• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving Indoor Bunnies Out?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
We have two indoor bunnies, a bonded neutered pair. They are both around 3 years old and the male has been indoors all his life, the female was outdoors at the rescue when we got her 7 months ago, but has been indoors since. We are in Scotland, so the winters aren't kind.

They have plenty of room indoors, they free range in my son's bedroom, which is about 10ft x 12ft, maybe a bit bigger. They can get under his bed and have loads of hidey holes/houses in there. I give them several different types of hay and plenty of toys/stick/tunnels etc to play with and chew on. They also have their pellets in a treat ball to help keep them active and give them something to do, which they love. However, the female is a real chewer and although she loves the hay tunnels you can get, she makes a right mess chewing them up, not to mention it's noisy... :lol: She has also chewed the carpet a few times and I'm worried about her getting impacted or something because of it as well as the damage she is causing, which annoys my husband as we live in forces accommodation, so will have to pay for the damage when we move. On top of that, the girl doesn't always poop in her litter tray, although she always wees in there.

They do have a run in the garden which I have recently built and they do go in there on warm/dry days for a few hours or so. However, I am thinking about moving them outside permanently and can see that this would have advantages for the bunnies, but it will be costly and I'm not sure if it would be for the best for them in reality, especially the male having been indoors all of his life. (he does seem to love going out though)

I've been looking at accommodation and noticed someone had this kennel and run which I like the look of and we could fit the 10ft x 4ft (or a 10ft x 5ft if they could make one) on our existing patio.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dog-kenne...843&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=181137099219&

I would also be able to connect that to our existing run on the grass with a runaround, (although I think I'd only feel confident leaving access to it while we are home because of predators/digging) and could also possibly later on add another run and runaround tube to connect it all.
The obvious downsides to going outside would be the cold and that the would, initially at least, have less space. However, I feel that I can offer them more enrichment being outside and that I could put a wooden house/hutch and shelving etc in the kennel to make more space.

Does anyone more have any advice, suggestions or opinions on what they would do please? They'll be greatly received. :)

The kennel looks great! If you're going to move indoor bunnies out, you're sort of already doing the right thing. Take them outside regularly to get used to the weather and put them outside when they have a thicker coat. Insulate the kennel and put in lots of hay for the first few days. I've never had house bunnies myself, but someone on here would probably be able to advise you on preventing some of these problems.

It doesn't really have the space for lying down in, so it probably wouldn't be used. I insulated using several layers of bubble wrap. Try putting in a hay bale, they can dig in it and make their own burrows and it's an edible second layer :lol:. Just put the insulation on the roof, if there is an enclosed area they'll stay warm.

Back