• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

MRI scan for sneezing and snotty nose..is this right? u/d back from seeing new vet:)

Good luck with the meds.

After my lot came out of hospital (they had aggressive antibiotic treatment whilst in hospital as they were so poorly) they were on Baytril for a while just to make sure the pasteurella was completely under control. Apparently Baytril tastes vile so you might have a problem disguising it within food. I just used to go for it and syringe it straight in and then give them a tasty treat immediately afterwards to take the nasty taste away.

Fingers crossed that you start seeing some improvement once the antibiotic kicks in.

Forgot Baytril tastes awful! My lot were on Septrin for pasteurella. Tastes like banana I'm told. Thankfully the c&s test showed that was the right antibiotic, they just needed it for a while.

Glad it went well at the vet. Good luck getting the medication down her, and I hope it makes a difference!

Oh my gosh the Baytril is a bloomin nightmare!! Its only day 2 and I hate it already. I'm feeling v sorry for her, both nights I've done it in 3 lots of 1ml mouthfuls...I put her down inbetween and she runs around the kitchen like a loony flicking her back feet and stamping!! She has a wash, a bit of a shake then hides for 20 mins!!:lol:Next time she comes out I grab her and it starts all over again. Poor little Ellie...this is her life for the next 3 weeks (unless she learns to swallow a mouthful at a time, there must be a trick to it somewhere on here :roll: )

Oh my gosh the Baytril is a bloomin nightmare!! Its only day 2 and I hate it already. I'm feeling v sorry for her, both nights I've done it in 3 lots of 1ml mouthfuls...I put her down inbetween and she runs around the kitchen like a loony flicking her back feet and stamping!! She has a wash, a bit of a shake then hides for 20 mins!!:lol:Next time she comes out I grab her and it starts all over again. Poor little Ellie...this is her life for the next 3 weeks (unless she learns to swallow a mouthful at a time, there must be a trick to it somewhere on here :roll: )

Oral Baytril tastes vile and many people have trouble administering it

Could you ask your Vet to prescribe it in injection form. Your Vet could show you how to give injections. Most Rabbit savvy Vets now believe that giving the full daily dose ONCE every 24 hours is more beneficial than giving two smaller doses every 12 hours

So if your Vet agreed it'd just be one quick injection once a day :)

Jane is it really tricky to do injections though...I think I'd be scared of hurting her. I remember years ago watching a vet school series and Truda tried a trillion times to inject a kitten, her needle just kept coming out the other side the scruff of its neck, poor thing. That always sticks in my mind, and she was a vet school trainee!! I mentioned how bad Ellie is at meds, vet said Baytril can cause blisters if injected over a long period...is that not right? Am I ok to give her the meds over the space of an hour or two? Thats what I've been doing bless her she's gonna end up so scared of me by the end of this course. :( Injections would be so much easier if I could be brave though..

Jane is it really tricky to do injections though...I think I'd be scared of hurting her. I remember years ago watching a vet school series and Truda tried a trillion times to inject a kitten, her needle just kept coming out the other side the scruff of its neck, poor thing. That always sticks in my mind, and she was a vet school trainee!! I mentioned how bad Ellie is at meds, vet said Baytril can cause blisters if injected over a long period...is that not right? Am I ok to give her the meds over the space of an hour or two? Thats what I've been doing bless her she's gonna end up so scared of me by the end of this course. :( Injections would be so much easier if I could be brave though..

Personally I think medicating by injection is always much less stressful for both the Rabbit and the care giver. Minimising stress to a sick Rabbit is always beneficial.

Baytril burn can occur, but if you ask your Vet about methods to minimise the risks it may not be an issue

Jane thanks so much for this, I might give them a ring, she's really not happy and is going to get even worse over time I fear. To be fair she never struggles, just has a MAJOR protest when she goes back down, and no matter how much I move the syringe I can't get her to do that chewing thing, maybe I'm just not pushing the syringe in far enough. Jane Thankyou x

glad the vets went well. sounds like the baytril isn't being liked though! :shock: poor bun, i've heard it tastes horrible. bisc and matt used to fight me off when they were on it. :roll:

To say that the Baytril 'isnt being liked' is an understatement! :roll: I've been out to buy some bunny choc buttons they're only tiny so figure she can have one of those after each mouthful, might give her something to look forward to...or not! I've also got some fruit puree that the kids have on their Weetabix, gonna mix a bit of that in with it too I think see if that makes a difference. She's really wheezy today so it HAS to go in. No joy and I'll be asking the vet for injection lessons eeek!!

To say that the Baytril 'isnt being liked' is an understatement! :roll: I've been out to buy some bunny choc buttons they're only tiny so figure she can have one of those after each mouthful, might give her something to look forward to...or not! I've also got some fruit puree that the kids have on their Weetabix, gonna mix a bit of that in with it too I think see if that makes a difference. She's really wheezy today so it HAS to go in. No joy and I'll be asking the vet for injection lessons eeek!!

:lol: sorry, i shouldn't laugh really.. they can be a nightmare at times can't they. :roll: injections aren't too bad really and over quickly. i gave penicillin injections to bisc and matt for a while and it was ok with bisc. matts skin was tougher so that was harder, but still ok.

like how you are bribing bunny with choc buttons, fruit puree etc. :lol:

hope things get better soon. this change in weather isn't helping snuffle buns. matt is very snuffly today. x

And snuffles is brought on by stress, which of course baytril causes by being so vile!

I hide it in bread, but 3ml would mean quite a lot of bread which isn't great for the digestive system.

Aaaw guys thanks for the ideas, keep them coming :lol: Ellie LOVES banana...unless its got Baytril in it, then she'll sniff and walk away in disgust. Never tried her with bread but she loves toast...unless its got Baytril on it and then she'll sniff and walk away in disgust!!:roll::lol:

I think its either I very quickly learn to make her swallow somehow or we go down the injection route, by her 3rd 1ml dose last night she was really wheezy cos she was so stressed with it all. bless her.

And BiscandMatt...yr right you shouldn't laugh, not NOT funny!! :evil::lol: Can I just say though the thought of injecting into tough skin makes me go really weird *shudders* ...is it as tough as when I have to sew my 9year old's cub badges onto his sleeve..that takes some getting through!!:shock: My buns are inside, does it make a difference weatherwise indoors too...generally are they better in or out when they have issues like this? Plan is to get them out in the spring (haha to be fair thats been the plan since we had them 18 months ago but its been one thing after another they've never ever got there!!)

Seriously you lot on here are what's keeping me ok about all of this, I love the support and advice you give (I need all I can get) so a huge big THANKYOU to everyone :love::thumb:

Aaaw guys thanks for the ideas, keep them coming :lol: Ellie LOVES banana...unless its got Baytril in it, then she'll sniff and walk away in disgust. Never tried her with bread but she loves toast...unless its got Baytril on it and then she'll sniff and walk away in disgust!!:roll::lol:

I think its either I very quickly learn to make her swallow somehow or we go down the injection route, by her 3rd 1ml dose last night she was really wheezy cos she was so stressed with it all. bless her.

And BiscandMatt...yr right you shouldn't laugh, not NOT funny!! :evil::lol: Can I just say though the thought of injecting into tough skin makes me go really weird *shudders* ...is it as tough as when I have to sew my 9year old's cub badges onto his sleeve..that takes some getting through!!:shock: My buns are inside, does it make a difference weatherwise indoors too...generally are they better in or out when they have issues like this? Plan is to get them out in the spring (haha to be fair thats been the plan since we had them 18 months ago but its been one thing after another they've never ever got there!!)

Seriously you lot on here are what's keeping me ok about all of this, I love the support and advice you give (I need all I can get) so a huge big THANKYOU to everyone :love::thumb:

apologises :oops::lol: with bisc's skin the needle just went through easily. with matts it was just having to put a bit more pressure and it kind of popped through. :shock: it's hard to explain really. :? i'm trying to remember sewing badges... probably not that tough i don't think. :?

bisc and matt used to live outside but when we moved i brought them inside and some do better inside and some better outside. i have one of each really. :roll: bisc does better inside, whereas matt is fine inside but i open the windows for him, and let him outside for fresh air regularly which really seems to help him. outside in winter though neither of them did very well.

xxx

Hi I have a snuffle bun too, V. He hates the baytril, we put it on mangetout or a leafy green.

I always thought buns were just mard. Until one day one of my previous buns flicked it out of their mouth and into my mouth - it is vile!! It leaves a really nasty aftertaste too!

Oh dear, I hope you manage to get some down him soon. What a nightmare! The first medication we were given for Ginger's snuffles was Baytril and we found it challenging too. Giving it to him by syringe was a two-person job, with one of us holding and stroking him and the other syringing it in. He'd take it on banana without too many problems though.

Every other medication we've ever had to give him has been easy - I think it's just Baytril that's such a pain.

Sending lots of swallowing vibes...

By crikey she's good at avoiding this stuff!! I thought we'd cracked it, a bunny choc button after the first 1ml syringe only saw her have a minute or two sulk. Yay, figured she was a typical girl and would do anything for chocolate..except the next syringe she bit onto OH's shirt collar and would not let go for anything. Thats some hard lock she has!! Hey ho. Was quicker tonight though, all done in 15 mins and she's back out and talking to me half hour later. Hope this vile stuff does its magic...

Oh and biscandmatt...about the syringe popping through matt's skin :shock: ..know exactly what you mean and still REALLY not liking it!!!:lol: Ellie's a lady hopefully she'll have soft ladylike skin haha!!

If you have no luck with baytril there is septrin and metranidazole and both taste nice. However the really good stuff is the penicillin which can ONLY be given by injection as it's lethal if given by mouth. Baytril is the safest antibiotic which is why vets always give it first so I hope it does work, even if it does taste vile. In the end with Grim I just pinned him down and pumped it in. I felt so bad as it really does taste awful (I tried it although I don't recommend that!).

By crikey she's good at avoiding this stuff!! I thought we'd cracked it, a bunny choc button after the first 1ml syringe only saw her have a minute or two sulk. Yay, figured she was a typical girl and would do anything for chocolate..except the next syringe she bit onto OH's shirt collar and would not let go for anything. Thats some hard lock she has!! Hey ho. Was quicker tonight though, all done in 15 mins and she's back out and talking to me half hour later. Hope this vile stuff does its magic...

Oh and biscandmatt...about the syringe popping through matt's skin :shock: ..know exactly what you mean and still REALLY not liking it!!!:lol: Ellie's a lady hopefully she'll have soft ladylike skin haha!!

yes, beautiful soft lady skin... like bisc! :shock::lol: (don't tell him i said that!)

Back