds good enough to eat - yum!

I think the timothy pellets are designed to help get buns to eat more fibre - which is great and may be what Harvey needs. They are lower in protein,Vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus etc than Bunny Basics T, and the info seems to suggest that they should be used alongside normal concentrate. Be interesting to hear anyone else's comments on this.

lol Bugs Bunny and Friends

Nicole, you don't have to spend a fortune on brand name timothy hay. The best hay, is farm hay fresh cut from farm. It's much cheaper and as fresh as it can get. Well worth the long distance drive for the money that you save.

Pet store sells good hay for $8.99 for 5 lb., if I were to buy 60 lb. of that at pet store, it would cost me $108, vs. $4 for 60 lb. (1 bale) at the farm.

But if your rabbit is not eating timothy hay, what you could do is to buy a small amt. of different types of hay, see which one he will bite on, then increase the amt. of that type of hay while you mix a little bit of timothy hay on it.

Eating some hay, even if it is not timothy, is better than not eating hay at all. Make sure you try to hand feed them close to their teeth, they love to bite off the stem of any hay.

Thank you Happy Hopping. I will try and find a farm nr me that sells hay and try him on that. I've spent a fortune on Oxbow Timothy Hay but he won't touch it.

Nic n Harvey xx

Back