• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is really wobbly on frount legs

Hello again its been a cupple days i have now noticsed my rabbit seems unable to move both his frount legs what so ever he is relaying on his back legs to push himself up to be sitting up hes done that 4 times today but he still keeps on just flopping over when he trys to move it seems his frount legs just dont work

ae6682ef83364bc089e392fe0769f294.jpg

Thats how he sits all day iv took him out of his cage but he hasnt wanted to move i took him out to give him some company insted of being sat in his bed all day

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Poor lad :(

Sorry to hear about this. Did you say how old he was?

As well as considering an inner ear infection, or EC, it may be a pinched nerve in the spinal cord. I have seen this in a rabbit and it bizarrely affected the front legs.

Has the vet suggested doing an X-ray to asses any possible spinal damage? There was perhaps some trauma or injury?

As has been mentioned, he really should be on Metacam *whatever* the reason, both to help control the pain and also to decrease any possible inflammation.

Good luck with him :)

Killians only 11 months old

Nop the vet really just gave him a check over then gave said it could be an ear infection if not it maybe EC and said that if it is he may not ever fully get better. then gave me antiebiotics and panacur and sent me back home.

Hopefully they do more for him when hes there on tusday.

Killians only 11 months old

Nop the vet really just gave him a check over then gave said it could be an ear infection if not it maybe EC and said that if it is he may not ever fully get better. then gave me antiebiotics and panacur and sent me back home.

Hopefully they do more for him when hes there on tusday.

Or find another vet?

He's so young .....

Personally, I would have expected my vet to have prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain relief medication (Metacam), as this would be appropriate whether it is an ear infection or EC.

Yeah its why im so determaned for him to get better.

hes all there in mind and when hes sitting with me outside his bed he keeps on trying to push himself around with his back feet so hes fighting still.

I just dont want him to get sick of trying and to give up i had an older rabbit before him Loki who was 6 and his back legs went and it was hart brakeing to watch him one day he just came over to me and looked at me like iv had enof iv tryed that was the day he got put to sleep.

Thats why im so worried for killian and hes so young

Personally, I would have expected my vet to have prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain relief medication (Metacam), as this would be appropriate whether it is an ear infection or EC.

Me too and as the presentation is not actually a 'classic' one for EC or Otitis Media I would have expected some diagnostics straight away.

chasingkillian if you are not happy with your current Vet then you could ask on here for 'Rabbit Savvy Vet' recommendations in your area. It'd be best to start a thread in Rabbit Chat about that as more people tend to view that part of the Forum :)

I dont know much about these illness as killian is the first one thats got sick so i just went with the vet as in mind they normaly know whats best.

Yeah its why im so determaned for him to get better.

hes all there in mind and when hes sitting with me outside his bed he keeps on trying to push himself around with his back feet so hes fighting still.

I just dont want him to get sick of trying and to give up i had an older rabbit before him Loki who was 6 and his back legs went and it was hart brakeing to watch him one day he just came over to me and looked at me like iv had enof iv tryed that was the day he got put to sleep.

Thats why im so worried for killian and hes so young

You can look for another good vet here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat with 'Rabbit Savvy vet needed in (your location)' and members will come up with their recommendations.

Let me know if there's any way I can help you and your rabbit further :)

I dont know much about these illness as killian is the first one thats got sick so i just went with the vet as in mind they normaly know whats best.

I also have no practical experience of either illness and my comment is purely based on what people on this forum have experienced and advised.

I also know that not all vets are as experienced as others when it comes to rabbit illnesses, as treating rabbits forms only a small part of their veterinary course.

If I were you, I would consider whether you should perhaps be looking for a second opinion elsewhere. Jack's-Jane has advised how you could get some recommendations from people on the forum.

I wish you all the best with Killian. He looks to be a lovely rabbit.

Last edited:
I would get a second opinion, however, his symptoms are similar to my bun's. She had suspected e.c and then had a seizure and lost the use of her front legs. This only lasted for a few days, though, so wasn't as severe as your bun's symptoms. My vets kept her in overnight after her seizure and administered fluids, panacur and metacam. Metacam is a must as it reduces inflammation in the brain (or ears) which helps speed up recovery. It also means they are covered in case they are in pain. It could be a spinal injury and I'd take her to a rabbit savvy vet for further diagnostics.

Keep us updated.

Back