• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My little Buttons is very ill, shes gone :(

Thankyou, the vet said that it is still possible for it to be tumours and this is unfortunately what she fears it is.
I really am the world's biggest idiot, I noticed she wasn't right yesterday because she kept picking up her pellets and putting her head up to eat them so I thought she might be having problems with her teeth, I didn't even think it could be because she couldn't breathe properly. On my vets advice I have brought her inside and separated her from Twinkle so that I can monitor her output.
She has eaten really well and done lots of normal looking poos. She has eaten all her pellets and herbs but I don't think she's had any hay but it's hard to tell, she has some dried forage and some fibrefast sticks, I don't know whether to give her anything else? Although she is still hopping around every now and then she stops and puts her head up and back, she's not actually mouth breathing but this is so horrible, does anyone have any advice as to what else I could do?
Thankyou everyone for your help and wishes and Jane you are truly amazing for replying after the day you have had xx

She may benefit from a shot of a diuretic. There could be alot of fluid on her lungs. Shifting the fluid may help her breathing. Did the Vet not suggest admitting her to have her on Oxygen whilst the abx have a chance to kick in ?

With regards to her eating, I would not introduce any new foods or attempt to administer any syringe feeds. She is eating something so that's good. Can you bring her friend in too ? So at least she will be able to see him. It's just that stress will exacerbate breathing problems and being separated from her friend will be stressful for her.

She may benefit from a shot of a diuretic. There could be alot of fluid on her lungs. Shifting the fluid may help her breathing. Did the Vet not suggest admitting her to have her on Oxygen whilst the abx have a chance to kick in ?

With regards to her eating, I would not introduce any new foods or attempt to administer any syringe feeds. She is eating something so that's good. Can you bring her friend in too ? So at least she will be able to see him. It's just that stress will exacerbate breathing problems and being separated from her friend will be stressful for her.

Thankyou I have brought Twinkle in, no the vet didn't suggest doing anything else, I won't give her anything else food wise she has eaten a lot more than I thought she would, I just can't believe how quickly she went downhill, if it is pneumonia do you know what the chances may be for a full recovery?
I will call the vet and ask if they can admit her, thankyou xx

Lots of thoughts and prayers for her. It is awful having a poorly bun and not knowing what to do to help her..big hugs to you as well.xxx

Thankyou, the vet said that it is still possible for it to be tumours and this is unfortunately what she fears it is.
I really am the world's biggest idiot, I noticed she wasn't right yesterday because she kept picking up her pellets and putting her head up to eat them so I thought she might be having problems with her teeth, I didn't even think it could be because she couldn't breathe properly. On my vets advice I have brought her inside and separated her from Twinkle so that I can monitor her output.
She has eaten really well and done lots of normal looking poos. She has eaten all her pellets and herbs but I don't think she's had any hay but it's hard to tell, she has some dried forage and some fibrefast sticks, I don't know whether to give her anything else? Although she is still hopping around every now and then she stops and puts her head up and back, she's not actually mouth breathing but this is so horrible, does anyone have any advice as to what else I could do?
Thankyou everyone for your help and wishes and Jane you are truly amazing for replying after the day you have had xx

I'm so sorry to hear about Buttons. How is she coping without Twinkle?

I hope she improves soon on the meds. Sounds like she still had a healthy appetite, which is very good :)

Thankyou I have brought Twinkle in, no the vet didn't suggest doing anything else, I won't give her anything else food wise she has eaten a lot more than I thought she would, I just can't believe how quickly she went downhill, if it is pneumonia do you know what the chances may be for a full recovery?
I will call the vet and ask if they can admit her, thankyou xx

Rabbits can recover from pneumonia, but it requires very aggressive treatment.

How is she this morning ?

Lots of vibes being sent your way. I do hope Buttons can remain comfortable and that Twinkle helps to cheer her up.

Hi everyone, Twinkle is being worse than useless, she has never been inside and is still far too busy exploring to be a support to Buttons. I spoke to the vet last night they didn't want to admit her, I slept with them and woke up every couple of hours to make sure she was eating and drinking, half way through the night she started eating hay and seemed a bit brighter, this morning she's had her meds and seems much more lively, we're back to the vets tomorrow so I will have to see what they say but I'm very cautiously a tiny bit more optimistic than I was yesterday xx

Oh gosh - I am very relieved to hear this. So pleased she seems to fighting whatever it is - what a strong girl :love:

Loads more vibes for her continued (fingers crossed) recovery.

Awww. More 'hay eating and recovering' vibes to Buttons. Hope Twinkle settles down and starts to hang out with Buttons.

Just thought I would update this, she went back to the vet today and she was really pleased with her, she hasn't lost anymore weight and the vet thinks her breathing is better, we're still not out of the woods yet but the vet said she feels much more optimistic than she was at first. Buttons does seem brighter and is eating more so I am keeping my fingers crossed she has a lot of weight to put back on but the vet was very impressed that she hasn't lost any more, she has been through a lot in her little life and I just want her to get well and be happy again. Thankyou so much for all your good wishes xx

Just thought I would update this, she went back to the vet today and she was really pleased with her, she hasn't lost anymore weight and the vet thinks her breathing is better, we're still not out of the woods yet but the vet said she feels much more optimistic than she was at first. Buttons does seem brighter and is eating more so I am keeping my fingers crossed she has a lot of weight to put back on but the vet was very impressed that she hasn't lost any more, she has been through a lot in her little life and I just want her to get well and be happy again. Thankyou so much for all your good wishes xx

I am so glad to hear that she is doing better now. I hope that she'll make a full recovery xx

Thanks guys, I am happy with her progress so far and I managed to inject her without any trauma, so that was also good. Wow rabbits really are difficult little things xx

Back