• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house - advice on creating a new set up for 5 buns - update p12

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Hi All :wave:

I haven't been on here for a while as I have been going through a lot of changes at home. I am now splitting up with my partner and so my bunnies that currently live in the garage are going to need a whole new set up when I move. They live as 2 separate groups and need to kept that way as bonding them would be impossible.

I would be grateful if you lovely RU people could help me come up with some ideas on how to use the garden at the house I am moving to. I was planning on using the area at the bottom of the garden to park my car. The manholes in the garden have to remain accessible.

I keep going round in circles and am really worried as I need to get something ordered to coincide with the move which hopefully will be by the second week in December.

I really want them to be safe and be able to keep them well.

What would you do? Many thanks :wave::D

Last edited:
How big is the gravelled area by the double gates? Could you invest in a double kennel and run from Duchy kennels as this might work for that space and they install them for you?
If not go for one set up on the gravel and one on the patio where the storage bin is currently?
Or could you park on the gravel yourself and used the paved area at he end for an aviary or kennel set up split into two?

I would get a large shed and split it in two with welfare hutch company pipes leading to movable runs.

Or have a large aviary filling as much of the area as possible then put clear roofing panels on top of it and split it in two and get two double story hutches so you can keep hay etc in the top stories.

Last edited:
How about something like this either side of the middle 'path' (imaginary one leading to the step by the carparking!), facing the house? Then the run part will be over the man hole covers, so still accessible (I guess if someone needed to access you could lock the buns in the hutch temporarily?)

I love these setups, provide lots of room whilst still being compact and easy to clean. I've got them lined up as boarding accommodation when we move house and get a bigger garden!

https://boylespethousing.co.uk/product/walk-in-single-rabbit-hutches/

Hiya

I'm still not so sure of the size as have only viewed twice - I feel like such an idiot as I'm finding it all a bit confusing to figure out!

How about something like this either side of the middle 'path' (imaginary one leading to the step by the carparking!), facing the house? Then the run part will be over the man hole covers, so still accessible (I guess if someone needed to access you could lock the buns in the hutch temporarily?)

I love these setups, provide lots of room whilst still being compact and easy to clean. I've got them lined up as boarding accommodation when we move house and get a bigger garden!

https://boylespethousing.co.uk/product/walk-in-single-rabbit-hutches/

I see what you mean. The pics are quite deceiving as the garden isn't very big. You have the kennel don't you?

Is the gravel accessible for a car through the double gates? If so I think I'd use the paved area the far end for the rabbits.

Is the gravel accessible for a car through the double gates? If so I think I'd use the paved area the far end for the rabbits.

Yes it is accessible on to the gravel. I have decided that I will put the bunnies at the end of the garden and have runs attached with something like the runaround system.

I seem to have a knack of confusing myself right now! :lol:

Yes it is accessible on to the gravel. I have decided that I will put the bunnies at the end of the garden and have runs attached with something like the runaround system.

I seem to have a knack of confusing myself right now! :lol:

How about making that area an aviary, looks like you would need a front and roof only if the fencing is good, then have a divider to split in 2, and have a playhouse in each half, or a shed in the middle and split that in 2 either vertically or horizontally with the runaround tubes for entrance/exit

How about making that area an aviary, looks like you would need a front and roof only if the fencing is good, then have a divider to split in 2, and have a playhouse in each half, or a shed in the middle and split that in 2 either vertically or horizontally with the runaround tubes for entrance/exit

I see what you mean. I'm not sure about the fencing and how strong it is though and will have to check. The buns are used to being pretty much draft free so will definitely have to have somewhere cosy to hide up.

I am going to see if I can go back for another viewing and maybe take some pics of the area to remind me :wave: x

Hi again :wave::wave::wave:

It turns out that I can have a 12 x 6 shed on the paving at the back of the garden. Once that is sorted I will be able to look at having a run attached for each group of buns.

I think that I will have rethink their housing in the shed as they currently have a 5 x 2 x 3 storey hutch each which is permanently sited inside the garage. Millie and Dylan use all 3 floors of theirs and love the top floor for being nosey and badgering me for treats and its their bedroom, they use the middle floor as the dining room and the bottom floor like the hallway :lol:

Bessie, Lucky and Thomas rarely go above the ground floor and prefer to have boxes to hide in and destroy for entertainment so they don't get as much use out of the 3 floors.

Sorting out their new housing is exciting and confusing all at the same time! :lol:

Like the sound of a 12 x 6 shed. Plenty of room for extra levels too. Sounds like you know your rabbits and their particular needs. How wonderful to have such a big sheltered space for you and them.

Back